Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 02:26 PM

56 posts, read 41,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
You're right. So long as you are not in the inner cities with all the drug dealers and gang bangers, you're probly not going to get shot. Frankly, I don't think gang on gang violence should count in the statistics. As far as I'm concerned, them killing each other is a blessing to society.
The better way would be to prevent gangs in the first place. Because everytime two gangs fight each other, there will also be civilians or police officers involved.

Quote:
Not at all, and how could they be? I have owned guns my entire adult life, and never once have they made me commit any act of violence against anyone else.
Apparently you haven't. But many of your fellow Americans have used their guns against each other. And I don't mean to say that all Americans are violent by any means. But compared to Europe, Australia, Canada and other developed countries your still a very violent society. And I'm trying to find out why (and you should do the same. Instead of just insisting on your holy constitution)

Quote:
Average US citizens don't have access to fully automatic weaponry. Some of your comments on the gun problem in the US make me wonder if you know what you are talking about?
Some of my comments are exaggerations. But it's funny how, to you the weird part about my statement is the full auto weapon, and not the shooting of an inonncent child on private property...

However I thought that the level of gun control varies between states. That some have relatively strict gun laws and I also thought that full auto weapons are allowed in some states. But apparently I'm wrong. But there are still no proper background checks at gun shows etc. And the access to about any sort of weapons is way easier in the US than in any other developed country. AND what a "coincidence" you also have by far the highest rates of gun crime (and violent crime in general) in any of those countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 02:32 PM
SXT

10 posts, read 5,873 times
Who would live in Mass, CT. NY or Cal? High taxes and a lot of idiot politics. Move to a friendly state that does not trample on your rights.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:46 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
So you're going to shoot the bad guys?

How very pro-life of you.

Is everyone else down at life (but-only-until-you-pass-through-the-birth-canal) .com down at Walmart buying their guns tonight? Proof the conservatives aren't pro-life. They're as pro-death as anyone else.
Another post to make me chuckle... Very pro-terrorist of you and all...

Old 04-25-2013, 02:48 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSwissGuy View Post
The better way would be to prevent gangs in the first place. Because everytime two gangs fight each other, there will also be civilians or police officers involved.

Apparently you haven't. But many of your fellow Americans have used their guns against each other. And I don't mean to say that all Americans are violent by any means. But compared to Europe, Australia, Canada and other developed countries your still a very violent society. And I'm trying to find out why (and you should do the same. Instead of just insisting on your holy constitution)

Some of my comments are exaggerations. But it's funny how, to you the weird part about my statement is the full auto weapon, and not the shooting of an inonncent child on private property...

However I thought that the level of gun control varies between states. That some have relatively strict gun laws and I also thought that full auto weapons are allowed in some states. But apparently I'm wrong. But there are still no proper background checks at gun shows etc. And the access to about any sort of weapons is way easier in the US than in any other developed country. AND what a "coincidence" you also have by far the highest rates of gun crime (and violent crime in general) in any of those countries.
Mind your business because you don't really want to know anything, you just want to bash. If you were serious you would already know what the damn problem is. Who is it that are doing most of the shootings in our country???? Yep, you guessed it..BLACK and HISPANIC GANGS! What other countries have those problems?

Old 04-25-2013, 02:55 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXT View Post
Who would live in Mass, CT. NY or Cal? High taxes and a lot of idiot politics. Move to a friendly state that does not trample on your rights.
For Mass, best education (K-12 and higher ed) in the country, low rate of unemployment, demand for highly-skilled employees, sane social policies (gay marriage, Romneycare, gun control to name just a few), public transit in the eastern part of the state, and above all, good, educated, engaged people.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:50 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Hey, we actually agree on something! Now we just have to figure out how to do that?

Quote:
I'll just go ahead and stick with my "holy constitution" and the ignorant hilljacks that wrote it if it's all the same to you. It's only the founding document of the greatest, most free, richest, most powerful country in the entire world.

Quote:
That's not the part that struck me as weird, but after thinking about the sheer ignorance of the part about the child for a moment, I had decided it wasn't even worthy of a response.

Quote:
However I thought that the level of gun control varies between states. That some have relatively strict gun laws and I also thought that full auto weapons are allowed in some states. But apparently I'm wrong. But there are still no proper background checks at gun shows etc
Yes, you are wrong. There are no states where someone can just go to a gun shop and purchase a full auto machine gun. They are prohibited by federal law unless you have a class iii firearms license coupled with extensive background checks, paperwork and a 200$ tax stamp on each class iii firearm you own. Not only that, but they are extremely expensive costing thousands of dollars and are very cost prohibitive because of the expense of shooting them. They are also not good for any practical purpose.

And there certainly are Background checks at gun shows. Anytime you buy from a licensed dealer they must conduct a background check on the buyer or risk losing their license. The problem is with individuals who go to these gun shows and sell their private collections out of the trunk of their cars.

Quote:
And the access to about any sort of weapons is way easier in the US than in any other developed country. AND what a "coincidence" you also have by far the highest rates of gun crime (and violent crime in general) in any of those countries.
Oh yes, that's such a big coincidence isn't it? LOL, I always get a laugh out of you guys that cite countries who have confiscated their citizens guns as good examples of how gun control works. OF COURSE there are fewer gun related crimes in those countries, because there are fewer guns with which to commit crimes! Duh! Hey lets completely ban and confiscate knives, and I just bet the crime rate for those crimes with which a knife was used will go down.... Of course it will. You can't just look at gun crime, you have to look at crime in general. Will removing guns from the equation bring the overall crime rate down? According to what I've heard from reports about the UK, the answer is no, it didn't. Australias overall crime rate did go down after their passage of strict gun laws, but some speculate that the decrease in the rate was merely a continuation of an already existing downtrend, not to mention a low crime rate to begin with.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:37 AM

Quote:

I'll just go ahead and stick with my "holy constitution" and the ignorant hilljacks that wrote it if it's all the same to you. It's only the founding document of the greatest, most free, richest, most powerful country in the entire world.
Well the "greatest, most free and richest"-part are very subjective and debateable. But you're definetly the most powerful country. However this doesn't mean that everything you do is right. If every single aspect of your country was already perfect, then we wouldn't need to discuss any problems. Because there wouldn't be any in the first place.

Quote:
Oh yes, that's such a big coincidence isn't it? LOL, I always get a laugh out of you guys that cite countries who have confiscated their citizens guns as good examples of how gun control works. OF COURSE there are fewer gun related crimes in those countries, because there are fewer guns with which to commit crimes! Duh! Hey lets completely ban and confiscate knives, and I just bet the crime rate for those crimes with which a knife was used will go down.... Of course it will. You can't just look at gun crime, you have to look at crime in general. Will removing guns from the equation bring the overall crime rate down? According to what I've heard from reports about the UK, the answer is no, it didn't. Australias overall crime rate did go down after their passage of strict gun laws, but some speculate that the decrease in the rate was merely a continuation of an already existing downtrend, not to mention a low crime rate to begin with.
I have never talked exclusivley about gun crime. What I stated before were homicide rates, these also include stabbing and punching and poisoning etc. And your rate is still more than double that of any EU country! As I said I don't want to take away guns from the people and I don't think that guns alone are responsible for your violence problem. But I think your attitude towards guns is one of the reasons.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Mind your business because you don't really want to know anything, you just want to bash. If you were serious you would already know what the damn problem is. Who is it that are doing most of the shootings in our country???? Yep, you guessed it..BLACK and HISPANIC GANGS! What other countries have those problems?
Well I do actually want to find out. And a high number of blacks and hispanics is only a sufficient explanation if you believe that they have some sort of violence-gene (which I don't).

And do you really think that you are the only western country with immigration problems? Every single European country has more African immigrants than they can handle and that obviously brings huge problems. But your blacks aren't even immigrants! They have lived in your country and culture before the USA even were independent. And they have had the same rights as everybody else for about 50 years now. If you haven't managed to integrate them into your society yet, then that is your fault, just as much as it is theirs.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:30 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Well I do actually want to find out. And a high number of blacks and hispanics is only a sufficient explanation if you believe that they have some sort of violence-gene (which I don't).
That's not exactly true. Their could be other reasons for a higher crime rate within the black and Hispanic community other than a "violence-gene" when you take in to account the culture of the African American community vs. those in other parts of the world. The fact that their race was once enslaved, the fact that they had to fight for their civil rights, the fact that they were discriminated against, etc etc all play a role in the mentality of the black community in this country today. They did not endure these same struggles in other parts of the world, so naturally, the culture would be different in those countries.
Quote:
. If you haven't managed to integrate them into your society yet, then that is your fault, just as much as it is theirs.
I honestly believe that there are a great many that don't want to be integrated in to society. They insist on living in the past, fighting a battle that has been over for decades now. Perhaps it may be that there are some in the black community that don't want to accept the realities and hardships of equality, so they deny it exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies