Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 01:03 PM

140 posts, read 214,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
It's not actually a federal law: it's a senate bill which is probably destined to die in the house.

Internet sales tax bill cruising through Senate; will soon hit roadblock in GOP-led House - The Washington Post
I will vote GOP for life if they block it and kep the internet free from the fat government claws. Seriously we need to take a stand.td states are out of control with spending. That should not be my problem that whatever state can't control spending......we pay shipping costs already which factors in fuel, tolls,postal service, ups ect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 01:03 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I guess you have reading issues. This is not a NEW TAX. It's a federal law that facilitates states to collect their rightful sales tax that is already on the books.

It's right there in the bible:

In the beginning, there were brick and mortar stores. The state collected sales tax, and it was good.
Then, Al Gore created the internet and begot internet merchants, who did not collect the state tax on out-of-state sales. This was evil in the eye of the state but the state could not smite them.
The pockets of the states became more fallow as sales-tax revenue deminith.
You do know Al Gore didnt invest the internet, right?

Btw, states already require sales taxes to be paid on out of state purchases, its to be paid by the consumer, so rather than crack down on those breaking the law, you want to support even more..

yeah, just like gun legislations, and immigration laws, when the ones you currently have dont work, write more, because thats so effective.

NOT

Old 04-26-2013, 01:05 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,471,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
. Tell me how poor people are going to start companies and come up with the money?
Businesses that do under a million in remote sales are exempt.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:09 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo631 View Post
I will vote GOP for life if they block it and kep the internet free from the fat government claws.
Sure - hip-hip-hurray for gridlock.

Doesn't mean the several states won't continue efforts to collect their taxes, though. You'll be seeing more of this:

Pennsylvania reminds online retailers to collect sales tax | PennLive.com

Old 04-26-2013, 01:10 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I guess you have reading issues. This is not a NEW TAX. It's a federal law that facilitates states to collect their rightful sales tax that is already on the books.

It's right there in the bible:

In the beginning, there were brick and mortar stores. The state collected sales tax, and it was good.
Then, Al Gore created the internet and begot internet merchants, who did not collect the state tax on out-of-state sales. This was evil in the eye of the state but the state could not smite them.
The pockets of the states became more fallow as sales-tax revenue deminith.

So we're not paying it now, but we will in the future, and it's not a new tax. It's always been there, but we just didn't know it.

Winston Smith, is that you?

Old 04-26-2013, 01:10 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
You do know Al Gore didnt invest the internet, right?

NOT
Yes, of course. It was a joke.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:11 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
Businesses that do under a million in remote sales are exempt.
Not really since the laws already mandate that ALL Sales be taxed, even online ones. The difference is who pays them.

Saying now that the business under $1M is exempt is even worse, how is a consumer supposed to know if they have to report their purchase, or your business will?

I would probably support the bill if it was a flat rate percentage and I could just report the total and pay the tax. If you cant see that this is a logistics nightmare then I have to wonder what world you live in.

Oh and to make matters worse, Whats to stop me from moving my company to Canada and then shipping to the USA, thereby avoiding the tax all together? Yes, the offshoring of jobs continue while you guys celebrate.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:11 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So we're not paying it now, but we will in the future, and it's not a new tax. It's always been there, but we just didn't know it.

Winston Smith, is that you?
Ignorance of law is not an excuse.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:13 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
we just didn't know it.
Or rather, you probably did know, but it was easy to evade, so you did.

Kind of like those Greeks we hear so much from the libby-right about.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:15 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,471,273 times
Quote:
Not really since the laws already mandate that ALL Sales be taxed, even online ones. The difference is who pays them.

Saying now that the business under $1M is exempt is even worse, how is a consumer supposed to know if they have to report their purchase, or your business will?

I would probably support the bill if it was a flat rate percentage and I could just report the total and pay the tax. If you cant see that this is a logistics nightmare then I have to wonder what world you live in.

Yawn....I am not going around in circles with you. You have been crying all over this thread that this is an attack on poor entrepreneurs, yet you now complain that exempting small businesses from tax collection is even worse.

You complain about the tax, then complain that having no tax is even worse.

So typical of you. Enjoy chasing your tail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies