Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 12:42 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
What? No chart?

You just flat don't get it. Never have, never will.

I can promise you one thing, without question: A federal tax on internet sales isn't far behind. Only a complete, utter, total fool wouldn't see it coming.

Oh, and btw: Amazon does NOT collect tax. None.
Wrong (as usual):

Quote:
About Sales Tax on Items Sold by Amazon.com

Items shipped to certain states are subject to tax.

Items sold by Amazon.com LLC, or its subsidiaries, and shipped to destinations in the following states are subject to tax:

Arizona
California
Kansas
Kentucky
New York
North Dakota
Pennsylvania
Texas
Washington
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 12:42 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
So, after all the good information members have given you here, will you be throwing in the towel, or charge 15 cents more per item?
$.15 more? Oh hell, I wish it was only $.15 more, how about the tens of thousands it will cost and how many hours to comply with the ten thousand taxing jurisdiction in the nation?

I know one software package of mine will cost me at least $3K to upgrade, and thats on top of the thousands it will cost to import and manage tax regions.

At first I thought it would be a flat tax rate, i.e. 6% everywhere, but its not even close.. People like me will simply spend the money to modernize while small businesses wont be able to compete.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
$.15 more? Oh hell, I wish it was only $.15 more, how about the tens of thousands it will cost and how many hours to comply with the ten thousand taxing jurisdiction in the nation?

I know one software package of mine will cost me at least $3K to upgrade, and thats on top of the thousands it will cost to import and manage tax regions.

At first I thought it would be a flat tax rate, i.e. 6% everywhere, but its not even close.. People like me will simply spend the money to modernize while small businesses wont be able to compete.
Oh please. There will be a module that connects to your online platform that will have a lookup by zipcode that will automatically the sales tax rate for the locality.

I really am not going to cry for someone who is essentially getting sales by helping consumers evade tax. If you now have to pay $3,000 for complying with the law, that's the cost of doing business.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:51 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I suggest that before you start ranting about Obama this and Obama that, you bone up on the facts about what you are ranting about.

The bill in question is the Marketplace Fairness Act that doesn't add one penny to federal taxes. The bill, introduced by Senators Michael Enzi (R–Wyo.), Dick Durbin (D–Ill.) and Lamar Alexander (R–Tenn.), would force online stores to collect sales taxes on behalf of the states, regardless of the web company’s physical location. The argument is that online stores have an unfair advantage over traditional mom-and-pop businesses and small on-line retailers have an advantage over large online retailers like Amazon, who collects sales tax. The Act levels the playing field by collecting sales tax that consumers rightfully owe the states.

According to NY law (and likely most others,) residents are required to pay NYS sales tax regardless of whether the merchant collected the tax for them. Anyone not paying that tax to the state is guilty of tax evasion. The problem is that states have a hard time enforcing their law. The federal law makes the merchant enforce it.

So the solution is to lock up people who don't jump through hoops to pay a new tax?

Government of the corporations, by the corporations and for the corporations.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So the solution is to lock up people who don't jump through hoops to pay a new tax?

Government of the corporations, by the corporations and for the corporations.
I guess you have reading issues. This is not a NEW TAX. It's a federal law that facilitates states to collect their rightful sales tax that is already on the books.

It's right there in the bible:

In the beginning, there were brick and mortar stores. The state collected sales tax, and it was good.
Then, Al Gore created the internet and begot internet merchants, who did not collect the state tax on out-of-state sales. This was evil in the eye of the state but the state could not smite them.
The pockets of the states became more fallow as sales-tax revenue deminith.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:55 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

After it is calculated then payment has to be made too. It will be a nightmare. Customers will also have to pay more to buy and for some reason people think this is a great idea.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:56 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,979 times
Quote:
It's a federal law that facilitates states to collect their rightful sales tax that is already on the books.

It's not actually a federal law: it's a senate bill which is probably destined to die in the house.

Internet sales tax bill cruising through Senate; will soon hit roadblock in GOP-led House - The Washington Post

Old 04-26-2013, 12:57 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I know people who run brick and mortars and a long time ago they were told that the Internet was an important part of business but they did not want to keep up with the times so they are now feeling the effects of their poor decision and a couple of them are out of business.

When in business keep up with the times or go out of business. It's as simple as that.
And? That doesn't mean they still aren't lobbying hard to get the law changed now. Brick and mortar retailers (or those who have most of their sales on site vs. the internet) think that internet only retailers have an unfair advantage without charging sales tax. Take it up with them.

Last edited by mb1547; 04-26-2013 at 01:08 PM..

Old 04-26-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Oh please. There will be a module that connects to your online platform that will have a lookup by zipcode that will automatically the sales tax rate for the locality.
oh please, this is so ignorant that I dont even know where to begin.. Whats going to happen is sales channels will begin to collect the sales taxes and then increase their fees to online sellers making it more difficult to compete. This will be in addition, to the fees that I'll have to pay..

This online platform you're discussing, utter crazy **** from someone who doesnt have a dam clue. Will there be a platform, yes WE WILL PAY FOR IT, and every single company out there has DIFFERENT PLATFORMS, will all need their own integration programs and yearly cd's that will need renewed just like UCR and ICD9 needs updated yearly. These programs cost thousands..
Quote:
I really am not going to cry for someone who is essentially getting sales by helping consumers evade tax. If you now have to pay $3,000 for complying with the law, that's the cost of doing business.
Well thankfully I didnt take your advice when I started my company while I was broker than dirt. Tell me how poor people are going to start companies and come up with the money?

YOU HATE THE POOR, but you'll be the first one moaning and groaning about how big box corporations have taken over the country and people like you cant compete.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-26-2013 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: language

Old 04-26-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
After it is calculated then payment has to be made too. It will be a nightmare. Customers will also have to pay more to buy and for some reason people think this is a great idea.
Well it wont be a nightmare for those who have the funds to retrofit, but it will be for those starting out.

My inventory control program cost me initially $1500, but I'm now into it for over $25K, and this is in addition the the $250K I have in hardware.. I started out before I had the $1500 by printing out orders and doing everything by hand. A law like this means that I couldnt start out by hand, that I would be required to have thousands of dollars to begin.

And we wonder why the poor stay poor in this country while we have ignorant fks on forums saying its ok, while bemoaning that they cant get ahead.. Its mind boggling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies