Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Islamic immigration to the United States be stopped or banned?
Yes, ban all Islamic immigration 172 49.14%
Yeah, but only stop it temporarily 17 4.86%
No 161 46.00%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 07:29 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I have never seen any of these things you mention. All the Jewish people I have met in my life act and dress no differently than myself. Every Muslim I have met dresses according to their religious attire.
For a traveler, you don't get around much, do you?

If you'd met any Jewish people who do act and dress differently than yourself, would you be as prejudiced against them as you are against Muslims. What if you'd met any Christians who dressed differently? And there are millions of Muslims who don't "dress according to their religious attire", whatever that means. If they dress like you, they're okay? It's only people who don't dress like you that you have a problem with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 08:08 AM

1,347 posts, read 954,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post

If you'd met any Jewish people who do act and dress differently than yourself, would you be as prejudiced against them as you are against Muslims. What if you'd met any Christians who dressed differently? And there are millions of Muslims who don't "dress according to their religious attire", whatever that means. If they dress like you, they're okay? It's only people who don't dress like you that you have a problem with?
WTF does dress have to do with it?

There can be no rational argument that there is a fundamental problem in muslim societies where terrorism is concerned. There are no doubt violent slivers of christian believers and jewish ones, hell even buddhist ones - but the proportion of terrorist-driven muslims dwarfs all of them, there is simply no comparison.

Until there is a major cultural reformation of arab and non arab muslims, where groups like hezbollah, hamas, al qaeda, and regimes like iran/syria are destroyed - and there is a major reduction in daily bombings in iraq, pakistan, and so many other places, I cannot see a justification for muslim immigration into the US outside of highly skilled/wealth individuals who would be carefully screened and monitored.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:24 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,362 times
The day we stop allowing legal immigrants to come here on the basis of religion alone, is the day we completely discard everything that made the Colonies, and later, the United States the great country she is.

You can block them for other reasons, such as expected extremists views and leaning towards violence in some manner, but that needs to be separated completely from their religion.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:25 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I guess if you haven't seen what I explained about Orthodox Jews, then it isn't true? The same way you think you know that every Muslim woman wears a head scarf. Got it. You are seriously lacking in facts and knowledge. What you aren't lacking is an unfounded fear of an entire population of people of a certain religion.

Should all little boys fear priests? Does one pedophilia priest represent all priests?

Can only wonder how far your "travel" takes you. Does it go beyond the 10 block radius that you confine yourself to, or do you think crossing the border from one state to another makes you a "traveler"?
In the U.S., I can go on TV and blow my nose with the American flag, and the pages of the Bible...then kiss a man, (I am a man) while shouting, "There is no god but the Flying Spaghetti monster."

Many people view our government as overly oppressive. Tell me, do any largely Islamic nations have governments less oppressive than ours, that we might be interested in mirroring?

Most of them seem to have various looney laws of some sort. By looney laws I mean laws that should not exist under any circumstances (blasphemy laws for simple statements of the nonexistence of god/ blasphemy laws for more complicated blasphemy like burning holy texts that result in longer than 10 year prison sentences/illegal homosexuality).

Many of those governments are severely messed up. America's government is spectacular in comparison...and it has a lot of problems (note that I'm only referring to laws rather than the actions of individual politicians or citizens). We do seem to have a problem with attempting to "assist" nations by liberating them to smithereens.

That said, there has only been two major terrorist attacks by Muslims on the U.S...the trade center bombings and Boston...although there have been a few smaller ones. Muslims make up about a third of the planet.

Let the Muslims in. We'll show them why our government makes more sense than most of their former ones.

Last edited by Clintone; 05-01-2013 at 09:38 AM..

Old 05-01-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonR View Post
WTF does dress have to do with it?

There can be no rational argument that there is a fundamental problem in muslim societies where terrorism is concerned. There are no doubt violent slivers of christian believers and jewish ones, hell even buddhist ones - but the proportion of terrorist-driven muslims dwarfs all of them, there is simply no comparison.

Until there is a major cultural reformation of arab and non arab muslims, where groups like hezbollah, hamas, al qaeda, and regimes like iran/syria are destroyed - and there is a major reduction in daily bombings in iraq, pakistan, and so many other places, I cannot see a justification for muslim immigration into the US outside of highly skilled/wealth individuals who would be carefully screened and monitored.
InsaneTraveler is supporting his argument that Muslims should not be allowed in this country by discussing that they dress differently from average Americans. That's WTF dress has to do with it. If you disagree with InsaneTraveler, I suggest you take it up with him.

As for rational argument, there is a fundamental problem in any society in regards to extremism. If you are willing to label all Muslims as terrorists, then you are part of the problem, because that is an extremist position. There are over a billion Muslims in the world, and they are the fastest-growing religion globally. If you label them as terrorists, you are committing yourself to a war with them. THAT is irrational. It is irrational to label all Muslims as terrorists, since only a very few engage in terrorism. And I would point out that Christians do engage in terrorism. The Irish Republican Army was most certainly heavily Catholic, and engaged in horrible atrocities. And the conflicts in Bosnia and Serbia were dominated by Christian terrorism. These aren't ancient history.

Terrorism is a political action. It is not a religious action. Making that distinction is an important step towards rationality in this discussion.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:54 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
Quote:

Dress has absolutely nothing to do with it. If you remember correctly in this thread it was SoftBlueEyes that brought up the issue of Islamic dress by posting pictures of three Muslim women who were wearing Western clothing. I didn't start this conversation on Islamic dress.

And I travel often actually. I just returned from Philadelphia last weekend in fact. My screen name is more related to that I tend to up and move to places without planning it out fully.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:00 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
Quote:

My opinions of them would not be shaped by their cloths. It would be shaped by how they view the separation of religious organizations and the state. If they support a secular government that does not enforce a religious moral code on its people then I bet we can get along. Most Muslims support the enforcement of Sharia law on the people though, even non-believers. This makes them extremely dangerous.

And yes, I travel often. Never to a Muslim place though.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Dress has absolutely nothing to do with it. If you remember correctly in this thread it was SoftBlueEyes that brought up the issue of Islamic dress by posting pictures of three Muslim women who were wearing Western clothing. I didn't start this conversation on Islamic dress.

And I travel often actually. I just returned from Philadelphia last weekend in fact. My screen name is more related to that I tend to up and move to places without planning it out fully.
If dress has nothing to do with it, then why did you say this?

" All the Jewish people I have met in my life act and dress no differently than myself. Every Muslim I have met dresses according to their religious attire."

The fact is that there are Jewish people, and Christian people, who dress very restrictively. And there are Muslims that dress just like you and I. And yet it is the people you PERCEIVE as different that you want barred from entering the United States. It is the people YOU say dress differently that you want barred.

Dress may not be a key factor, but it does have something to do with it, because I think that the refusal to dress like everyone else can be perceived as a refusal to adapt other American customs. And that refusal to adapt is something that people feel threatened by. Which is why it's important to understand that Muslims aren't the only group that don't outwardly adapt to US Customs. There are many such groups who try to preserve their sense of identity in the United States, not just through dress, but through whatever means they have available. And, ironically, the need to preserve that sense of identity is an act of individualism, the ultimate American tradition.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:41 PM

138 posts, read 154,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
There is an online petition to stop and ban immigration from Islamic nations to the United States after the Boston bombings and other radical Muslim terror against the U.S. and the west.

What do you think?
I thought America was land of the free.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:43 PM

138 posts, read 154,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Did Sirhan tell you that? Sirhan is an ARAB name used by Christians and Muslims.

Sirhan Sirhan was born in Jerusalem to Palestinian Christian parents. As an adult (in the US) he joined the Baptist and Seventh Day Adventist Church. He also dabbled in the occult. Nothing points to him being a Muslim and "pretending" to be a Christian.

There are many Arab names that cross over. Yousef/Yusuf is a name used by Arab Christians, Muslims and Jews.
Yusuf is the Arabic version of Joseph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies