Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 08:08 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
Just to clarify the above specifically:

Illegal entry absolutely is a criminal offense, Title 8 US criminal code. Illegal presence is a civil offense.
Do you mean 8USC 1325 Improper entry? You do know that US Immigration Law is class Administative and not criminal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 11:20 PM

29,815 posts, read 24,895,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
More than that, he PUT HIMSELF through the academy instead of having a PD sponsor him. Now that's impressive.
"Santa Cruz police are extremely choosy about hiring. They won't hire an officer who has smoked marijuana or done other drugs within years, but they hired one they knew broke the law."

And someone who smoked a joint when they were 16 could do the same thing... Except, the PD would not hire them. It's a complete double standard. One law is OK to break in the eye's of the PD, but the other isn't and will exclude you for a career in law enforcement.

It also means that if he happens to come across any illegals on patrol, he may turn a blind eye. But thankfully, since he hasn't used recreational drugs in the past, he will bust everyone from the hard core dealer down to that 16 year old kid who is taking the first puff. I would be much more concerned about the flood of illegals, (many of which are directly involved in the drug trade) than that 16 year old looking to catch a first buzz of some ditch weed (probably brought in from across the Mexican boarder).

Old 04-23-2013, 11:40 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,753,760 times
Why don't you guys get it: immigrants are NOT loyal to the US. They put their home country (or religion) first.

I'm an immigrant too (not a US citizen, just live in the US) and honestly I don't think I'll ever put the US ahead of my home country.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:51 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,169,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Why don't you guys get it: immigrants are NOT loyal to the US. They put their home country (or religion) first.

I'm an immigrant too (not a US citizen, just live in the US) and honestly I don't think I'll ever put the US ahead of my home country.
I am first and foremost an Oregonian, so what's your point? Nothing wrong with loving your hometown more.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:00 AM

137 posts, read 136,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
He has a criminal past.

He was an illegal immigrant.
This is incorrect. Where are you getting this? Being undocumented is a civil offense. It is not a criminal offense.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:24 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,354,404 times
One illegal entry into the U.S. is a misdemeanor. The second illegal entry becomes a felony.

If the policeman was never deported after he came here, and was never arrested for illegal entry, then applied and became a citizen, he is qualified and has no criminal history on his record. With fully legal status and no criminal record, he was fully eligible to become a policeman.

A person has to be found guilty by a court of law before he is officially considered to be a criminal in the United States. We are a nation whose laws presume innocence until proven otherwise, not guilt until proven innocent.

Millions of misdemeanors are done every day. Most of the perpetrators are never arrested nor tried. All did the crime, but only those who were found guilty are considered criminals in the eyes of the law.

As we all know, the Court Of Public Opinion doesn't count for squat. if it did, Casey Anthony would be in prison right now.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:14 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,753,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I am first and foremost an Oregonian, so what's your point? Nothing wrong with loving your hometown more.
Of course nothing wrong.
But immigrants should NOT be cops, politicians or high level military officials.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:27 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
1. Santa Cruz PD won't hire anyone who has smoked marijuana.

2. We voted for somebody to become president of the United States who has used harder drugs than pot.
More than once.
Don't forget Bush.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:03 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:

And I'm a US citizen who lives outside of the US.
I always put the country where I live ahead of the US.

See, not everyone is the same.

Quote:
Of course nothing wrong.
But immigrants should NOT be cops, politicians or high level military officials.
Why not?
It's not your country (as you said) so why should we care about your opinion?
If you're a citizen, you have every right that every other citizen has.
(Unless it's being president).
That's how the US works, unless you're gay; then you have fewer rights than other citizens.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:04 AM

29,815 posts, read 24,895,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
One illegal entry into the U.S. is a misdemeanor. The second illegal entry becomes a felony.

If the policeman was never deported after he came here, and was never arrested for illegal entry, then applied and became a citizen, he is qualified and has no criminal history on his record. With fully legal status and no criminal record, he was fully eligible to become a policeman.

A person has to be found guilty by a court of law before he is officially considered to be a criminal in the United States. We are a nation whose laws presume innocence until proven otherwise, not guilt until proven innocent.

Millions of misdemeanors are done every day. Most of the perpetrators are never arrested nor tried. All did the crime, but only those who were found guilty are considered criminals in the eyes of the law.

As we all know, the Court Of Public Opinion doesn't count for squat. if it did, Casey Anthony would be in prison right now.
But when they administer the lie detector test, the kid that smoked the joint in his youth will fail the drug related question and be automatically qualified. Doesn't matter if he got caught or not. That's fine, the PD can be as particular as they would like. As far I'm concerned though, this guy's offense was just as much deserving of a DQ than the past occasional pot smoker.

You guys are all arguing whether it's a felony, a misdemeanor, blah, blah, blah. It doesn't matter if you got caught or not when you take the lie detector/psychological exam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And I'm a US citizen who lives outside of the US.
I always put the country where I live ahead of the US.

See, not everyone is the same.
Maybe America doesn't invoke the patriotic spirit it once did??? I guess an unjustified war and years of reckless/destructive politics can have that effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies