Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 12:23 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,068,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutnfancy View Post
Its one thing to say you can not smoke in a place where others are forced to breath it. But to say you don't want to smell it on them is stupid Liberal crap. I don't want to smell the onion you just ate or garlic or perfume you choose. But at what point does it become infringement the other way? Smell on someone is not your business. Unless its unreasonable. If someone does not keep them-self clean its one thing if it stops people from being able to function. But just because some after scent is not to your liking, is not a reason to tell others how to live. What if Blue makes me upset, Do I have the right to tell you not to wear it? You do not have a right to tell some smoker that you can detect that they have smoked a cigarette so they have to stop.

I don't smoke and will not start, its a horrible danger to my health. But I will not tell someone how to live either.
they don't have to stop, they just have to keep their filthy stench, to their filthy stinking selves. It's as simple as that, really.

Smokers engage in a highly objectionable and anti-social behavious that spews filth intothe air others are breathing that is toxic, causes olfactory, respiratory and ocular distress. Their right to be an addict, ends at other people. It is up to theim to keep their filth to themselves.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:34 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,343,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You still haven't justified your view. Why shouldn't a smoker be allowed to smoke outside their home if they don't harm anyone? How about in a private club or restaurant that wants to make its business a place for smokers to enjoy?

Or in an outdoor place, far from other people?

BTW - I am not a smoker. Never have been. Don't like smoke much. But a whiff of tobacco here and there doesn't cause me any harm. Certainly not enough for the government to act and pass laws. I also believe smokers need to clean up their act - especially with litter. I wish we could solve that problem.
You really need controlled tests to see what would be fine. So I would be willing to accept testing to set standards. If someone could figure out a way to smoke standing next to me without any of the 4,000 chemicals released during smoking interacting with my health , I'd be cool.

So I guess if we could come up with an acceptable percentage of poision sucked down by non-smokers we could set boundaries. Problem is, unlike food or car exhaust the activity of smoking serves only one purpose (to smoke) whereas food is to live and car exhaust is a byproduct of driving a car.

It would be like going around and releasing cyanide (which is in cigs) for the hell of it.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:40 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,557,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It doesn't apply at my job but I know a few people who are ticked off that smokers get mini-breaks to go outside and smoke. Kind of a reward for smoking.
A short break every 2-3 hours is a good thing for everybody. Studies show that people are more productive. You would think some people would support slave labor, this is America people, and it's just a job, it's not your life, it's not your business. Get over yourselves, everybody can be replaced very easily, so learn to get along with others, rather than picking fights over stupid personal issues.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
So you agree... Because when a tyrant smokes and brings with them the smell they are forcing people who work with them to deal with their odor. People like myself who have very sensitive reactions to smoke are affected not by choice but by force. So you're right we have to control these tyrants from forcing themselves onto other people.
Nobody is forcing you to leave your house. Start your own business that you can control. If you have sensitivity problems, deal with them, but don't blame others for your faulty immune system.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Smokers have never been protected by the federal government. It is perfectly legal to refuse to hire smokers in most states. If the company has a stated policy of only hiring non-smokers, and employee can be fired if they are found to have smoked.

Alcoholics are protected under ADA, but that doesn't mean they get a free pass. Many alcoholics don't drink and they are great employees. An employee can be fired if alcohol impacts their job performance, even if they are an alcoholic.
I have a county employee neighbor, that drinks from sunup to passing out about 8 pm. He makes $26 an hour, because of longevity on the road crews, and frequently stops by his house for a nip at lunch. But, he's a non-smoker. That stinks to me.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:48 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,323,691 times
This has been an interesting thread because I find it funny that so many people who defend the smokers right to stink up an office do so by pointing out that people wearing cologne/perfume, having bad breath or BO should be held accountable to the discomfort they are forcing upon their co-workers.

Of course, they ignore the fact that those people are held accountable and do have to limit the amount of cologne, perfume, sweat drenched clothing, bad breath etc. Seriously, don't believe me, don't shower or change your clothes for a week, see if you can make it to Friday before your boss calls you into their office.

My original post was to inquire as to why smokers are not held accountable? What can be done?

Old 04-26-2013, 12:50 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,170,826 times
Let's just hope not too many militants band to together that are sensitive/allergic to flowers.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:51 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,170,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
This has been an interesting thread because I find it funny that so many people who defend the smokers right to stink up an office do so by pointing out that people wearing cologne/perfume, having bad breath or BO should be held accountable to the discomfort they are forcing upon their co-workers.

Of course, they ignore the fact that those people are held accountable and do have to limit the amount of cologne, perfume, sweat drenched clothing, bad breath etc. Seriously, don't believe me, don't shower or change your clothes for a week, see if you can make it to Friday before your boss calls you into their office.

My original post was to inquire as to why smokers are not held accountable? What can be done?
Everybody doesn't work where you do.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:51 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,930,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Clowns annoy me. They don't kill me.

Carcinogens do.
Are you asserting that the foul stench that lingers on & about smokers is a carcinogen? That would be news to me. Can you point to anything resembling proof of such an assertion?

Old 04-26-2013, 12:52 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,068,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
A short break every 2-3 hours is a good thing for everybody. Studies show that people are more productive. You would think some people would support slave labor, this is America people, and it's just a job, it's not your life, it's not your business. Get over yourselves, everybody can be replaced very easily, so learn to get along with others, rather than picking fights over stupid personal issues.
Spoken like a true addict. My condolences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.