Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 01:54 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,190,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Poor Mojo? Seriously? The link is a php link, and it's not working anyway.

I did find this crazy piece put out by Think Progress claiming that scientists trying to link a head injury to the cause. In the article they say this:

And then they quote the experts, who clearly say that they don't believe that's the cause:

Why Boston Marathon Bombing Suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev's Autopsy Should Include A Check For CTE | ThinkProgress

So Think Progress disputes their own premise with the actual quotes from the scientists. I guess they expect that their readership will jump like Pavlov's dogs at the headline and not read the actual content.
And apparently they were correct about that. lol

Since 911, there has been the Fort Hood shooting, the Boston bombing, the underwear bomber, the shoe bomber, the Benghazi murders, the Canada plot, and more. And all of those attacks/attempted attacks share on common thread.

[Hint: It's not boxing or being IRA members.]
The link is working fine for me. The Think Progress piece you linked to is based on original reporting by Boston.com, which I'm linking to again. As I've said--over and over--they aren't saying that traumatic brain injury could cause someone to become a terrorist, but that it's worth researching because risk taking behavior and sudden personality changes are consistent with that type of brain trauma. You're being ridiculous with this, but then you know that. At least you're consistent.

Researchers urge special brain autopsy of bombing suspect - Marathon - Boston.com

Nice cherry picking of the quotes by the way--you left this part out:

"Both researchers said they considered CTE when they learned of Tsarnaev’s boxing background. Tsarnaev, 26, had fought most of his life after his father introduced him to the sport as a child. He won numerous regional titles in New England Golden Gloves competition and advanced to the national championships in 2009. Athletes as young as 17 have been diagnosed with CTE. Many other young athletes have been diagnosed with the disease after they committed suicide or engaged in other aberrant behavior."

Old 04-24-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Per the article I linked to, it would be very interesting to see what Ted Bundy's brain could tell us, or what the brains of other serial killers, or mass murderers, or even arsonists can tell us. It's not about excusing what these terrible people have done, but understanding the human brain seems to me to be a worthwhile endeavor. Even if we can't prevent future tragedies, we can still apply what we learn about the brain to people who've had strokes or other brain injuries, or who develop brain tumors. Just look how far we've come since Broca's Brain.
Exactly, although researchers may be able to find that some of it CAN be prevented by finding ways to protect the brain better in sports with a higher risk of traumatic brain injury. We still have a long way to go in understanding brain function, and this type of research could be invaluable. I'm not sure where the fear of science is coming from--if people are afraid that if we find a biological cause for some behavior that it might shatter their belief system? I don't get it.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:12 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,488,465 times
Before everyone gets too carried away by this brain research, I want to sound a word of caution. A while back, NPR did a story about either DNA or brain research concerning criminals. One of the reporters had his brain/DNA analyzed and was horrified to find he fit the protocol for being a vile criminal. Unfortunately, NPR has a worse search engine even than CD, and I could not find the story, though I've been looking. Anyway, the reporter's point, supported by the researchers, was that just because one's brain has these "markers", that doesn't really mean anything. One of these articles I wish to heck I'd bookmarked. (I checked all my bookmarks, believe me.)

Old 04-24-2013, 02:16 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,570,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Over the past decade, 88% of terrorist crimes in the United States have no relation to Islam. It's lovely that you ignore eco-terrorism, and anti-abortion terrorism, and random terrorism, to promote your anti-Muslim bias, but choosing to ignore them is not rational. Terrorism is ALWAYS a political act. Obviously, religion can provide a political motivation, just as racism can provide a political motivation, or ecology can provide a political motivation. What ties terrorism together is EXTREMISM. And another example of extremism--trying to demonize a religion or any group for the acts of a few individuals.
You guys are bending over backward trying to ignore all the motives of these Boston bombers -- and the 9-11 terrorists and all the others.

I bet anything if this had turned out to be some Aryan race thing, you guys would be taking a whole different view and would not look so kindly on the killers.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You guys are bending over backward trying to ignore all the motives of these Boston bombers -- and the 9-11 terrorists and all the others.

I bet anything if this had turned out to be some Aryan race thing, you guys would be taking a whole different view and would not look so kindly on the killers.
Nobody is "looking kindly on the killers." Sane people aren't willing to blame an entire religion for the actions of extremist nuts. If the bombing had been done by white supremacists (Christian Identity Movement--the Christian version of Al Qaeda in the US), would people like you be bending over backwards to say that it was because of Christianity, and that Christianity at its core promotes terrorism? That's EXACTLY what some of you are trying to do to Muslims.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:25 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,083,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Before everyone gets too carried away by this brain research, I want to sound a word of caution. A while back, NPR did a story about either DNA or brain research concerning criminals. One of the reporters had his brain/DNA analyzed and was horrified to find he fit the protocol for being a vile criminal. Unfortunately, NPR has a worse search engine even than CD, and I could not find the story, though I've been looking. Anyway, the reporter's point, supported by the researchers, was that just because one's brain has these "markers", that doesn't really mean anything. One of these articles I wish to heck I'd bookmarked. (I checked all my bookmarks, believe me.)
Is this what you were looking for?

Inside The Criminal Brain : NPR

http://www.npr.org/2013/04/05/176303...epeat-offender

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=127888976

Old 04-24-2013, 02:28 PM

33,510 posts, read 18,080,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Mom was charged with two counts of malicious/wanton damage and defacement to property after allegedly swiping $1600 in merchandise from a Lord & Taylor in Natick, Mass. in June 2012.

She was not deported because she was not convicted because she failed to show up in court. Thus the outstanding warrant.

Sort of interesting that she was caught shoplifting from Lord & Taylor and it was Lord & Taylor's ( different branch) cameras that identified her sons.

Alex Jones could have a field day with this one.
I wonder if she is so religious why is she stealing? It doesn't reflect a good moral code to her radical beliefs.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:31 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,488,465 times
Yes! This one!
A Neuroscientist Uncovers A Dark Secret : NPR

Thank you so much! I'll rep you if I can, and if I can't, I'll do it eventually. Everyone should read this before getting too hung up on this brain stuff.

That's not to say that the defense won't try to use some information like this. I'd like to be on that jury. (Don't live in MA.)

Old 04-24-2013, 02:32 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

No one is looking kindly on the Tsarnaevs.

No one is ignoring their motives.

Pointing out the terrorists hail from all over the globe, from just about every religion, from just about every ethnicity, is simply pointing out facts.

Pointing out that demonizing one particular religion is in itself an example of extremism is also pointing out facts.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:33 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes! This one!
A Neuroscientist Uncovers A Dark Secret : NPR

Thank you so much! I'll rep you if I can, and if I can't, I'll do it eventually. Everyone should read this before getting too hung up on this brain stuff.

That's not to say that the defense won't try to use some information like this. I'd like to be on that jury. (Don't live in MA.)
I repped him for you. And because these articles are very interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.