Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2015, 08:08 PM

105 posts, read 169,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Anyone else want to chime in and explain to ErnieG why his assertions are incorrect? And why he doesn't understand that Whites are getting less than their fair share of SNAP and that Blacks are getting nearly twice their fair share of SNAP, population-wise?
Dude it is pointless to explain things to people who don't understand percentages. I understand your frustration with this fool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 09:31 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,901,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
...This has resulted in dead lock, inertia & nearly guarantees there will be another crisis in the future, not if - when. As JPMorgan Chase & Company Chairman and Chief Executive Officer James Dimon quipped:

Quote:
But in a complete 180-degree turn from the seemingly wide-eyed responses he gave during the morning, Dimon later told the panel that the downturn shouldn't be much of a surprise because he expects them to happen on a regular basis.

"Not to be funny about it, but my daughter asked me when she came home from school 'what's the financial crisis,' and I said, 'Well it's something that happens every five to seven years,''' Dimon said. "We shouldn't be surprised, but we need to do a better job."
Bank Execs Offer Head-Scratching Answers - CBS News
Very amusing Mr. Dimon, very bloody hysterical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

That may be sarcasm, but Mr. Dimon is absolutely correct. ...
Every five to seven years? There was a longer span of time between the Great Depression & the Savings & Loan fiasco? & then from the Savings & Loan fiasco to the more recent (& global) financial imbroglio?

If he was absolutely correct ... we should be expecting another crisis of similar magnitude & scope right about ...

... now. Welfare in the US? Maybe we should start preparing for even more folks to be using.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:46 AM

32,008 posts, read 36,668,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
There is a lot of misinformation about welfare so I thought I'd make a thread specifically about the facts so that, in the future, we can have more informed discussions about the topic. First of all how much is spent on welfare, who is on welfare, and in what states is welfare most common?
Good information, thanks for posting.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:41 PM

88,770 posts, read 44,594,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNHot75 View Post
Dude it is pointless to explain things to people who don't understand percentages. I understand your frustration with this fool.
That fool claims to have a graduate degree.

I want to know which college confers graduate degrees upon those who have such an abysmally poor understanding of math and percentages. It should lose its accreditation, PRONTO.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Every five to seven years? There was a longer span of time between the Great Depression & the Savings & Loan fiasco? & then from the Savings & Loan fiasco to the more recent (& global) financial imbroglio?

If he was absolutely correct ... we should be expecting another crisis of similar magnitude & scope right about ...
Fannie, Freddie to Loosen Up on Lending

Rinse, repeat...

Old 03-01-2015, 05:20 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,213,143 times
OK, the source for the above information (FIRST POST) which came from a website on "Statistics." This website's info claims to have gathered its sources from the Federal Government:

Food Stamp Statistics
Food Stamp Statistics
Statistic Verification
Source: Department of Agriculture - Food and Nutrition Service
Research Date: January 13th, 2015
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as the Food Stamp program, provides food-purchasing assistance for low- and no-income people living in the U.S. It is a federal aid program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, under the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS), though benefits are distributed by each U.S. state's Division of Social Services or Children and Family Services.

Meanwhile when one goes DIRECTLY to the Department of Agriculture's website, the latest data to be reviewed and available is from 2013. HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET DATA no one else can?

FINALLY, from the "US Department of Agriculture's website "itself" (the same source the statistics website used) claims it got its data but it is not the same, and somehow the "government" and other intelligent people got it wrong? Well yeah if you want to change the narrative in this country to suit a LIE.

Anyone who would fall for this is utterly ridiculous. And I do, hold a Graduate Degree in Public Policy, but that's neither here nor there.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:42 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,213,143 times
For the heck of the stats (provided that anyone should question and do a qualitative and quantitative analysis of their own (if they have time):

SNAP:

US Population estimate (2014) 340,000,000. Three hundred forty million people.

Of this population count: Whites comprise 70 percent; 70% of the US population! Now, I do know enough to understand that 70% of 340,000,000 = 23,800,000. Now, for Blacks who comprise roughly 14% fourteen percent of the United States Population = let's say this is 30,000,000. See below for actual stats (I'm rounding up).

USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Where I come from 70% of something is always more than 10% of something. While, Blacks and other minorities are disproportionately reflected here (there numbers are high for group with such a small representation) DOES NOT CHANGE THE OUTCOME. The numbers are too wide to "play catch up."

Old 03-01-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
And I do, hold a Graduate Degree in Public Policy, but that's neither here nor there.
How, then, do you not understand basic math and population percentages?

Which institution granted your graduate degree? It should lose its accreditation, PRONTO! We cannot afford to have people with supposed graduate degrees in Public Policy that are totally devoid of the understanding of basic math and percentages and how the percentages relate to the population and population subgroups.

Good grief! No wonder government is so vapidly incompetent.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
For the heck of the stats (provided that anyone should question and do a qualitative and quantitative analysis of their own (if they have time):

SNAP:

Of this population count: Whites comprise 70 percent; 70% of the US population! Now, I do know enough to understand that 70% of 340,000,000 = 23,800,000. Now, for Blacks who comprise roughly 14% fourteen percent of the United States Population = let's say this is 30,000,000. See below for actual stats (I'm rounding up).

Where I come from 70% of something is always more than 10% of something. While, Blacks and other minorities are disproportionately reflected here (there numbers are high for group with such a small representation) DOES NOT CHANGE THE OUTCOME. The numbers are too wide to "play catch up."
Catch up with what? Blacks are disproportionately OVER-represented on the SNAP rolls compared to their percentage of the population. How do you NOT understand that?

And your grad degree is in Public Policy? Good Grief! No wonder government is so grotesquely incompetent.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:12 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,529,551 times
Quote:

SNAP:

I believe you meant to say 238,000,000, and not 23,800,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies