Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 02:31 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times

Advertisements

The average monthly food stamp benefit is $132.96 per person.

76% of SNAP households included a child, an elderly person, or a disabled person. These vulnerable households receive 83% of all SNAP benefits.

The average SNAP household has a gross monthly income of $744.

One in seven American households struggles to put enough food on the table.

Undocumented immigrants are ineligible for SNAP. Additionally, there is already a strict waiting period for documented immigrants. Documented adult immigrants (those with a greencard) are subject to a five-year waiting period before they are eligible for SNAP.

Noncitizens make up a very small portion of SNAP participants – only 4% of participants are noncitizens (documented immigrants or refugees).

SNAP (Food Stamps): Facts, Myths and Realities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 02:33 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,593,674 times
States with highest black %s have highest welfare rates. Surprising.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:34 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The average monthly food stamp benefit is $132.96 per person.

76% of SNAP households included a child, an elderly person, or a disabled person. These vulnerable households receive 83% of all SNAP benefits.

The average SNAP household has a gross monthly income of $744.

SNAP (Food Stamps): Facts, Myths and Realities
hmm, yea sure, so you want more right? You voted for Obama in hopes you will get more. I'm mo have to worry about my mortgage no more, Obama is going to redistribute from them to me.

Stop depending on other people for gods sake.

PS: SNAP IS WELFARE. Living off the labor of other people. I don't care what you want to call it but we all know it is shamefully living off others WELFARE

Old 04-26-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
States with highest black %s have highest welfare rates. Surprising.

Blacks have a higher percentage of poverty in this country.

Many states with high black populations have also been decimated by the recession with massive job loss, and few opportunities for employment.

Black families on average lost a far higher percentage of their net wealth during the recession than the average for white families.

Low-income communities have suffered higher foreclosure rates, and low-income families have experienced unemployment at a far higher rate. Low-income families have also seen their incomes decline as our nation has experienced a growing wealth gap between rich and poor.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
hmm, yea sure, so you want more right? You voted for Obama in hopes you will get more. I'm mo have to worry about my mortgage no more, Obama is going to redistribute from them to me.

Stop depending on other people for gods sake.

PS: SNAP IS WELFARE. Living off the labor of other people. I don't care what you want to call it but we all know it is shamefully living off others WELFARE
So you would rather the children, elderly and disabled who make up 83 % of SNAP participants starve?

Old 04-26-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Blacks have a higher percentage of poverty in this country.

Many states with high black populations have also been decimated by the recession with massive job loss, and few opportunities for employment.
lol, so you vote for a man who has made it worse for you and then turn around and vote for him again. Shows that some people don't use the brains they were born with.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
So you would rather the children, elderly and disabled who make up 83 % of SNAP participants starve?
Are you hiding behind the children, elderly and disabled again. So shameful of you. Maybe you should think before you cast a vote and believe someone just because of his skin color. He didn't do you any favors that is for sure.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Are you hiding behind the children, elderly and disabled again. So shameful of you. Maybe you should think before you cast a vote and believe someone just because of his skin color. He didn't do you any favors that is for sure.
Hiding behind? How so? I'm stating the facts since that is the purpose of this thread.

To me this is a shameful comment: "I don't care what you want to call it but we all know it is shamefully living off others WELFARE."

Old 04-26-2013, 02:48 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'd also like to point out that food stamps does not allow someone to buy luxurious food like filet mignon, salmon, king crab, ribeye, etc. in decent quantities like so many tea partiers have allegedly witnessed on here. $250 a month per person is not a lot of food and usually is enough to buy cheap, unhealthy, per-processed crap and soft drinks. $1.80 for a 2 liter soda or almost $4.50+ for a gallon of milk. Talk about the easy life
Veggies don't cost much. Neither does whole chicken, etc. Why are they drinking soda? I drink water or coffee only.

And it's completely untrue that food stamps does not allow someone to buy luxurious food. Please show me where that food is prohibited.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:49 PM

More facts on welfare:

"Many families still have to make tough choices between a meal and paying for other basic necessities.

In 2010 nearly half of the households seeking food assistance reported having to choose between paying for utilities or heating fuel and food.

Nearly 40 percent said they had to choose between paying for rent or a mortgage and food.

More than a third reported having to choose between their medical bills and food."

http://www.sodexofoundation.org/hung...150-155150.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies