Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 07:09 AM

124 posts, read 144,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
If that is slavery, what would you call the lot of Africans and their descendants on plantations in antebellum America?
Slavery.

It seems to me that the basis of it hasn't changed over the years, which is that the slave is the subject of the owner, and has to work for no pay, often in sub-human conditions, and without adequate food and accommodation. In the 18th century I think it was more of a status thing, a proof of wealth, although of course the slave had to more than earn their keep, usually with domestic chores in this country, but providing cheap enforced manual labour, especially in the colonies. Sometimes the slave was also the owner's sexual plaything. These days, although you hear of domestic slavery, I think it is more widespread in third world factories, and world-wide in the sex industry. All slavery seems to exist to make money for the owner, at the expense both financially and health-wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 07:15 AM

6,392 posts, read 5,158,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECLand View Post
Get a clue people.
I am not shackled by credit cards. I have 3. A best buy card, zero balance. An Amazon card, Balance $0, and a platinum visa card from my financial institution, balance, $0.

I buy my gas and such during the month while my money earns interest, and at the end of he month, pay the amount charged in full. That way I use someone else's money during the month, pay the entire balance before I PAY interest charges, and earn money on MY money.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:18 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,992,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
If that is slavery, what would you call the lot of Africans and their descendants on plantations in antebellum America?
That also makes them slave..

Slavery:
3. The condition of being subject or addicted to a specified influence.
4. A condition of hard work and subjection: wage slavery.

You dont need to be bound in chains to be a slave

Old 04-27-2013, 03:56 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,253,323 times
i love the responses, these arent chains these are tools.
LOL. u say this bek u see so many walking dischargable debt but this too will change.
the first signs are that people are becoming renters instead of owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies