Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 09:47 PM

138 posts, read 154,678 times

Advertisements

I could be wrong, but would the marriage issue be important to gays who don't have jobs or benefits? Maybe, but I doubt it.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:54 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,239,673 times
Jobs is a small part of it. Political activism for gay interests has long been in the purview of the white, gay mainstream experience. Unfortunately, the white gay power structure has historically mirrored that of their straight counterparts vis-a-vis its exclusion of black gays and gays of other racial minority groups. To this day, there is still a measure of racial division extant in the gay community that frequently goes unaddressed by those outside looking in. This has resulted in sub-groups within the gay community developing their own interests and focus. In fact, I would say a more pressing concern among black gays would be the racial and economic issues they have to face as black gay men both in the gay community and outside of it.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:54 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,904 times
Yep. I see this as the guerrilla post I suspected it to be. There's not real issue up for discussion. An erroneous statement clouded in the guise of "personal observation" to try and make an argument tha has no basis in actual fact. I see through it, and I'm sure many others here do, too.

Fail.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:57 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose532 View Post
I am not familiar with the dynamics of Hispanic groups in the U.S. Do gay Hispanics have good jobs and benefits like many of the white gays?
Unknown. I don't personally know any gay Hispanics.

[i imagine it depends on the job they have]

Old 04-23-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Jobs is a small part of it. Political activism for gay interests has long been in the purview of the white, gay mainstream experience. Unfortunately, the white gay power structure has historically mirrored that of their straight counterparts vis-a-vis its exclusion of black gays and gays of other racial minority groups. To this day, there is still a measure of racial division extant in the gay community that frequently goes unaddressed by those outside looking in. This has resulted in sub-groups within the gay community developing their own interests and focus. In fact, I would say a more pressing concern among black gays would be the racial and economic issues they have to face as black gay men both in the gay community and outside of it.
+1 thanks for the insightful post!

Old 04-23-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
Yep. I see this as the guerrilla post I suspected it to be. There's not real issue up for discussion. An erroneous statement clouded in the guise of "personal observation" to try and make an argument tha has no basis in actual fact. I see through it, and I'm sure many others here do, too.

Fail.
Are you denying what Mr. Sykes wrote? His post seems honest and truthful. Why deny his information?

Old 04-23-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Unknown. I don't personally know any gay Hispanics.

[i imagine it depends on the job they have]
I guess I assumed that gay blacks and hispanics in America do not view marriage equality under the same lens as white gays, because they will not benefit from it, if they don't have viable employment and good jobs with benefits, like many of the white gay.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:10 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose532 View Post
I guess I assumed that gay blacks and hispanics in America do not view marriage equality under the same lens as white gays, because they will not benefit from it, if they don't have viable employment and good jobs with benefits, like many of the white gay.
I think that it is a multi-faceted issue.

1) White's are the majority, and would therefore be the majority in any naturally occuring population, and therefore more visible.

2) Whites have more money. This gives them an opportunity to spend more time on their chosen issues.

3) As a poster above stated, homosexuality is most likely more accepted in the white community than it is in the black or hispanic communities(See prop 8).

Old 04-23-2013, 10:12 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Homosexual Americans in general have higher salaries and "disposable income" than heterosexual Americans - but I honestly have no idea how that breaks down by race. Personally I have a few non-white friends who are gay, and they have very good jobs... including a lawyer, hair salon manager, cocktail waitress (with benefits, which she needs for her children), etc. So until I see actual statistics on what you claim, I can only assume this is merely your opinion.

Oh, and I'm a straight woman who will fight for gay rights until they are achieved. So it's not just the gays fighting this fight!

Old 04-23-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I think that it is a multi-faceted issue.

1) White's are the majority, and would therefore be the majority in any naturally occuring population, and therefore more visible.

2) Whites have more money. This gives them an opportunity to spend more time on their chosen issues.

3) As a poster above stated, homosexuality is most likely more accepted in the white community than it is in the black or hispanic communities(See prop 8).
Are white people more accepting of homosexuality because they are less likely to believe in God?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies