Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 06:16 AM

1,391 posts, read 1,232,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
You've completely missed what I'm saying and I'm not surprised.

I am a high tax paying citizen and more conservative voter today because I'm forced to pay for blue voters in my red state who take advantage of our social programs. The same groups who typically vote heavily blue also always seem to be the same groups that use a much higher percentage of social program money than their percentage of the population.
I vote blue and I pay taxes. Most of my friends vote blue and also pay taxes. I'm sure some of that money goes to social programs that benefit red voters. But that's ok with us because we are all in this together. Now rip me a new one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 07:28 AM

805 posts, read 1,160,985 times
Ithaca, NY is very liberal (maybe even the most liberal city in the country) and is doing quite well. Tompkins County, where Ithaca is located, has the lowest unemployment rate (5.6%) in NY. Nice community as well with friendly people and overall a beautiful area.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:03 AM

1,391 posts, read 1,232,690 times
Boston-Cambridge. Feb unemployment rate of six percent.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:26 AM

40,949 posts, read 49,143,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
Ithaca, NY is very liberal (maybe even the most liberal city in the country) and is doing quite well. Tompkins County, where Ithaca is located, has the lowest unemployment rate (5.6%) in NY. Nice community as well with friendly people and overall a beautiful area.
Would you mind adopting a brother city... say Detroit, Baltimore, Gary and helping out a fellow Liberal ?

Old 04-28-2013, 08:58 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,026,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
mind posting some proof that you are paying for blue voters and not red voters ?
The highest percentages of people on welfare and the groups with the highest consumption of social services money also just happen to be the same groups that make up Democrat voting blocks.

Blacks and Hispanics increasingly consume money from our welfare programs at higher rates than any other group in this country when you look at what percentage of the population they make up. Those same 2 groups continually vote for Democrat politicians who welcome their votes and promise them more social program money in return.

So lets agree on a few things, Do you agree that Blacks and Hispanics consume more social program money than any other groups based on percentage of population?

Old 04-28-2013, 09:00 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,651,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Reagan's tax cuts kept us afloat while interest rates were raised relative to inflation.

Without that, we're still in an inflation spiral with 10.8% unemployment.

Bush inherited a recession and 9/11 from Clinton.

Those tax cuts kept the economy moving.

That must be why Obama renewed them.

Republican war?

Democrats before Iraq War started.... - YouTube

It wasn't a Republican war until Democrats realized in 2004 that they didn't have any divisive issues to run on, and the failed stimulus cost more than Bush's portion of the Iraq War.

Any reason we're still in Iraq or Afghanistan?

Cost of War to the United States | COSTOFWAR.COM

Ronald Reagan is the father of supply side/trickle down economics, these are tax systems that give tax cuts to rich people and large corporations.

1. Carter had trivial deficits and debt.
2. Reagan did supply side tax cuts (and created huge deficits and debt.)
3. Clinton reversed Reagan's policies and created surpluses (Clinton paid down Americas debt.)
4. GW Bush turned Clintons surpluses into deficits and debt (with supply side tax cuts and a unneeded Iraq war.)

The following US debt history clearly shows the above.
http://www.skymachines.com/US-Nation...ental-Term.htm

Old 04-28-2013, 09:00 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,026,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayid Linus View Post
I vote blue and I pay taxes. Most of my friends vote blue and also pay taxes. I'm sure some of that money goes to social programs that benefit red voters. But that's ok with us because we are all in this together. Now rip me a new one.
The problem is we aren't all in this together. There are a lot of people out there who have no skin in the game whatsoever.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:07 AM

37,955 posts, read 22,128,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I saw a thread asking this of Conservative policies, and I thought I's ask it of Liberal policies. Are there any places worldwide with liberal policies in place that are thriving? It seems most bigger cities are heavily Liberal, and with them come higher crime rates, more pverty, higher unemployment, etc etc.
It's out politicians in Washington DC, they are destroying our country from within, because they live in their own little world of politics, where the welfare of the nation is not a priority with them.

Most Important Problem | Gallup Historical Trends

The most important issue with Americans is improving the economy, creating jobs and controlling the debt and deficit, and then go look at what the priorities for the president and the Congress are.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:17 AM

37,955 posts, read 22,128,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Ronald Reagan is the father of supply side/trickle down economics, these are tax systems that give tax cuts to rich people and large corporations.

1. Carter had trivial deficits and debt.
2. Reagan did supply side tax cuts (and created huge deficits and debt.)
3. Clinton reversed Reagan's policies and created surpluses (Clinton paid down Americas debt.)
4. GW Bush turned Clintons surpluses into deficits and debt (with supply side tax cuts and a unneeded Iraq war.)

The following US debt history clearly shows the above.
http://www.skymachines.com/US-Nation...ental-Term.htm
A little perspective is in order, 0bama has shown us what "huge deficits and debt" look like, Reagan's debt was minor by comparison. Reagan's policies created wealth and prosperity, 0bama's policies are causing debt, despair and poverty.

It's always curious to me that progs and dems always play that "Clinton surpluses" card, as if they think responsible federal spending is vital, while at the same time reelecting 0bama, and doing all they can to ignore his wild and reckless spending. You can't have it both ways, unless you are a politically partisan hack with no principles.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:24 AM

1,347 posts, read 953,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Canada, Germany, Sweden, Finland, Norway right off the top of my head. Strong economies, lower debt, lower homicide rates, lower infant mortality rates than us. Ans more cost-effective healthcare.
The Nordic come to mind first, but there are fundamental differences that make it difficult to truly compare them, they have far smaller, more manageable populations that are more homogenous, and they do not import huge numbers of legal/illegal uneducated, unskilled labor requiring massive outlays of public support. Denmark is also a good example of a thriving, social democratic experiment that while successful, could not be replicated by the US.

Let's also not forget how these EU countries and their taxpayers have basically handed off the responsibility for paying for a military to the US taxpayer, allowing them to provide, nice fat welfare/unemployment benefits for their citizenry. That's one of the reasons I laugh when I read about the far leftists whining about one or two billion in annual aid to Israel, when the US is spending 100 times that on aid to EU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies