Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 04:31 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times

Advertisements

This thought occurred to me as I was listening to NPR on the way to work. I mean, from workers' rights, women's rights, in the early 20th century, to Social Security, Civil Rights, Voting Rights, Medicare, and now the Affordable Care Act, it seems like they always lose the battles over their implementation. And then they also lose in the court of public opinion. It's an interesting phenomenon.

Any thoughts on why the right never seems to win in the end?

For reference, this is the story I heard on Morning Edition: NPR Media Player

Old 10-07-2013, 04:38 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
This thought occurred to me as I was listening to NPR on the way to work. I mean, from workers' rights, women's rights, in the early 20th century, to Social Security, Civil Rights, Voting Rights, Medicare, and now the Affordable Care Act, it seems like they always lose the battles over their implementation. And then they also lose in the court of public opinion. It's an interesting phenomenon.

Because their narrative is usually just propaganda that serves a priviledged minority. They never seem to stand for the country as a whole. Also, I think a flaw in the conservative mindset is a fixation with tradition and the past. That is fine, even desirable to a degree, but such a view that all the right answers are already known makes them ill suited to leading into the future.

This is not always the case, because the left can certainly overreach. For example, the Reagan revolution had some basis. Taxes were high and government growth needed to be checked. However, he did not cut spending, and trickle down failed. But, conservatives have kept serving that same medicine to every possible problem for 30 years, and now those Reaganesque ideas are absurdly innappropriate.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:43 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times
Quote:

It's not really surprising. By definition, Conservatives resist social progress, which means resisting emerging and evolving knowledge of the world around them. They can't help but side against any new ideas that expands rights and privileges to those that didn't have them yesterday.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:48 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
Because being primarily for the special interests of big business and for the select few ultra-wealthy, is never going to be, and never has been, for the people.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:48 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,995,056 times
That's just the way they roll.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:51 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
Quote:

i was thinking that very thought [again] a few moments ago.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:55 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:

The government teet.....free money....free services....handouts galore. That's what liberals are known for. "If it's free, it's for me!"

The increase in big government over the last 100 years is directly proportional to the dumbing down of our citizenry. You folks are a natural fit for the Big Government Age. Thankfully, we have conservatives to counter those measures....otherwise we would have been the Banana Republic that liberals are hoping to achieve long before now.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:57 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Because their narrative is usually just propaganda that serves a priviledged minority. They never seem to stand for the country as a whole. Also, I think a flaw in the conservative mindset is a fixation with tradition and the past. That is fine, even desirable to a degree, but such a view that all the right answers are already known makes them ill suited to leading into the future.

This is not always the case, because the left can certainly overreach. For example, the Reagan revolution had some basis. Taxes were high and government growth needed to be checked. However, he did not cut spending, and trickle down failed. But, conservatives have kept serving that same medicine to every possible problem for 30 years, and now those Reaganesque ideas are absurdly innappropriate.
One of the issues that I have with conservatism is when they start talking about "tradition" and the way things used to be. The thing is that you can point to any time in the history of this country and it was never all that bad if you were a heterosexual, white, Christian, male. But there have been plenty of times in the past (even now) when it's really sucked if you didn't hit on each of those definitions. Not surprisingly conservatives usually tend to be heterosexual, white males who claim to support Christian values.

And yes, I know that there are PLENTY of conservatives who don't fit that description, but I think you're kidding yourself if you don't picture a white man when you think of a conservative.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:57 PM

82 posts, read 48,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The government teet.....free money....free services....handouts galore. That's what liberals are known for. "If it's free, it's for me!"

The increase in big government over the last 100 years is directly proportional to the dumbing down of our citizenry. You folks are a natural fit for the Big Government Age. Thankfully, we have conservatives to counter those measures....otherwise we would have been the Banana Republic that liberals are hoping to achieve long before now.
Lots of great things have happened in those years. Which parts do you dislike?

Old 10-07-2013, 04:58 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Because being primarily for the special interests of big business and for the select few ultra-wealthy, is never going to be, and never has been, for the people.
Ignorant post. It's all an illusion that you've been goaded into accepting. Those special glasses must have been a handout from Democrats, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies