Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 09:27 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,042 times

Advertisements

Let say that 50% of the claims made are true. That the Federal government is out to make things much more difficult for the American people; that infact the federal government is working to remove the people's rights. That infact the Federal government is killing the American people...

What is the game plan? How can an average Amercan effect meaningful change to reverse this process?

Who is laying out this plan, and where can I see the plan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 09:29 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,200,864 times
Campaign finance reform, restrictions on lobbying expenditures and blocking elected officials from taking corporate board seats etc. for a period of time after they leave office. If the big players can't influence politicians by throwing cash at them, then things get a whole lot more democratic pretty fast.

I don't think there are nefarious purposes at play--I just think big business has too much power, and they buy votes. If you're a conspiracy theorist who believes in the one world order or illuminati thing--that powerful people are controlling the world or whatever it is that they're babbling on about--this would fix that problem as well.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:36 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,765,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Campaign finance reform, restrictions on lobbying expenditures and blocking elected officials from taking corporate board seats etc. for a period of time after they leave office. If the big players can't influence politicians by throwing cash at them, then things get a whole lot more democratic pretty fast.

I don't think there are nefarious purposes at play--I just think big business has too much power, and they buy votes. If you're a conspiracy theorist who believes in the one world order or illuminati thing--that powerful people are controlling the world or whatever it is that they're babbling on about--this would fix that problem as well.
I agree. We need to get as much cash out of politics as possible. Districts need to be redistricted to make them all competitive. We need to end political primaries and have one open primary where if one person gets above 50% of the vote they win and if no one gets above 50% the top two candidates face off in a run off election.

We need cash out of politics to avoid corruption and special interests running the agenda. We need political parties to lose control of the gate keeping of elections.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:38 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Can you imagine both chambers mulling over a bill like this?

A politician's #1 job is fundraising for himself and the party. If one cannot do this, one will not likely have a future in politics.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:40 AM

20,454 posts, read 12,372,428 times
serously the only thing to say to these folks is to TAKE YOUR MEDS!

Old 04-26-2013, 09:43 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,042 times
But if the government is taking in money to be elected...what is the problem? is big business the problem? are they directing politicians to kill americans? for what end?

Old 04-26-2013, 10:41 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,200,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Can you imagine both chambers mulling over a bill like this?

A politician's #1 job is fundraising for himself and the party. If one cannot do this, one will not likely have a future in politics.
Publicly financed campaigns, OR limiting the amount that you can spend on any campaign so it doesn't become a cash war, would fix that problem.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:59 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,113,472 times
Quote:

And here's the really insane part...these conspiracy nuts are the first to oppose regulations, which they perceive as control by government. Are they too dense to realize that without regulations and certain restrictions, the very people that could take over the world are fully equipped to do so. Wall Street, Big Pharma, Big Oil, the chemical industry, Food Inc. Monsanto, The Military Industrial Complex, etc. The greed, lust for power and corruption are infinite and yet these individuals argue to feed the very beast they are afraid of by giving them more free reign. It's nuts...and pretty damn stupid. Also, these same industries ar ****ing with the environment and poisoning us, but heaven forbid they are regulated.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:07 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,383,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
But if the government is taking in money to be elected...what is the problem? is big business the problem? are they directing politicians to kill americans? for what end?

"It's the agenda, stupid!"

Old 04-26-2013, 12:38 PM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:

I would add ALL contributions should be posted on the Internet within x days. I am against liliting what any individual can give as long as it is made public which includes ALL donations to PACs.

The restrictions on elected officials should also include high ranking retired military going to "work" for defense contractor companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies