Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 04:24 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
That father of three won't be risking everything for a gun, he will risk everything for a belief.
And for his children's freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 05:35 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,782,668 times
If enough US citizens support repealing the 2nd amendment, it will happen.

I hate it when a bare majority tries to force their will on basic rights under the US constitution. I am not a gun owner. I am not a gun supporter. But I support our US Constitution. They made it fair. If one wants to change it, it basically forces a "super majority" to try to change the constitution. That's the way it should be.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:01 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
That sound to me like your giving yourself an out. Sounds like you are saying if the constitution is changed not to my liking, then I have the right not to play by those rules.

I got you. You dont like the changes to constitution, you dont have to follow it.
The entire point of the Constitution was to protect individual liberties, to get away from the aspect of ruling powers dictating to the individual for whatever reason they justified. Changing in defiance of that intent makes the entire thing pointless as you end up going back to the idea that others can dictate to the individual as they see fit.

If you change the Constitution to ignore this most important and simple purpose, then the Constitution isn't worth the paper it is written on. The Constitution does not dictate to us, it does not "provide" us our liberties, it affirms them and greatly limits the powers of government to keep it from infringing on those liberties.

It isn't perfect, and the founders were clear that without a moral and virtuous people who were diligent in insuring that those powers stay limited, then the result would be a government that gains too much power and usurps the liberty from the people through political enticements sold to the self interested mob of the majority.

If you think because the mob decides it is going to disregard those liberties and believes it is justified in doing so by waving their changes with the Constitution, then you are mistaken and you miss the entire point of the Constitution in the first place to which you better pick up your gun and be willing to kill those who do not comply, for those who resist will most certainly not give up their liberties peacefully.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I agree that most would comply but there will be a small "army" of guerrilla fighters resisting.

That father of three won't be risking everything for a gun, he will risk everything for a belief.

Yep and one that I can promise you is far stronger than those who believe in removing such liberties. They are all for it when they think they can sit in their homes cheer leading on the powers that be who act as surrogates to their wishes, but if it ever comes to the point where they have to be involved and they have to put their life on the line for their belief, they shy away. It is so easy to sit back and use government as your own personal thug, not so much when you have to do the work yourself.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post

I hate it when a bare majority tries to force their will on basic rights under the US constitution. I am not a gun owner. I am not a gun supporter. But I support our US Constitution. They made it fair. If one wants to change it, it basically forces a "super majority" to try to change the constitution. That's the way it should be.
There will be a war if they try, and it will be a deserved one.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:19 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
That's correct.

It's also the reason why, in the 200-plus years the 2nd has been on the books, it has never been repealed or altered. Nobody has even tried. Because the U.S. population DOESN'T support such a repeal.

Quote:
But I support our US Constitution. They made it fair. If one wants to change it, it basically forces a "super majority" to try to change the constitution. That's the way it should be.
Very true.

Note that the Federal government CANNOT change the U.S. Consitution. The most they can do, is PROPOSE amendments, by a 2/3 vote in each house of Congress. Or a Constitutional Convention, but only when the states demand such a Convention. And then, anything they pass, is still only a proposal.

Even then, the results of such a proposal (whether by Congress or a ConCon), automatically wind up in the trash can, unless 3/4 of STATE governments ratify it. (Or little ConCons in each state).

Bottom line is, the Constitution can only be changed by the STATES, not by the Federal government or a Constitutional Convention. The Founding Fathers deliberately kept any authority to change it, as far away from the central government as they could.

Also of interest: The President of the U.S. has no say whatsoever in any Constitutional amendment. He cannot propose one, approve one, alter one, veto one, or repeal one.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:23 PM

335 posts, read 517,817 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies