Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2013, 08:39 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,554,147 times

Advertisements

I would hope that many people would read this. Left and right should be able to more or less agree with it.

Stay Shocked - Peggy Noonan's Blog - WSJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 09:10 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,425,615 times
It is shocking that the president claimed he read about the targeting of conservatives just last Friday, in the newspapers, and today the New York Times reports the leadership of the Treasury Department was told the charges were being investigated a year ago.

Big Romney donors were also targeted by the IRS. So how about if we submit a list of Obama's top donors. Did the IRS audit and investigate them just like they did Romney donors.

Whoopi Goldberg
Jay-Z and Beyoncé
Carmelo Anthony and Michael Jordan
Sarah Jessica Parker
Willie Mays
George Clooney
Ricky Martin
Robert de Niro and Grace Hightower
Tyler Perry
Spike Lee
Hill Harper and Janelle Monae
Antonio Banderas

Old 05-18-2013, 10:33 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,386,781 times
Whelp, I guess I'm not a conservative.

I wasn't targeted.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:35 AM

59,138 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post

I wasn't targeted.
Maybe you weren't BECAUSE your are NOT important!

Old 05-18-2013, 10:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post

I wasn't targeted.
of course you weren't: Those targeted were the big guys, most of us do not fit the profile..

BTW and I won't go into detail: we were targeted back in 1981. At the time it didn't even dawn on us why we were being audited and yes, we did have to pay. Now, we can slap ourselves for being too dumb to realize what was happening.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:51 AM

20,127 posts, read 16,173,562 times
The mere thought that the IRS would target a group of people, based on ideological beliefs, is chilling. And if you are happy it is happening to conservative groups just remember, after Carter people thought the Democratic party was a dead man walking, so chances are the conservatives will make a come back too. Do you really want a precedent set that a standing administration can be use the IRS to target and repress their opponents? Every citizen in this nation should be up in arms over this one. And, no, "demanding" the resignation of a temporary head, who was leaving in a month anyway, is NOT sufficient.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:05 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,425,615 times
Top government official reveals that members of the Obama administration were aware of targeting of conservative groups right in June 2012 in the heat of the elections.

The U.S. Treasury Department’s inspector-general told senior Treasury officials in June, 2012, that he was investigating allegations that the Internal Revenue Service had targeted conservative groups, disclosing for the first time on Friday that Obama administration officials were aware of the matter during the presidential campaign year.

Obama administration knew IRS was targeting Tea Party groups, official says - The Globe and Mail

Old 05-18-2013, 11:09 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
It is shocking that the president claimed he read about the targeting of conservatives just last Friday, in the newspapers, and today the New York Times reports the leadership of the Treasury Department was told the charges were being investigated a year ago.
With Jack Lew stating how shocked he felt when he heard about it early last year even though he didn't actually ask anyone what happened or what was being done about it.

He was so upset he let them know that he would be one of the first to read the report as soon as it's released to the public.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:11 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
The IRS was not "targeting" anyone. They were, as required by law, looking into the qualifications of groups that had applied for tax exempt status. The crime, and I use the word loosely, was in inferring that right wing groups who opposed taxation and, indeed the government itself, were more likely to be trying to evade lawfully owed taxes and should receive a more detailed review. Yes, they should have followed the liberal ideal that no one should be pre-judged and profiling is inherently discriminatory and wrong. It's just funny hearing that from conservatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies