Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2013, 12:53 AM

29,095 posts, read 25,933,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Wow, my pastor is complete opposite. I always thought that pastors were strict conservatives, and either voted Republican or very conservative on most issues. In fact, at my predominately black attended church, my pastor is a Republican. I am an independent with conservative views.
That is partly why Harrier started this thread - he wanted to dispel the stereotypes that are often held about Christians and their leaders.

We are actually quite a diverse lot.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:06 AM

364 posts, read 557,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Oh yea?

Did he bring up the walking on water thing, turning one fish into millions, surviving in the belly of a whale, finding a male and female ant to take on the Ark before the flood, parting the Red Sea, making a bush burn, bringing pestilence on Egypt, the talking snake, or bringing a dead man back to life?

Or did he only talk about such far-fetched theories as Global Warming?
I lost it!

LOL

Old 07-23-2013, 03:16 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,068,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
I'm not a Christian, I don't offer proof. However, logically speaking the man attends church where a pastor is supposed to not only share the faith, they are supposed to be the most overt and educated on the given theology.

I am simply asking that you pose those or those type of questions to him to highlight the absurdity in democrats version of liberalism and the traditional views of the Christian faith. They do not really mesh, which is why I said it is not really possible to be a true liberal or even a democrat in 2013 and also vote in line with your faith.

A major, heinous act that most people don't call people out for is that they supersede their 'God' in the voting booth (earthly) and fly in the face of their religious teachings and principles they are supposed to unwaveringly follow and then offer no reasonable rationale in why they sold their religion out for earthly perceived benefits.
If you don't even believe in the Christian God, why are you yammering on about nonsense then?

You want people to vote for a politician that believes in things that even YOU don't believe? That doesn't make a like of damn sense.

You've got no skin in the game, so your complaints aren't making any sense.

What does it even matter whether or not someone votes "in line with their faith?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
That is partly why Harrier started this thread - he wanted to dispel the stereotypes that are often held about Christians and their leaders.

We are actually quite a diverse lot.
No...you really aren't. Not at all.

Quote:
Today, Harrier's pastor claimed that the Exodus didn't occur the way it is recorded in the Old Testament.
Sounds like he missed an opportunity to tell you that the Exodus didn't occur anyway (there is no proof of it anywhere), and so the claims of the Old Testament are moot regardless.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:43 PM

9,639 posts, read 5,988,897 times
Quote:
He started to say that humans are responsible for global warming, when this is still a controversial topic.
Last time I looked there were 1400+ scholarly articles regarding humans being responsible for global warming...

None of them offered anything the contrary.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:01 PM

3,496 posts, read 3,114,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I hate churches like that. Why call yourself a "church" or a "christian" if you don't walk the talk?
How is believing in global warming incongruent with being Christian?
Are you saying one can't be a Christian and believe in global warming?
What does one have to do with the other?
Seems to me if you believe in God, you'd want to be a good steward of the world he created for you.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:59 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,462,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I hate churches like that. Why call yourself a "church" or a "christian" if you don't walk the talk?
I didn't realize that Jesus had an opinion on the matter. Care to cite chapter and verse where he said his followers cannot believe in global warming? Please enlighten us.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:18 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,933,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I didn't realize that Jesus had an opinion on the matter. Care to cite chapter and verse where he said his followers cannot believe in global warming? Please enlighten us.
Harrier believes that she is referring to the political nature of the sermon.

Jesus eschewed political action, he made it clear that he wasn't there to tame Rome, but to teach, heal, and save souls.

Quote:
"My kingdom is not of this world".
- John 18:36

Quote:
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.
- Romans 12:2

Old 07-23-2013, 09:27 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,648,968 times
Quote:
He is a loony-tune.

I already said that he is a liberal..

We even have two leaders whom are a gay couple.

I'm only sticking around because I am relatively young, and might be able to change the way the church operates.
Quote:
I have been checking out another church that meets mid-week - and I like what I see.

The problem is that I have been going to this liberal church for nearly 25 years, and close members of my family also attend the church.

The church is in a very urban-centric area and is declining in membership.

I am torn between sticking around and reviving it, or moving to a church that is more in line with my theological viewpoint.

It is a very hard decision.

I have been a leader at this church - yet I feel that it is drifting away from what the Lord wants us to do.
YOU can't revive it. Only God can. Perhaps the Spirit of God has left, as He left the temple in days of old.
There's a reason why membership is declining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
All this crying over a pastor who's liberal. Why does a man's political view points have anything to do with his religious teachings?

They're completely separate.
The can't be separate. One's political views must be based on principle, and principle must be based on Scripture. Anything else changes with the wind.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:20 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,220,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
The can't be separate. One's political views must be based on principle, and principle must be based on Scripture. Anything else changes with the wind.
Not necessarily. Principle comes from the person's morals and values - not Scripture. Now if someone draws inspiration for their morals and values from Scripture, then very well and more power to them; however, to suggest that political views are SOLELY based on principle and that principle is SOLELY based on Scripture is asinine and ignorant of the world around you.

Many agnostics (such as myself) don't require a Scripture or a person preaching at us every Sunday to determine what our principles are.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:23 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,197,051 times
Maybe you should go to a conservative pastor so you can hear about talking snakes, the rapture, and how gays are destroying America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies