Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2013, 02:25 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times

Advertisements

Folks can post a gadzillion pictures of their dogs with rainbows, lollipops, and unicorns in an attempt to distract. I'm disgusted they'd do so. None of them have anything to with the cold, hard, fact that a pit bull in Georgia killed a two-year-old boy.

I'm a dog-lover and a cat-lover but I'd never dream of trying to hijack this thread by posting pictures of my pets. It's an insult to the parents and family of the toddler who suffered and died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 06:13 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Animal control is calling this a pit bull, so I'm not sure exactly why people are questioning it.

Toddler killed by dog in south Fulton County | www.ajc.com

Police: Toddler killed by dog in Fulton Co. | www.wsbtv.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am not defending the guy or even saying I agree with the premise, but if you google L-tyrosine and pitbulls, there seems to be a lot of info on it...whether or not it's true is another thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I don't think L-tyrosine has anything to do with this thread topic. I don't know but am pretty sure the two-year-old's parent's don't give a hang.
L-tyrosine and the theories surrounding it are important as there is a push to impose breeding regulation to include genetic traits (including L-tyrosine), and most importantly temperament. This is a controversial topic, but one that is supported by most legitimate Pit Bull organizations.

Pit Bull Rescue Central

Quote:
I'm a dog-lover and a cat-lover but I'd never dream of trying to hijack this thread by posting pictures of my pets. It's an insult to the parents and family of the toddler who suffered and died.
Yeah, I really don't think it's appropriate either. The poster loves posting personal pictures though, so I'm not surprised.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:39 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,210,341 times
It is irresponsible of any dog owner to leave a two year old alone with a dog. Sorry. Not the dog's fault, bad owner.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:55 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
A 2 year-old was killed by the family pet today, a pit bull who had lived with the family for 8 years.

Child killed by pit bull in south Fulton County | 11alive.com

Honestly I have nothing against pit bulls, but I would never have one around my small children. When will people wise up?
HO HUM, another human gets killed or mangled by a dog.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:17 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Folks can post a gadzillion pictures of their dogs with rainbows, lollipops, and unicorns in an attempt to distract. I'm disgusted they'd do so. None of them have anything to with the cold, hard, fact that a pit bull in Georgia killed a two-year-old boy.

I bet this is how conversations go around your house:

You: "How many biscuits do you want for breakfast?"
Other: "Well, actually, I was really more in the mood for a poached egg and some fruit."
You: "Are you saying you don't like my biscuits???"
Other: "No - I just thought an egg would be good today."
You: "WHY ARE YOU SAYING THAT EGGS ARE BETTER THAN BISCUITS??? WHY DON'T YOU LIKE MY BISCUITS?"
Other: "I like your biscuits - really! Let's have some tomorrow. Hey, do we have any bananas?"
You: "Do you mean to imply that my nose looks like a banana??? Now I'm REALLY insulted!"

I honestly can't understand why YOU can't seem to follow a simple line of reasoning. The OP didn't create this thread to give people an outlet to express their grief about a child who was killed when she was left alone with a dog. The OP created the thread with the intention of debating and discussing the topic of pit bulls and whether or not the breed is more dangerous than other breeds. If that's not the case, then the OP should have placed the thread in the Grief and Mourning section.

So - we are discussing whether or not pit bulls ARE actually more dangerous than other breeds. We are discussing the accuracy of reporting when the media claims that a pit bull attacked someone. We are discussing whether pit bulls and pit bull "mixes" have the same traits and tendencies. We are discussing whether or not it's a case of bad dogs or bad owners. We are discussing our personal experiences with pit bulls -and with dogs that people THINK are pit bulls.

I will REPEAT my position to you in the hopes that you have perhaps had some coffee between last night and this morning and your mind is clearer. If you continue to throw inflammatory accusations at me, and distort what I say, I truly will give up any hopes of carrying on a reasonable conversation with you. You may join the very small ranks of people I've finally just put on ignore out of sheer frustration.

1. I am very sorry that a child has been killed.
2. I am skeptical of news reports that claim that a pit bull attacked anyone - not because pit bulls would never attack anyone, but because dogs that have bulldog features are often misidentified by friends, neighbors, the media, and even some law enforcement as pit bulls.
3. One reason I believe that is because my own dogs are OFTEN mislabeled as pit bulls.
4. The term "pit bull" has been used to lump all sorts of dogs and mixed breed dogs into one misidentified lot. Staffordshire Terriers are the breed that is commonly known as "pit bulls" but there actually are not that many pure bread Staffordshire Terriers out there. Most dogs bred and sold as "pit bulls" are mixed breed and often have very little staffordshire terrier - if any - in them at all.
5. The media knows that a "pit bull attack" story has a lot more play than a "dog attack" story. I remember when the "media bad dog" was the German Shepherd, then the Doberman, then the Rottweiler, then the Chow, and now the "pit bull." When I was growing up, we NEVER heard of "pit bull" attacks - it was always one of the breeds listed above making the news. When was the last time you heard of one of the above breeds attacking someone and being reported by the media? Did all those formerly dangerous dogs suddenly quit attacking people?

Here are some good articles or videos that support my concerns about this topic:

http://www.nationalcanineresearchcou...o_download.pdf
Truly an excellent article. If you are actually concerned about dog attacks, you really need to read this.

FOX Files Preview: How Pit Bulls Are Misidentified | FOX2now.com

Only ONE of these dogs is a "pit bull." Can you tell which one it is?
Poll – Can You Spot The Pitbull? | FOX2now.com

Old 04-25-2013, 07:33 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
A 2 year-old was killed by the family pet today, a pit bull who had lived with the family for 8 years.

Child killed by pit bull in south Fulton County | 11alive.com

Honestly I have nothing against pit bulls, but I would never have one around my small children. When will people wise up?
They are violent animals bred to kill. Anyone having them around small children is putting their child's life in jeopardy. A girl was seriously mauled by her family's pits around my way.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:33 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,407,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
It is irresponsible of any dog owner to leave a two year old alone with a dog. Sorry. Not the dog's fault, bad owner.

Wow. It's not the dog's fault? I guess that means that it is the dog's nature to do what it did? If so, then no one has any business keeping one as a pet. You can only blame owners for so long and for so many things. Loving a dog isn't a crime and when it turns on you (if it does) doesn't make it the owners fault. We have lousy owners - but THERE ARE ALSO LOUSY DOGS. Dogs are not an angelic species at one with the universe. You're reasoning would also be true of parents using babysitters or having a lazy cat around.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:36 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
I have a long day tom and don't want to go through looking for things that have to be perfect...its true, anger is addictive to these animals. Its been proven with solid analysis. I'm sure owners may know..Ive seen it myself in two that lived together.
Sorry. You're wrong.

Here's what I think of pitties:

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I guess that would make Michael Vick's pits, very happy dogs.
Actually, those that were rescued and rehomed turned out to be very loving, happy dogs. I tried to get one, but didn't get on the list in time.
http://bestfriends.org/News-And-Feat...FUzhQgodBVkAoQ

Here's one of Vick's dogs. Handsome Dan:

Last edited by Dale Cooper; 04-25-2013 at 07:48 AM..

Old 04-25-2013, 07:44 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
When we moved into our neighborhood with our two spoiled rotten and very docile big dogs, we immediately spent $6000 on a sturdy privacy fence for our large yard. A few weeks later we went to a neighborhood get together and everyone was going around introducing themselves because there were several new families there. When we introduced ourselves and said where we lived, someone immediately popped up and said, "Oh - YOU GUYS have PIT BULLS." You could have heard a pin drop. Everyone looked at us with huge, frightened eyes and mothers held their children close.

Here are our dogs:

Both are mutts. Both are rescued dogs. Both have been spayed/neutered since they were 9 months old. They are both completely worthless as guard dogs because they are so spoiled that they cannot IMAGINE anything bad happening to them (we got them both when they were less than 6 weeks old).

The black dog is, according to our vet, a lab/pit bull mix - not sure of the ratios. She is absolutely wonderful with kids - she has never even growled at man or beast. I am not sure she even knows how to growl! She will, however, lick you to pieces, and she is capable of knocking someone down with her exuberance. She loves nothing better than to have kids roll all over her. She weighs 75 pounds and due to her extremely LOVING nature, I don't ever leave her alone with kids. For that matter, I don't leave any kids alone with either of my dogs, even though the other dog has no features or evidence of pit bull lineage.

But our neighbors still think we have pit bulls. They would tell the media in an instant "They have pit bulls over there" if asked. They have asked us off and on if our fence is secure, and when we assure them that it is, they always say, "Oh good - because we wouldn't want your pit bulls to get out."

Sheeze!

The issue with pit bull and pit bull/mastiff mixed breed dogs is that they are so often sought out by BAD OWNERS - owners who neglect them, leave them chained in a yard, or ignored outside for days at a time. They often don't neuter them either, or allow them to interact with the family much if at all. They encourage "tough behavior" from these dogs.

I used to have a boxer. Not a pit bull - a full bred boxer. We were clearly told by the breeder as well as in books we read, that we should not encourage tugging sorts of games with a boxer, because they can get carried away and clamp down with their jaw - it's instinct.

I know it's an old line, but there are no bad dogs, only bad owners.
IMO, the one on the left is black Lab or mix w/black Lab, the one on the right is a Heinz 57 Variety.

IMO, your neighbors are maroons. They couldn't identify a chihuahua even if one bit their ankles.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:50 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Sorry. You're wrong.

Here's what I think of pitties:

Actually, those that were rescued and rehomed turned out to be very loving, happy dogs. I tried to get one, but didn't get on the list in time.
Don't worry, every shelter in America is chock full of Pit Bulls and Pit Bull mixes abandoned by their Pit Bull loving owners. By far the most represented breed in all shelters. If you really wanted one- you would have one.

Next we'll hear about after gaining possession of one for some strange reason you now can't obtain home owner's insurance or nobody will rent to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies