Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2013, 10:04 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finley01 View Post
The point has nothing to do with that....it's that they couldn't even reach an authority figure to get authorization. Bush completrely disappeared for at least eight hours. 'Course he managed to dodge the draft in the early 70's so what else is new.
LOL. I'm sure he was taken to the situation room. Highly unlikely he went home, went to bed, and then got up and headed off to Vegas to campaign. When Benghazi happened Obama was missing for much longer than 8 hours, or didn't you know that???

Old 05-10-2013, 10:05 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I would have found it extremely strange for the U.N, Ambassador to have contacted Hicks directly to determine what occurred in Benghazi. For better or worse we are dependent on our intelligence agencies to do their jobs. If the can't, won't or were prevented from doing their jobs then that is what we should be focusing on.

The fact that Hicks was asked and a big deal was made over whether or not Susan Rice contacted him prior to the Sunday shows just shows the partisan nature of the hearings.
Being he was the ranking diplomat at the time I don't think it's ridiculous at all. Why bother talking to the head person who's in country? Phone calls are soooo expensive right?

What's really kind of funny/sad is that it was just announced there's problems in Libya so the U.S. said it's ready to send in help if they need it. They've alerted a couple of bases to respond as soon as they're requested. I hope they understand it could be 24 hours or more before anyone gets there (if at all).

Old 05-10-2013, 10:08 AM

196 posts, read 115,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Bush did not get a pass .The 911 commission looked into every aspect. Why not a commision here if that would make you feel better
Bull****! The Republican party bragged on him like a king for five years following that. They even overlooked his gross mishandling of the coast after Katrina. 1500 people died in New Orleans and absolutely not one word about them is mentioned in the new Bush Library. I loved it when Barbara Bush after being asked about Jeb running for president next time she said, "We've Had Enough Bushes"

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Though the NYT article, ”U.S. Approved Weapons for Libya Rebels Fell into Jihadis’ Hands.

While officially, the US government claims it is not providing weapons, the Times of London article about the shipment of weapons from Benghazi to Turkey, provides a striking example of how the US and Turkish governments, both overtly, and covertly, appear to be involved in collecting weapons in Libya and helping to ship them to be used against the Syrian government and people. http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-ben...-annex/5320872

Mentioned in the previous article and reported by NYT.

The Obama administration secretly gave its blessing to arms shipments to Libyan rebels from Qatar last year, but American officials later grew alarmed as evidence grew that Qatar was turning some of the weapons over to Islamic militants. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/06/wo...anted=all&_r=0

I do remember Fox reporting something about governments having concerns about shipping guns but do not recall exactly.

Isn't that why the Navy Seals Doherty and Woods were in Benghazi, they were collecting guns?

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
How many other consulates did we have where no government existed and need to rely on local militia for protection. Host country?? No country.
When we have a war-torn country like Libya, where a new government is trying to establish itself, then it's not a safe place. We would need to install our own security forces if the host country is not up to the task, and clearly Libya falls under this.

Libya is not France, or Saudi Arabia, or even the Philippines. Libya is one of the most unstable countries we have diplomats stationed at, it deserves special treatment.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:12 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,521 times
One can only hope. But there again, he's too arrogant to resign.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:13 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Here is a link to the current excuses and cover the left is heaping on 0bama, to play down the Benghazi attacks, and I'm going to vet them out ahead of the liberal excuse makers here.

13 Benghazis That Occurred on Bush’s Watch Without a Peep from Fox News | The Daily Banter

January 22, 2002. Calcutta, India. Gunmen associated with Harkat-ul-Jihad al-Islami attack the U.S. Consulate. Five people are killed.

This was not made against the consulate, the attack occurred in front of the American Center on the Jawaharlal Nehru Road here.

The "ride-by'' shooting occurred at 6.35 a.m. when the area was enveloped in fog.

Eyewitnesses said four gunmen on two motorcycles came and sprayed bullets on the security personnel who were handing over charge to the morning shift personnel.

`We were so surprised that we could not react,'' said an injured policeman, Roshan Chhetri. The killers were clad in Army fatigue and had their AK-47 and AK-56 rifles hidden behind black shawls Link

June 14, 2002. Karachi, Pakistan. Suicide bomber connected with al-Qaida attacks the U.S. Consulate, killing 12 and injuring 51.

With a truck bomb.

October 12, 2002. Denpasar, Indonesia. U.S. diplomatic offices bombed as part of a string of “Bali Bombings.” No fatalities.

I can’t even find an attack on US diplomatic offices. But there was an attack outside the Sari Club Discotheque in Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia, killing 202 persons and wounding 300 more.

February 28, 2003. Islamabad, Pakistan. Several gunmen fire upon the U.S. Embassy. Two people are killed.

An Afghan gunman killed two policemen and wounded five other people outside the U.S. Consulate in Karachi. He was arrested afterwards. Office of the Historian

May 12, 2003. Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Armed al-Qaida terrorists storm the diplomatic compound killing 36 people including nine Americans. The assailants committed suicide by detonating a truck bomb.

Suicide bombers attacked three residential compounds for foreign workers in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. The 34 dead included 9 attackers, 7 other Saudis, 9 U.S. citizens, and one citizen each from the United Kingdom, Ireland, and the Philippines. Office of the Historian

July 30, 2004. Tashkent, Uzbekistan. A suicide bomber from the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan attacks the U.S. Embassy, killing two people.

Suicide bombers struck the entrances of the US and Israeli embassies in Tashkent.

December 6, 2004. Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. Al-Qaida terrorists storm the U.S. Consulate and occupy the perimeter wall. Nine people are killed.

A Saudi security source told Reuters news agency that heavy security had prevented the attackers from getting into the Jeddah consulate by car.

They then fought their way in using grenades and automatic weapons. The compound was then stormed by the security forces. Link

March 2, 2006. Karachi, Pakistan again. Suicide bomber attacks the U.S. Consulate killing four people, including U.S. diplomat David Foy who was directly targeted by the attackers. (I wonder if Lindsey Graham or Fox News would even recognize the name “David Foy.” This is the third Karachi terrorist attack in four years on what’s considered American soil.)

September 12, 2006. Damascus, Syria. Four armed gunmen shouting “Allahu akbar” storm the U.S. Embassy using grenades, automatic weapons, a car bomb and a truck bomb. Four people are killed, 13 are wounded.

U.S. officials praised Syrian security forces for thwarting Tuesday's attack on the U.S. Embassy in Damascus despite the usually tense relationship with the Middle Eastern country.

The Syrians killed three attackers and apprehended a suspect outside the embassy after a car exploded near the walls of the American compound, the Syrian Information Ministry said. Link

January 12, 2007. Athens, Greece. Members of a Greek terrorist group called the Revolutionary Struggle fire a rocket-propelled grenade at the U.S. Embassy. No fatalities.

March 18, 2008. Sana’a, Yemen. Members of the al-Qaida-linked Islamic Jihad of Yemen fire a mortar at the U.S. Embassy. The shot misses the embassy, but hits nearby school killing two.

July 9, 2008. Istanbul, Turkey. Four armed terrorists attack the U.S. Consulate. Six people are killed.

All three gunmen were killed, the attack lasted three minutes.

September 17, 2008. Sana’a, Yemen. Terrorists dressed as military officials attack the U.S. Embassy with an arsenal of weapons including RPGs and detonate two car bombs. Sixteen people are killed, including an American student and her husband (they had been married for three weeks when the attack occurred). This is the second attack on this embassy in seven months.

All of these attacks were either suicide bombs, which you cannot defend against unless you close off all the streets leading up to the US missions. Or these attacks were thwarted by security forces already in place, and the attackers were killed. Or they were drive-by shootings, again, something no one can completely defend against.

All the security in the world will not stop these terrorist, unless you operate in a complete police state, and the US mission facilities are protected by limited access and defended like a fortress. Even the attack on our Benghazi consulate could not have been prevented, but it was not responded to, was not sufficiently anticipated and defended against.

Liberal 0bama defenders can keep barking up this empty Boooosh tree, but no matter how loudly you bark, there is nothing in any of these attacks that compares to the fiasco, that was the terrorist attack on the Consulate in Benghazi.

Really? No comparison? None at all?

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Why didn't anyone in the latest hearings ask about the origin of the CIA talking points? Why didn't they ask Hicks if he had any input on the CIA talking points or if the CIA had questioned him about the situation in Benghazi? Instead they asked him if Susan Rice herself had talked to him. Susan Rice's comments on 9/16 reflected the original unedited CIA talking points, which were available to the committee prior to the hearings.
Hicks stated that he had a telephone conversation with, I forget her name, a very high ranking official at the State dept. and TOLD her it was a terrorist attack.

Another high ranking State Dept official, it may have been the same person CALLED the President or Prime Minister on Lybia and told him it was a terrorist attack.

He stated that he DID NOT have any input on the talking points. He wasn't asked.

He was NEVER given an opportunity to read the final version of the ARB report to see if his statement were included or altered.

NOBODY from the CIA was interviewed at these hearings, so there was NO ONE to ask about the talking points.

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
The Lefties don't care when people are sacrificed for their religion, which is government.

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The Committee was briefed by the CIA and there are areas the Committee cannot talk about.
Remember this is CIA. Covert operations are just that..covert.

Out of all the employees at that CIA base, only 7 were State Dept and the rest were CIA.
I think there was a covert operation going on to run arms to Syria that went bad.
Obviously you didn't read my post from beginning to end. Did you miss the part where I said the there should be closed hearings?? Why don't you go back and read my post word-for-word in it's entirety? Reading an entire post generally helps when one responds. If you had, (1) you wouldn't be insulting me with your post "reminding" me that it has to do with the CIA and informing me what a covert operation is, or (2) you didnt read the entire post or there is a lack of comprehension on your part.

AGAIN, read the link I provided in a response to YOU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies