Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 09:36 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
And you in turn have proved my point. Why should involuntary renters - those unable to buy a home - bear a tax penalty for not being able to buy a home? Isn't that like soaking the poor?
I never said they should. Read my posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 09:43 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Rebate what? You aren't paying anything to "rebate". Or do YOU want to write the property tax check, and you can get that rebate?

Landlord to me: "The property taxes went up again so I have to raise the rent." Michigan law specifically allows tax increases during the term of a lease to be passed to the renter.

How am I not paying anything? I pay up the wazoo month after month after month. The property taxes on the home in which I live are $1,500 higher because it's a rental, it's a dedicated, itemized tax visible for all to see.

I actually made a deal with a previous landlord to break out the property taxes separately, so that I explicitly paid more when property taxes went up, and explicitly paid less (rent reduction) when property taxes went down. I think that should be standard practice.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:47 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
It's not available because renters don't pay the tax. Do you pay tax, as a renter? I don't mean your landlord does, then you rationalize by saying that because you pay rent to the landlord, you are paying the tax. Do you pay property tax?

The landlord increases the rent every time his property taxes go up. What do you make of that? Is he just greedy or is there a direct connection between property taxes and the rent?

Old 04-23-2013, 10:04 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Quote:
Then the solution is to allow the private sector (developers) to sell homes that low-wage people can afford to buy. I don't have a problem with higher taxes on voluntary renters, but why should involuntary renters bear a tax penalty for not being able to buy a home?
I understand what you're saying. What is an involountary renter? That really doesn't make sense.

BUT,not all renters are low income. I'm not,however,that's just the way the state of Nj is.

There are poor people in Nc that own mobile homes,and middle class in Nyc that rent.

I personally say get rid of it all.
Its like property owners vs non property owners.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:06 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
In a roundabout way you just proved my point. If your house is a rental property you are longer eligible for the homestead exemption. Thus, your property taxes would already be at the higher level.

The mortgage payment isn't going to apply to anyone that doesn't have a mortgage, but everyone pays property taxes. Even among people that do have a mortgage the payment will vary based on your credit and down payment.
but we are talking about rental properties in this thread, not personal dwellings so your point, if you have one, is moot.

Quote:
??? Simple solution, tax all dwellings at the same rate. That might mean fewer dollars for the teachers' unions. Why do many conservatives want everyone to pay the same income tax rate but not the same property tax rate?
it doesnt matter, when the tax rate goes up, you will still be paying higher rents. fact of life. so either buy a house, or stop moaning about it.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:14 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
but we are talking about rental properties in this thread, not personal dwellings so your point, if you have one, is moot.

it doesnt matter, when the tax rate goes up, you will still be paying higher rents. fact of life. so either buy a house, or stop moaning about it.
You brought up taxes going up on homeowners in post #22 whereas I was talking about taxes going down on rentals/businesses and up on homeowners in post #14.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:49 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Landlord to me: "The property taxes went up again so I have to raise the rent." Michigan law specifically allows tax increases during the term of a lease to be passed to the renter.

How am I not paying anything? I pay up the wazoo month after month after month. The property taxes on the home in which I live are $1,500 higher because it's a rental, it's a dedicated, itemized tax visible for all to see.

I actually made a deal with a previous landlord to break out the property taxes separately, so that I explicitly paid more when property taxes went up, and explicitly paid less (rent reduction) when property taxes went down. I think that should be standard practice.
That was a nice arrangement for you, but the owner had no obligation to agree to it.
He owns the home you live in. You do not.

A homeowner is not required to raise his renter's payments if the property taxes go up. Raising the rent is his option. As a renter, the homeowner is only obligated to fulfill whatever is in the rental contract; no more or no less. Any renter is at the mercy of the contract terms; if there is no clause that forbids raising the rent, no renter is forced to sign the contract.

That's one of the advantages of renting. A renter can move out at any time if his contract is fulfilled. Renters don't have to foot the expense of the home insurance, upkeep, improvements, or utilities if any aren't included in the contract.
Most contracts actually forbid renters from arbitrarily painting a room, for example, even if the owner likes the color of the paint. If a renter falls off a ladder and breaks a leg doing so, the landlord is liable for the costs of the injury. A landlord could lose his insurance by permitting the renter to paint even if no injury occurred. Try finding cheaper home insurance once a company cancels you.
The renter does not have to worry about that.

As a renter, your own individual property insurance will be lower if your rental is safe, secure and in good shape. The landlord spends the money that directly benefits you, not him, in this instance.

There are instances where raising the rent actually may work against a property owner. It may be better to show a loss than a profit on a rental if it is an advantage in an owner's total taxes. Any number of tax breaks on a loss can be factored into to the owner's property tax.

At the same time, any renter is dependent on the owner's responsibility. If an owner does not pay his property taxes and loses his rental, the renter has no recourse but to move out if the property is sold and the new owner decides not to rent it any longer.

If you don't like the deal, don't sign the rental contract. It's as simple as that. Another rental can always be found, and all in all, the laws favor the renter slightly more than the owner. Renters also have more options than the owner as well.

Last edited by banjomike; 04-24-2013 at 12:59 AM..

Old 04-24-2013, 04:21 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:

I have never heard of being able to raise the rent during the lease, I thought one of the purposes of a lease was to stabilize the rent for the duration of the lease.

By the way, I would never rent to you. Any potenial renter that asked to have the taxes itemized would send the PITA alarm bells into a frenzy.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:09 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
If it's about making evil landlords pay higher taxes, why not rebate those higher taxes directly to renters?

e.g. the nonhomestead tax in Michigan is a discrete tax which is easy for all to see and quantify, and thus could easily be rebated to renters.
Why would you rebate money to someone, who the money doesnt belong to?

Translation, you want more welfare, to subsidize that $12K a year income because you refuse to earn more..

Old 04-24-2013, 05:11 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:

Then it sounds like your gripe is with government, which is ironic considering you non stop demand more.

So to follow the timeline, you want more government, so you can moan about more government..

yes, its as silly as it sounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies