Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 12:03 AM

138 posts, read 154,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Turkey is not Iran. There are differing degrees of oppression in the Middle East. Not quite free and open in Turkey, I would say regarding your own earlier comments.
I was really talking about my specific community, but I don't want to give the impression that Turkey is not a free and open society to live in, if you are abiding by the laws.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:27 AM

596 posts, read 729,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose532 View Post
I have to be honest, I lived a number of years in London, I am not really familiar with all of the dynamics with America (because I am originally from Turkey).

What I have seen are poor blacks mostly in the US, although there are wealthy ones too, but it doesn't seem to be the majority. I did not know that blacks were gay because I mostly see very macho black guys, but I have seen a few wearing dresses, now I know there are some black gays. I wondered why they were not protesting and I guessed it was due to their employment status.

This is an honest question, will poor gays be able to afford the adoption that you speak of? Also, not many will qualify for any inheritance if they do not have money or stocks, right? I do not know what you are referring to with hospital visitation? I thought that is determined by the health proxy?
I think you have the wrong (or perhaps just stereotypical) idea of what a gay person looks like. Most gay men, regardless of race, don't walk around wearing dresses. Also, there are all kinds of black people in the US. I'm not sure where you get the idea that you keep repeating that most black gay people don't have jobs, and that's why they don't care about marriage equality. Yes there are poor black people here, as well as poor people of other races. But there are also middle class, upper middle class, and wealthy black people. Again, just like other races. No, the majority of black people in the US aren't wealthy, but that is true for all other races in the US as well. The very poor and the very wealthy are the extreme ends of the spectrum. Most Americans, regardless of race, fall somewhere in between.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:17 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
I am not reading other posts before I make my post. My thought is that because particularly in the African-American community they are forced to be a man and most gay African-Americans go on the "down-low" kind of like what most homosexuals did up through the 70's. I don't think it is as much of an economic thing as you would think.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:25 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I am not reading other posts before I make my post. My thought is that because particularly in the African-American community they are forced to be a man and most gay African-Americans go on the "down-low" kind of like what most homosexuals did up through the 70's. I don't think it is as much of an economic thing as you would think.
As you pointed out it's not "economic" but "cultural". There are tons of Gay African Americans ( a lot of them bi-sexual) but never fully come out because of their family and religion.
They still consider being "Gay" a Sin.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:04 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,836,753 times
Quote:
This is a serious question.

Is this the reason, or am I wrong in assuming this?
I think you are correct.

The SSM crew tend to be money-grabbing liberals.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:49 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,479,708 times
The televised/popular image of LGBT rights and marriage equality is the gay, middle class, coastal white man. Up until recently, the televised/popular imagine of the LGBT community were the most flamboyant and over-the-top marchers in a city's gay pride parade. Neither is representative of the entire ***** community.

The LGBT community is comprised of people from all races, classes, and education levels, from a kid born in the ghetto to an ivy league/trust fund boy showing off his partner at the charity gala.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:49 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,593,285 times
Quote:

I rarely see any non whites fighting on the front lines for gay issues? I know America has many gays of all colors. Maybe it's because gay black males are least likely to have jobs with benefits, than white gays? The same is probably true for Hispanics. Is it not mostly gay white men and gay white women who have better employment than gay non whites so logically they will be fighting to get their partner's benefits, but this is not a concern for gay blacks or Hispanics because their partners do not usually have any jobs with benefits.

I am trying to understand? Can anyone explain??
Well,gays only make up about 2% or so of the population. So minorities will obviously be an even smaller % of that.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:24 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:

I rarely see any non whites fighting on the front lines for gay issues? I know America has many gays of all colors. Maybe it's because gay black males are least likely to have jobs with benefits, than white gays? The same is probably true for Hispanics. Is it not mostly gay white men and gay white women who have better employment than gay non whites so logically they will be fighting to get their partner's benefits, but this is not a concern for gay blacks or Hispanics because their partners do not usually have any jobs with benefits.

Maybe you should as Pam Spaulding and her wife? Pam is one of the most well known lesbian bloggers/activists for marriage equality. She's African American.

http://pamshouseblend.firedoglake.co...pam-spaulding/

Pam's House Blend

Pam Spaulding | Facebook

Old 04-24-2013, 09:58 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
I have to be honest, I lived a number of years in London, I am not really familiar with all of the dynamics with America (because I am originally from Turkey).

What I have seen are poor blacks mostly in the US, although there are wealthy ones too, but it doesn't seem to be the majority. I did not know that blacks were gay because I mostly see very macho black guys, but I have seen a few wearing dresses, now I know there are some black gays. I wondered why they were not protesting and I guessed it was due to their employment status.

This is an honest question, will poor gays be able to afford the adoption that you speak of? Also, not many will qualify for any inheritance if they do not have money or stocks, right? I do not know what you are referring to with hospital visitation? I thought that is determined by the health proxy?
Stereotypes are hard to break, but I thought the " gay males love to wear dresses" was known to be false. The VAST majority of cross-dressers are straight. Some estimate as much as 94 percent. Then you have transgendered people which is a whole other category.

The reason people think it's mainly a gay male thing are getting their views from stereotypes presented by media, and by what they see in their own lives. Straight males who cross-dress do it in the privacy of their own homes or private clubs, sometimes they will go to a gay bar since they know they won't be harassed, but most don't, however transgendered people seem more comfortable in a gay bar rather than a straight one. Anyone who does see these men just assume they are gay when in fact they are most likely straight or transgendered.

The men who cross-dress in gay society are usually Drag Queens, in other words they do it as performers in clubs. These guys usually exaggerate a women's looks with big wigs and flashy outfits ( remember they are entertainers ). These guys do not dress like this everyday. However as with everything in life there are varying degrees and reasons why men of all sexualities cross-dress.

Most gay men are invisible. People tag on a sexuality from their own observations. That's why when a sport figure comes out ( and it's happening more and more ) people are surprised, but the gay community isn't since we know and have known that gay men and woman don't fit societies ideas of who we are.

What All Women And Men Should Know About Crossdressers : I Want to Know If You Think Crossdressers Are Gay Story & Experience

They are many other sites that talk about this, just Google them.

Here is a " drag queen " performing, although this guys talent separates him from the mainstream and is referred to as a " female impersonator" since he uses his OWN voice. He does not dress as a woman, except to perform. I know this because I know people who know him. I actually believe you will enjoy this performance.

Jimmy James as Marilyn Monroe - Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend - YouTube

Last edited by Natnasci; 04-24-2013 at 10:57 AM..

Old 04-24-2013, 11:07 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:

IMHO it's actually White heterosexual females driving this they seem to be behind much of the stupid liberal ideas these days.

During the FB equality sign day almost all my FB friends who changed their profile pic were white women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies