Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 07:34 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Actually there are, the ones I know who want a title think of themselves as Anglo-Americans.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Anglo-american - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Centuries since the revolution have been dominated by the history and POV of the OP's extinct 'Anglo-American'.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 07:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I am english;german French and welsh.Relatives were previous;y known as german americans ;french americans and because the english ones came before the revoluaitonay war they were english living in american as settlers. Now I am just anglo american.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:49 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
I also am known as a Mexican-American, but probably because my ancestors were here before there was even a colony on the East coast of what the United States, or for more accurate dates, 140 years before the Seven Years' War.

Mostly Spanish a drop or two of French, and some mestizo towards the end...but for sure an 'American' before it was cool to be one.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:03 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
I mostly identify as Italian-American because it's more then anything else, but on the other side there is some mostly Scottish, with some English, Irish, French, Dutch and Scandinavian thrown in. So I suppose I could call myself Anglo-American, but generally when folks ask I just say 1/2 Italian 1/2 random Northern European.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Quite a few Americans very proudly state their English ancestry. I don't know what Americans you have spoken to. The only region in America where English ancestry falls into lower rankings is the upper midwest and Northeast. In the South, it is dominant.
Depends which part of the Northeast, Northern New England is very Anglo Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont etc. With that said I am pretty sure the dominant single ancestry in the South is African.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:59 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Depends which part of the Northeast, Northern New England is very Anglo Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont etc. With that said I am pretty sure the dominant single ancestry in the South is African.
I thought about pointing that out in my post that aside from African heritage, English is dominant in the South. I figured people would just assume I was only referring to white ancestries. If we are including non-white ancestries then English, German, and Irish all fall in the rankings across the country immensely.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Quite a few Americans very proudly state their English ancestry. I don't know what Americans you have spoken to. The only region in America where English ancestry falls into lower rankings is the upper midwest and Northeast. In the South, it is dominant.

You also have to realize the intermixing that has occurred in this country over the centuries. Particularly among the English, German, and Irish. My biological father (I don't speak to him) has a German last name (his paternal great grandfather was from Germany) and his maternal grandfather was from Germany as well.

I, however, have an English last name (my mother's maiden name. I actually changed it to her's when I was 22 years old). Both of my mother's grandmothers were almost entirely German descended (one of them had a father from Austria). Both of her grandfathers were mostly English descended.

With my English last name, which ancestry should I choose?

I always state American when asked of ancestry. If I HAD to choose one of the two, I would pick English, as that matches my last name. I have a good claim to the German ancestry as well though.
The OP wasn't talking to anyone. He read an article in that rag, the Telegraph, source of all knowledge about all things American. (Sarc on!)

Old 04-23-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
I thought about pointing that out in my post that aside from African heritage, English is dominant in the South. I figured people would just assume I was only referring to white ancestries. If we are including non-white ancestries then English, German, and Irish all fall in the rankings across the country immensely.
Even with African Exclude I don't think English would be the dominant ancestry in the south. I would suspect that more to be Scots-Irish/"American." Additionally if you include non-white ancestry Germany is still the biggest ancestry. African ancestry drops off outside the big cities and the south, and Mexican ancestry drops off outside the southwest. Most of the country is German Ancestry plurality, with parts of the Northeast being English, Irish, and Italian and Utah being English.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:26 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
You don't hear people refer to themselves as "Dutch-Americans," "Swedish-Americans," "French-Americans," etc. either. Why are "Irish-American" and "Italian-American," both common? Maybe just because they had a vibrant culture that they tend to hang onto much longer than other immigrant groups. Consider Irish music & Italian music vs. say German or Swedish folk music. If the music/dance/art from the old country sucked, you probably dropped it soon after you came over to America. The answer could be as simple as that.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:31 PM

314 posts, read 486,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I imagine because we British-Americans are just considered to be American by default.
Becuase without the British, we wouldnt have had anyone to declare independence from. But atleast you English gave us a hard fight and nearly crushed us (were it not for some lucky breaks on the American side). The French would've asked where to surrender on the way to declaring rebellion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies