Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 09:57 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,372,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finley01 View Post
I remember when Bill Clinton was elected. The Right couldn't stand him and they immediately came up with an Arkansas scandal about his involvement in a real estate deal called Whitewater. For eight straight years the Republicans tried to remove him from office. After investigations by every goverment agency known to man they settled for a blow job. The day the Republican house impeached him every Democrat walked out. Man Alive they had the senate on a fast track to remove Clinton from office till billionaire publisher Larry Flynt dug up abortions, daliences, etc. on the Republicans and the newly elected speaker of the house Bob Livingston had to resign and Henry Hyde didn't run again after their affairs were reported. Turned out that rep Bob Barr had paid for an abortion for his first wife after standing on his soap box screaming pro-life for his whole career. The best part is that Flynt told them all that he had other things he would release if they removed Clinton from office. Guess What Sport's Fans?? The senate did not remove him from office and during his final year his approval rating rose to the mid 60's.

Bottom line is that Republicans are sore losers and since they've lost the popular vote in five of the last six presidential elections they're boiling over. Benghazi is a tempest in a tea pot and the people who were killed were drawing big salaries plus hazardous duty pay for every month they served. They went to one of the most dangerous places in the world volunteerily and were smart enough to know why the pay was that good. Like other Americans I feel sorry for those who died and their friends and families but how quick we forget. George Bush farted around getting some tax cuts for the wealthy passed and 9/11 was no Benghazi....that's the bastard who should have been impeached. The WTC had already been hit once in 1993 and Bin Laden had been quoted as saying he was wanting to use passenger jets as weapons and the hijackers were in America receiving training on...get this, taking off and flying but did not take the training on how to land. The FBI and CIA had both been alerted of these facts but Bush got his tax cuts.

This deserves a bump.

14,302 posts, read 14,099,588 times
Quote:
Hillary is gonna run for President in 3 years
Yes, and she'll win if the best the GOP can do is field someone like Ron Paul or even Marco Rubio. The GOP is playing with "B Team" and Hillary is "A" Team with the credentials to match.

Look, I think until all investigations are complete its premature to start assessing any blame for what happened in Benghazi. Who is to blame for what occurred?

1. The terrorists and cowards that murdered Ambassador Stevens.

What is known that there was little security in the consulate that existed in Benghazi. Ambassador Stevens knew that and nevertheless elected to visit the consulate. He took other risks as well. He wanted to show the Libyan people, that as America's representative to that country, he wasn't afraid to get out and meet with political leaders. He accepted the idea that being a diplomat to some countries entails certain inherent risks. What happened to him is a tragedy, but its not unlike a soldier in Afghanistan being killed in the line of duty.

The only issue here is whether the State Department could have been more forthcoming about what happened. Based on Rice's statements it appears that she was either given bad information or directed to embellish what happened. I would like to know which is the case. This is not to be confused with the idea though that we could have prevented Steven's death. We had no military forces in the area that apparently were capable of responding to the situation in Benghazi quickly enough to have made a difference. No one who gave any statements to the media was under oath or participating in a legal proceeding. There is no question of criminality being involved. If there was dishonesty here, its not the kind that anyone can go to jail for.

Finally, its difficult to not view this in political terms when one realizes that:

1. The House of Representatives is controlled by the GOP;
2. Hillary Clinton is a top contender for the democratic presidential nomination in 2016;
3. Many people inside the GOP would love to tarnish Hillary's image for fair reasons or foul;

Who wants to bet that this "investigation" won't be completed until after November 2016?

86,052 posts, read 84,125,061 times
I do think some bad decisions were made. Trying to "normalize" Libya too early was one.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:58 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,353,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Wow... you appear to know even less about special ops than you do the military in general.
Hmm. Now I am curious. Are you professing some sort general military or special operations expertise?

Old 05-09-2013, 09:59 AM

7,429 posts, read 5,683,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Is this the supposed video that the administration says is the cause of this:
Video maker blamed for Benghazi remains jailed

Looking at youtube, there are many more anti muslim or muslim parodies with far better acting for a muslim to get upset about.

I sat and watched C-Span all day yesterday and was very enlightened by what unfolded. I look forward to the further hearings to hear what Dan Benjamin and Rice have to say as they contradict all that was mentioned yesterday. Were the Dems trying to shift blame away from Obama/Clinton - definitely and it was as blatant as the Reps trying to place the blame there. But the American people need to trust in their leaders whether they be Rep and Dem - and they don't and that's why we need answers as to why this happened.

No man is infallible - whether they be Rep, Dem or Jesus himself - but that man should have the morals and ethics to accept responsibility for his choices - especially if he is the leader of our country.

I too question where Obama was during this entire episode. Now before I start getting labeled as right winger, Rep ect -( which most do on these forums as they want to sterotype people) I've been a registered democray for 37 yrs - but that doesn't mean that I can't have my own thoughts, ideas and concerns that don't follow the party lines.
You are a glimmer of light in an otherwise black hole of the liberal mind.

29,409 posts, read 21,912,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yeah, so funny how the Fox news nuts keep saying, "This is worse than Watergate"

I think they're also trying to turn nothing into something to create a preemtive strike on Hillary in case she runs in 2016. But really, does Fox "News" change anyone's opinion at this point? Other than the angry old white men who already watch?
Were four people killed in Watergate?

22,230 posts, read 17,779,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
So, in your mind, Bob, Benghazi is just a "witch hunt"?

Do you think, in your mind, that everything was handled just fine, there was no cover up, and the hearings should be shut down?
No, I think Issa is just having another Witch hunt party that should be given the recognition it deserves. The ARB did a good job in an actual investigation of the event.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:00 AM

40,919 posts, read 48,840,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
This deserves a bump.
Old Gringo, it still goes back to when did the Obama clan decide to hide the truth. No fool thought it was a video and they tried to sell that story for several weeks.

The parents of the dead men deserve the answers whatever they are.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:00 AM
NCN

21,661 posts, read 25,497,207 times
Don't confuse the American people with the facts when it does not go with your Democratic opinion.

Is anybody else on here old enough to remember "Radio Free Europe." This was a news agency broadcasting in communist countries because the media there were not allowed to tell the truth.

Fox news is like "Radio Free America." But in what is supposed to be a free country, why do these stations mentioned in the thread title not report the truth. I don't turn on the news to hear propaganda; but that is what I heard when I turned on one of those news stations yesterday. Pure lies is a better way to describe it. Luckily I had listened to the congressional hearings and knew better. I find that sad.

So when one station is telling the truth and the others are feeding propaganda, guess where I will turn for the truth the next time I want to know what is going on?

The first step toward communism is for the government to be in control of one major news station. How many stations do you have listed in the thread title? Scary!

Guess we are lucky we can still pass news on to our friends by e-mail but I recently heard that the FBI can monitor that now. People you better wake up.

Last edited by NCN; 05-09-2013 at 10:09 AM..

Old 05-09-2013, 10:02 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,753,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Disgruntled axe-grinders often do.
Whistleblowers are disgruntled axe-grinders?? I guess you see them the way the government does. That people who know there is something wrong or something went wrong need to shut their mouth or suffer the consequences.

Cummings praising whistleblowers?? He just wants people who know where the bodies are buried to speak out so that he and government can bury them. We've seen over time how whistleblowers are treated. Ask Tom Drake and John Kiriakou how things turn out when you blow the whistle on the CIA. You end up with trumped up charges and the possibility of facing jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies