Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2013, 07:17 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times

Advertisements

Self selection. Public schools take everyone, private schools pick and choose.

Although not all private schools are any good. Mine sucked big time and education was a myth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 07:19 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Private schools can choose their students.
First, it hasn't been established that private schools are better than private schools.
Second, a huge amount of resources are spent on handicapped and special needs students, who private schools aren't required to accept.
Third, in NY public schools must bus the students to their private school and also provide books.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:28 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I don't dispute that, I've spent over two decades teaching in public schools, and have done so successfully. It just aggravates the living heck out of me when people compare public and private schools because even if they both have kids, they are not the same.

Your child is by all means entitled to an education and, with a high IQ and a mild form of Asperger's, he is actually a good investment; with the right education he can be a real asset to society. However, every time he has a meltdown, education in his classroom stops, no matter how much the educators in the room work to avoid it. And I say educators, because depending on his age and severity his presence in the classroom may require two adults, making his education more expensive than the average child. Even if he is primarily on his own, there has to be a system in place to deal with him, just in case. I totally support educating him in the regular classroom and he is a prime example when inclusion is appropriate but I'm sorry, he is a burden that the private schools, nor the other students in the private school have to bear. The 5-20 minutes leading up to his meltdown, the 5-10 minutes it will take to get him calmed down or removed from the classroom during the meltdown, and the 5-15 minutes it takes to get the class back on track makes for between 15-45 minutes in which educational instruction is at best not optimal, at worst educationally useless. In the younger grades it can effectively shoot the day entirely. So while your son's scores might not be in the equation when they are comparing private and public student scores, they have not factored in the impact of his presence in the class either. It is just an example of why you can't fairly compare the two scores. Like I said, don't get me wrong, I loved my high-end Aspies, and absolutely agree with their mainstreaming - matter of fact, I think it borders on criminal to not mainstream them - but it does not come without cost to the other students in the class, if they are not in complete control. The bottom line is private schools don't have to take kids as they are, they don't have to take them at all, and they don't. It's like comparing salad made with hand picked gourmet, organic vegetation and salad made with whatever was on the shelf, or in the bins, at the local discount grocery. Sometimes it won't matter much, sometimes it will matter a great deal.

We find ourselves in violent agreement. I was just saying high IQ kids with issues as well as low IQ kids from poorer families will tend to be excluded from privates schools, and they'll tend to cause learning disruptions. I genuinely appreciate the investments made by special ed teachers for my son, and I am very sympathetic to the learning disruptions he has caused.

High functioning Aspies tend to improve markedly after about age 10, but they can be every bit as disruptive as low IQ or ADHD kids until then. I am thankful that society chose to support the education of my son, and I will be a lifelong supporter of public schools and public school teachers because of it.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:33 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Self selection. Public schools take everyone, private schools pick and choose.

Although not all private schools are any good. Mine sucked big time and education was a myth.
Could it be that private schools are required to compete for funding and have to attract students, whereas public schools, in general, have nothing to worry about with regard to funding? Of course there are exceptions, but one student leaving a public school is a win, one student leaving a private school means loss of tuition dollars.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:37 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I thought the government was all holy and all powerful, so why do public schools lag behind private schools. Even at the university level, when you rank schools, you have to get out of the Top 20 before you reach a public school. Liberals, if the government and public goods are so incredible, why do they lag behind private schools?
1. Because private schools can select their students.
2.The area and student body are going to play a huge role. For example, I would be more then happy to send any kids I had to Chapel Hill public schools...Chicago or LA public schools not so much.
3. At university level Public schools don't necessarily lag behind unless you consider Berkeley, UVA, UCLA, UNC, and U of M lagging behind. I would suggest that they are quite a bit better then a fair amount of private schools.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:41 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
At university level Public schools don't necessarily lag behind unless you consider Berkeley, UVA, UCLA, UNC, and U of M lagging behind.
At university level, publicly funded schools can select their students.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Private doesn't necessarily mean for profit. As it stands, the best universities are private. In K-12 your income determines the kind of education your kid is going to get. If you can only afford $100K for a house you aren't going to have access to the schools that people with $500K houses have access to.
That is not true in all districts. Some states have school equalization formulas and are not so dependent on local property taxes. Also, in these high end school districts, many kids will do well no matter who is teaching. They don't necessarily have better teachers.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:48 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
At university level, publicly funded schools can select their students.
Yes. There is often an in-state quota, but schools like UNC, UCLA, UC Berkeley, and UVA don't take all applicants. In fact, they take less then 1/3.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:53 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Could it be that private schools are required to compete for funding and have to attract students, whereas public schools, in general, have nothing to worry about with regard to funding? Of course there are exceptions, but one student leaving a public school is a win, one student leaving a private school means loss of tuition dollars.
All the private schools in my area are religious and have a waiting list. I think it has less to do with the overall education and more to do with the religious teachings.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:56 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times
Primary reason: Parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies