Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 01:38 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times

Advertisements

And Obama of course said he would not raise taxes on anyone that makes less than 250 thousand.. another tax hike for everyone. Obama knows how to lie and manipulate. Obama wants more money from us and he will think up ways to get it to pay for his big government hand outs and programs .. too many illegals here now getting free stuff and Obama has to get it from somewhere.. his handouts are BIG MAGNETS for the illegals..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 01:42 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
And Obama of course said he would not raise taxes on anyone that makes less than 250 thousand.. another tax hike for everyone. Obama knows how to lie and manipulate. Obama wants more money from us and he will think up ways to get it to pay for his big government hand outs and programs .. too many illegals here now getting free stuff and Obama has to get it from somewhere.. his handouts are BIG MAGNETS for the illegals..
In case you forgot, the R's have the House and the Senate doesn't have enough democratic votes to beat a R filibuster. Obama doesn't have anything to do with this--if the bill gets through Congress it will be because the Republicans back it. If they do it with a veto proof majority, then the President can't do anything to stop it.

I'm always baffled when some of you start pointing blame without understanding that we have more than the executive branch of government in this country....

Old 04-26-2013, 01:44 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
In case you forgot, the R's have the House and the Senate doesn't have enough democratic votes to beat a R filibuster. Obama doesn't have anything to do with this--if the bill gets through Congress it will be because the Republicans back it. If they do it with a veto proof majority, then the President can't do anything to stop it.

I'm always baffled when some of you start pointing blame without understanding that we have more than the executive branch of government in this country....
Thats not exactly how it works. You filibuster bills you dont want to come to a vote, so not having enough votes to filibuster still wouldnt megate the fact that it takes the Senate to approve, and the President to sign off on it.

If the President signs off on it, its indeed another broken promise, and I'm always baffled by those who refuse to acknowledge things as they are, and feel the need to run around blaming Republicans alone.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:45 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
$.15 more? Oh hell, I wish it was only $.15 more, how about the tens of thousands it will cost and how many hours to comply with the ten thousand taxing jurisdiction in the nation?

I know one software package of mine will cost me at least $3K to upgrade, and thats on top of the thousands it will cost to import and manage tax regions.

At first I thought it would be a flat tax rate, i.e. 6% everywhere, but its not even close.. People like me will simply spend the money to modernize while small businesses wont be able to compete.
Tax deductible business expense.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:27 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Thats not exactly how it works. You filibuster bills you dont want to come to a vote, so not having enough votes to filibuster still wouldnt megate the fact that it takes the Senate to approve, and the President to sign off on it.

If the President signs off on it, its indeed another broken promise, and I'm always baffled by those who refuse to acknowledge things as they are, and feel the need to run around blaming Republicans alone.
Oh really? I take it you flunked Jr. High government class?

Do you mean not enough votes for CLOTURE, which is when you end a filibuster? Cloture takes a super majority (60 votes). The Democrats only have 51 plus 2 independents who vote with them. They just voted for CLOTURE 63 to 30, which means that TEN republicans are voting with the Democrats to allow the bill to come up for a vote, which will happen next week. Even R's are admitting the bill will pass in the Senate.

THEN the bill, or a similar one, will go to the HOUSE. If the House passes the same exact bill that the Senate passes, THEN it goes to the president. If the House passes a different version, then the bill goes to CONFERENCE COMMITTEE where a group of Senators and Reps will hammer out a compromise bill. Then they all vote again, and ONLY then does it go to the president.

All the president does is sign or veto bills--GET IT? He doesn't write them, and he doesn't pass them. That's the job of the Senate and the House

If the president VETOES the bill, it will take 75% of both bodies to override it.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:36 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
uh hum, so lets hit the middle class again. So after Obama promised that taxes would not go up on the middle class, taxes went up for millions of Americans, which Republicans predicted throughout the campaign would happen, it was fun to watch the the left bounce off walls. So lets hit them again.

“Nancy Thongkham” was much more furious. “F***ing Obama! F*** you! This taking out more taxes s*** better f***ing help me out!!”

“_Alex, “Obama I did not vote for you so you can take away alot of money from my checks.”

Christian Dixon seemed crestfallen. “I’m starting to regret voting for Obama.”

Dave, “Obama is the biggest f***ing liar in the world. Why the f*** did I vote for him”?

Yea, different, but a tax is a tax with the same result.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ases/?page=all

Old 04-26-2013, 05:28 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Internet sales should've been taxed a long time ago. It's about time.
Not having that tax has hurt the small town Main Street merchant a lot, when Wal-Mart isn't doing it.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:34 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo631
When is enough going to be enough for the pigs? Thought Obama wasn't going to raise taxes ,
Your finally realising EVERYTHING HE SAYS IS A LIE!!!!!!!

Old 04-26-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Tax deductible business expense.
But then I wouldnt be paying my fair share because I"m using "loopholes".

Old 04-26-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Oh really? I take it you flunked Jr. High government class?

Do you mean not enough votes for CLOTURE, which is when you end a filibuster? Cloture takes a super majority (60 votes). The Democrats only have 51 plus 2 independents who vote with them. They just voted for CLOTURE 63 to 30, which means that TEN republicans are voting with the Democrats to allow the bill to come up for a vote, which will happen next week. Even R's are admitting the bill will pass in the Senate.

THEN the bill, or a similar one, will go to the HOUSE. If the House passes the same exact bill that the Senate passes, THEN it goes to the president. If the House passes a different version, then the bill goes to CONFERENCE COMMITTEE where a group of Senators and Reps will hammer out a compromise bill. Then they all vote again, and ONLY then does it go to the president.

All the president does is sign or veto bills--GET IT? He doesn't write them, and he doesn't pass them. That's the job of the Senate and the House

If the president VETOES the bill, it will take 75% of both bodies to override it.
you mean did I fail government class because I said the President would need to sign teh bill, and you responded with the President would have to sign the bill?

Do you feel as dumb as that just sounded?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies