Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 12:55 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Gee, I can't wait for private pyle to open up on some guy he doesn't recognize digging around in a car in the driveway.....only to find out it's someones uncle visiting from out of town.

I know 2 guys that were looking for rattlesnakes on a public road in TX one night.
3 youngs guys showed up with a truck, put floodlights on them and held them at gunpoint.

When the adults showed up, they explained to the junior woodchucks that the guys could bring felony charges against them.

We don't need untrained, potentially overzealous private vigilates roaming the neighborhood with firearms. If he wants to do it with a radio, then I would be happy to have him do so and would pitch in some $$$.
That is crazy.

Who the hell looks for Rattle Snakes on a public road at night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 12:56 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,638 times
The most significant thing I'm noticing about this thread, is that the (few) people who think the kid shouldn't be walking around with the rifle, are all automatically assuming the kid is stupid, or criminally careless, or ignorant and untrained with firearms, or mentally deficient, or paranoid, or possessing of EXTREMELY poor judgement.

In other words, they are assuming the kid will act like they themselves are acting in this thread.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:58 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
The most significant thing I'm noticing about this thread, is that the (few) people who think the kid shouldn't be walking around with the rifle, are all automatically assuming the kid is stupid, or criminally careless, or mentally deficient, or paranoid, or possessing of EXTREMELY poor judgement.

In other words, they are assuming the kid will act like they themselves are acting in this thread.
I'll note that you just called a number of us mentally deficient.

This was a pretty civil and productive discussion up till that point.

Can't help yourself, can you?

Old 04-29-2013, 12:59 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I'll note that you just called a number of us mentally deficient.

This was a pretty civil and productive discussion up till that point.

Re-read what I wrote.

Slowly.

And while you're at it, I suggest you review the thread and discover who was the first to call someone "crazy", and with "mental health problems".

Old 04-29-2013, 01:02 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
You reference concealed carries which are, by definition, concealed, so we don't see them. Thus, my point. We don't, usually, see citizens walking around with guns out. So, this young man's actions are, as I said, weird in the strictest sense.

And, as a result, combined with common news coverage of recent and not-so-recent mass killings, we, as a society, in general, would stereotype this person as a troublemaker.

I'm not saying the stereotype is "good" or an accurate representation of the actual situation, only that it is our collective perception based on the context in this country.
Out in these parts, its not uncommon at all to see people openly carry. I'm one of them.

Never had I had anybody get all weird either.

Look deeper into the actions. Its slung over his back. Hes picking up trash.

Over the years, the news, TV, and politicians did a good job at making guns out to be a bad thing.

Educate the people that they are not bad things. Its some people that are bad.

Teach to be observant, you can learn a lot quickly by just watching.

Most people will never encounter a crazy gun slinging guy out to kill them. People need to look for behaviors of a criminal. Somebody thats out to rob or kill is very unlikely going to be in public displaying their weapons, picking up trash.

We need to change the way people think!

Old 04-29-2013, 01:04 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,463,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
The most significant thing I'm noticing about this thread, is that the (few) people who think the kid shouldn't be walking around with the rifle, are all automatically assuming the kid is stupid, or criminally careless, or ignorant and untrained with firearms, or mentally deficient, or paranoid, or possessing of EXTREMELY poor judgement.

It's not common for a 19-year-old to be walking around with a rifle slung over his shoulder. It's hardly unreasonable, then, for people to ask about his motivations. Stripping the situation of all societal context doesn't contribute to the validity of your statement.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:04 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
That is crazy.

Who the hell looks for Rattle Snakes on a public road at night?
I think that goes to the fact that there are contexts where open carry as this kid is doing might not raise an eyebrow. Looking for rattle snakes on a public road at night, like patrolling a neighborhood as a self-appointed hero (or vigilante), are contexts that are crazy. If you're crazy, or your judgement is that poor, you shouldn't own a gun.

Owning a gun is for the responsible.

On another matter
Last time I called the police it too 90 seconds-- But of course here in Connecticut we actually fund these types of services well...

Old 04-29-2013, 01:08 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,463,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
Out in these parts, its not uncommon at all to see people openly carry. I'm one of them.

Never had I had anybody get all weird either.

Look deeper into the actions. Its slung over his back. Hes picking up trash.

Over the years, the news, TV, and politicians did a good job at making guns out to be a bad thing.

Educate the people that they are not bad things. Its some people that are bad.

Teach to be observant, you can learn a lot quickly by just watching.

Most people will never encounter a crazy gun slinging guy out to kill them. People need to look for behaviors of a criminal. Somebody thats out to rob or kill is very unlikely going to be in public displaying their weapons, picking up trash.

We need to change the way people think!
Perhaps it's not odd where you live. Come to the suburbs of most major cities and it's very, very unusual. Meanwhile, yes, people have been brainwashed to think everyone who openly carries is going to cause problems. But, then again, what can any of us expect, reasonably, given Newtown, Aurora, etc.?

Old 04-29-2013, 01:09 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Let's not confuse defending your home with having an armed untrained self-appointed neighborhood watch-kid.

Now, if the story was about a retired law enforcement officer or ex-FBI etc. then my concern pretty much disappears as long as they don't have something wrong upstairs like early onset dementia. I just don't want untrained barney fifes playing policeman.

Kids 19, why the heck isn't he in the military or police training etc? Won't they accept him?
That was in response to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Call the cops. Works where I live.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:11 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,921 times
It is quite common here in Alaska to see people of all ages walking around with all types of firearms. Most don't give it a second look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies