Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 10:09 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,069,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The USSR is still alive and well in northeastern US. They do not have to look for Russia in the northeastern States, they ARE Russia, the Russia prior to 1991. Complete with Dictators like Bloomberg.
Besides insanity, what leads you to believe this?

Do you expect to have any credibility when you say things this stupid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 10:14 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,335,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Certain localities have ordinances, but for the most part, if he is not threatening anyone with his rifle or creating a disturbance in a lot of places he is committing no crime. Myself, I would walk up to him and ask him what he was doing in a friendly manner.... Maybe get to know who I am dealing with rather than to jump to conclussions.
We thought of that. In 1994 we amended our State constitution to prohibit any political sub-division of the State (meaning Boroughs, Cities, Towns, and Villages) cannot impose any restrictions on the individual right to bear arms.

Any ordinance anywhere in Alaska that restricts or limits the individual right to own and possess firearms is unconstitutional in Alaska, unless that individual is a convicted felon.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:15 PM

24,334 posts, read 22,881,617 times
Little boy wants people to think he's a man. He's a douche. Now if he was smart, he'd join or organize a neighborhood watch and get a CCP( when he's 21) and do it like an adult. But if theres been little or no crime in his neighborhood then whats the point. Now iF theres been crime I don't have a problem with him "patrolling" but I hope he'd have the sense to have a cell phone and his first move would be to call the police.
And the rifle is perfectly fine in his own house for his own defense. But really the police need to set him down and have a talk with him. Looking for trouble is the easiest way to find it.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Little boy wants people to think he's a man. He's a douche. Now if he was smart, he'd join or organize a neighborhood watch and get a CCP( when he's 21) and do it like an adult. But if theres been little or no crime in his neighborhood then whats the point. Now iF theres been crime I don't have a problem with him "patrolling" but I hope he'd have the sense to have a cell phone and his first move would be to call the police.
And the rifle is perfectly fine in his own house for his own defense. But really the police need to set him down and have a talk with him. Looking for trouble is the easiest way to find it.
I would not presume to guess at his motivation. Perhaps he simply got fed up with all the anti-American anti-gun propaganda from mainstream media and decided he was going to exercise his constitutionally protected inherent individual right.

If it makes you nervous, then that is an issue you have to deal with. It is not his problem. His rights end at your nose, not your line of sight. If the sight of a firearm makes you tremble in fear, close your blinds. As long as he obeys the oppressive anti-gun laws there is not a damn thing the police can do. You will just have to seek counseling for your hoplophobia.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:34 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,069,252 times
Quote:
I would not presume to guess at his motivation. Perhaps he simply got fed up with all the anti-American anti-gun propaganda from mainstream media and decided he was going to exercise his constitutionally protected inherent individual right.

If it makes you nervous, then that is an issue you have to deal with. It is not his problem. His rights end at your nose, not your line of sight. If the sight of a firearm makes you tremble in fear, close your blinds. As long as he obeys the oppressive anti-gun laws there is not a damn thing the police can do. You will just have to seek counseling for your hoplophobia.
So entitled some these gun owners are.

The pretend there are no limitations to their rights although it's clear in the Constitution and reaffirmed by the Supreme Court. Despite this they still pretend that the right of gun ownership is absolute, and like most other rights it is limited.

So arrogant some of these gun owners are.

His rights end when he infringes on the rights of others. I think the mother in the video has the right to the enjoyment of her home, her kids the right to play in the yard with a stranger with a gun and a knife "patrolling".

Guns are not America. At least not my America. Freedom is. So is community. Community means respecting each other and the rights of all-- not just those of gun owners.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:46 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,902,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
So entitled some these gun owners are.

The pretend there are no limitations to their rights although it's clear in the Constitution and reaffirmed by the Supreme Court. Despite this they still pretend that the right of gun ownership is absolute, and like most other rights it is limited.

So arrogant some of these gun owners are.

His rights end when he infringes on the rights of others. I think the mother in the video has the right to the enjoyment of her home, her kids the right to play in the yard with a stranger with a gun and a knife "patrolling".

Guns are not America. At least not my America. Freedom is. So is community. Community means respecting each other and the rights of all-- not just those of gun owners.
He hasn't infringed on anyones rights... He is carrying a rifle.. Big deal. He has a knife. So? When he starts pointing it at the neighbors, then he has infringed. Until he does, leave him alone and ignore him.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Guns are not America. At least not my America. Freedom is.
As history has amply demonstrated, you cannot have one without the other.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:00 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,849,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
While that might be the norm in Alaska, I'd say it's not in most metropolitan areas. As a result, if someone is walking around with a visible weapon, people, at best, take interest, at worst, wonder what that person is planning to do with that gun.

Let's use a parallel situation. Say you're from a country where dogs as pets are uncommon, but feral dogs are something to fear. Now, say you visit a place where dogs as pets are common. You see someone walking a dog and you get out of the way because context has conditioned you to fear dogs.

In the US, in most metropolitan areas, we have been conditioned by lack of personal experience and the media's portrayal of guns used in mass shootings to be afraid of guns in the same way.

Maybe that's not your experience, but your experience may be an outlier among US citizens in general. Context is very important.
Here most times it will result in a friendly conversation especially if it is an unusual or interesting firearm.

Now if it is found out that the person with the firearm has bad intentions.....well.....he won't for long......

Old 04-29-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
Here most times it will result in a friendly conversation especially if it is an unusual or interesting firearm.

Now if it is found out that the person with the firearm has bad intentions.....well.....he won't for long......
Indeed. In fact, in those few times when I have been pulled over, and informed the officer that I was armed, the officer usually asks me what type of firearm, and we begin talking about firearms from that point on. More often than not, the officer forgets why he pulled me over in the first place, and I am on my way.

Some may have been testing my intentions, but I would say most were genuinely interested and we both shared our preferences and our prejudices with regard to firearms and ammunition.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:44 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,902,490 times
Quote:
Indeed. In fact, in those few times when I have been pulled over, and informed the officer that I was armed, the officer usually asks me what type of firearm, and we begin talking about firearms from that point on. More often than not, the officer forgets why he pulled me over in the first place, and I am on my way.

Some may have been testing my intentions, but I would say most were genuinely interested and we both shared our preferences and our prejudices with regard to firearms and ammunition.
I've had the same experience. One officer had me dead to rights on a speeding violation.. We talked firearms for about 30 minutes and he cut me loose. Now he waves at me when I go by... I think Texas and Alaska have a lot of great things in common...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies