Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2013, 10:46 PM

258 posts, read 238,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Almost all the married people I know have had sex before marriage and are doing just fine.

Also, I think you generalize too much in your posts, when something on an individual level doesn't go with your story, you call it an exception so that it doesn't disrupt your believes on a generalized groups. That is actually very unhealthy behavior to have.
It's the complete opposite when I'm showing numbers that show rates of behavior put people at rates that are even orders of magnitude worse than people who smoke getting lung cancer, and the detractors have to come out the wood works with every excuse in the book to defend the behavior

When you cherry pick exceptions, it is not "making excuses" when pointing out exceptions are not the rule.

I mean again using your logic if you named 5 people who smoked and lived longer than people who didn't smoke, then all the data that says smoking puts people at higher rates of a numerous list of diseases and lowered the average life expectancy by a decade would be invalid because of your cherry picked exceptions

Despite all the examples of domestic violence, child abuse, etc that is behavior that is NOT the norm. The norm is overwhelmingly much more stable among married couples that stay together which is why the rates of just about every negative behavior that can be associated with children is much higher among those who grow up without that traditional family background.

You state that most people have sex before marriage who are in those marriages. But how many of those sexual acts with partners other than their spouse actually contributed to leading to marriage?

If people were still single, how exactly did that work out for them? All it did was put them at more risk for being on the list for all the negative physical, psychological, and economic risk factors especially for promiscuity. But even for 2-3 additional partners to one's eventual spouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 10:55 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTC View Post
It's the complete opposite when I'm showing numbers that show rates of behavior put people at rates that are even orders of magnitude worse than people who smoke getting lung cancer, and the detractors have to come out the wood works with every excuse in the book to defend the behavior

When you cherry pick exceptions, it is not "making excuses" when pointing out exceptions are not the rule.

I mean again using your logic if you named 5 people who smoked and lived longer than people who didn't smoke, then all the data that says smoking puts people at higher rates of a numerous list of diseases and lowered the average life expectancy by a decade would be invalid because of your cherry picked exceptions

Despite all the examples of domestic violence, child abuse, etc that is behavior that is NOT the norm. The norm is overwhelmingly much more stable among married couples that stay together which is why the rates of just about every negative behavior that can be associated with children is much higher among those who grow up without that traditional family background.

You state that most people have sex before marriage who are in those marriages. But how many of those sexual acts with partners other than their spouse actually contributed to leading to marriage?

If people were still single, how exactly did that work out for them? All it did was put them at more risk for being on the list for all the negative physical, psychological, and economic risk factors especially for promiscuity. But even for 2-3 additional partners to one's eventual spouse.
Thank god that isn't the norm, I think it is safe to say that most people in traditional and non-traditional families, which I have to question what traditional even means these days, are healthy families.

Well seeing that I am marrying a girl I am having sex with, she is the only sexual partner I am marrying. But that doesn't change the fact that I have learned a tremendous amount about myself through past partners which have included growth and maturity that has lead me to be able to find the right marriage for me. If I would of married the first girl I had sex with, I would probably be working on my second marriage now because my first one would of already fallen apart.

Hey, a great way by your ideals to get rid of singlehood would be arranged marriages straight out of high school so we would never be single. I would hate to of been married when I was 18 years old because I hadn't reached a level of maturity to know what I wanted out of a marriage, now at 35, I do know that and I am happy for the partners I have had over the years that have gotten me to this point.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:59 PM

258 posts, read 238,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Thank god that isn't the norm, I think it is safe to say that most people in traditional and non-traditional families, which I have to question what traditional even means these days, are healthy families.

Well seeing that I am marrying a girl I am having sex with, she is the only sexual partner I am marrying. But that doesn't change the fact that I have learned a tremendous amount about myself through past partners which have included growth and maturity that has lead me to be able to find the right marriage for me. If I would of married the first girl I had sex with, I would probably be working on my second marriage now because my first one would of already fallen apart.

Hey, a great way by your ideals to get rid of singlehood would be arranged marriages straight out of high school so we would never be single. I would hate to of been married when I was 18 years old because I hadn't reached a level of maturity to know what I wanted out of a marriage, now at 35, I do know that and I am happy for the partners I have had over the years that have gotten me to this point.
Relationships built primarily on sexual pleasure aren't going to last anyway. That's one of the problems of today's relationships which are based so heavily on physical attraction. And women especially who think they can keep a man in a relationship based on sex, are fooling themselves.

So the idea that one person wouldn't have worked out that you found out after "test driving" again that may work out for you without those tangible negative effects, but it certainly does not work out for the masses. For instance, those women who give themselves sexually to please a guy, how's it working out for so many of them who do not end up in matrimony?

The problem is that you have projected your example as if it's an exception to all examples.

Again the equivalent of you telling a story about someone who is better off than someone who lived a healthier lifestyle in terms of diet, smoking, alcohol, etc

You may have overcome those increased risk factors, but society as a whole is not better off under those ideals

And even if they don't touch you personally, if you instill those same values if you have children or other children that you influence, it will continue the decline.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:19 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
Unless it's inherited genetically, you contract HIV from actually partaking in sexually deviant behavior showing disregard for yourself and your body
Wrong. You contract HIV from vaginal or anal sex. Through breastfeeding. Through infected blood. Through vaginal childbirth. You can be single or married. Male or female. Gay or straight. Do you believe the virus picks and chooses whose delicate tissues it invades?

You probably also do not know that receiving antiretroviral treatment makes the risk of passing HIV on to your partner go down to practically zero. But I suppose your solution is to prevent everyone from having sex rather than prevent everyone from being educated, tested and free from the risk of infection.

By the way, HIV is not genetic. Educate your damnself.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:21 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Relationships built primarily on sexual pleasure aren't going to last anyway. That's one of the problems of today's relationships which are based so heavily on physical attraction. And women especially who think they can keep a man in a relationship based on sex, are fooling themselves.

So the idea that one person wouldn't have worked out that you found out after "test driving" again that may work out for you without those tangible negative effects, but it certainly does not work out for the masses. For instance, those women who give themselves sexually to please a guy, how's it working out for so many of them who do not end up in matrimony?

The problem is that you have projected your example as if it's an exception to all examples.

Again the equivalent of you telling a story about someone who is better off than someone who lived a healthier lifestyle in terms of diet, smoking, alcohol, etc

You may have overcome those increased risk factors, but society as a whole is not better off under those ideals

And even if they don't touch you personally, if you instill those same values if you have children or other children that you influence, it will continue the decline.
Again you are generalizing, I never said anything about sex being a primary reason for a relationship. None of my relationships ended because of sex, they all ended do to not being compatible.

The problem you are having is you are generalizing people as if you know which each person is like simply because they are single or married.

The values I plan on instilling in my child is going to be to love and respect yourself and learn about yourself in order to figure out what you want in life and what you want out of a partner. For me, I wanted someone who was my equal, not someone I was above or below.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:30 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,131,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Wrong. You contract HIV from vaginal or anal sex. Through breastfeeding. Through infected blood. Through vaginal childbirth. You can be single or married. Male or female. Gay or straight. Do you believe the virus picks and chooses whose delicate tissues it invades?

You probably also do not know that receiving antiretroviral treatment makes the risk of passing HIV on to your partner go down to practically zero. But I suppose your solution is to prevent everyone from having sex rather than prevent everyone from being educated, tested and free from the risk of infection.

By the way, HIV is not genetic. Educate your damnself.
The gay guys fueled aids to what it is today and continue to do so, a known scientific fact....
start from there if you want to develop a point.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:32 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Veteran NBA Center Jason Collins:

The floodgates will now be opened. One can only wonder where this will lead. Will this diminish the stature of professional athletes? Will straight children now look to gay men as role models? What happens when players on opposite sides of the ball are married to each other? We have brothers facing each other now, but husbands and "wives"?
Only the morons will be upset, because they are morons.

Everything else will continue on like normal.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:34 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,131,227 times
The guys a fraud....one of his girlfriends came out. A skinny model type blonde....hes one of those guys that will do it to anybody, but doesn't tell the women...and thats how the women get hiv...she was shocked and prob now has to go get checked....what a terrible crowd in every way...so much for the big story, total shame right off the bat and hardly surprising.

Last edited by stargazzer; 04-30-2013 at 11:54 PM..

Old 05-01-2013, 05:14 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
The guys a fraud....one of his girlfriends came out. A skinny model type blonde....hes one of those guys that will do it to anybody, but doesn't tell the women...and thats how the women get hiv...she was shocked and prob now has to go get checked....what a terrible crowd in every way...so much for the big story, total shame right off the bat and hardly surprising.

He hasn't been with his girlfriend since 2009.

Many gay guys, especially when younger try the whole "beard" thing, try to live society's expectation. When you're younger, it's easier to do this. The wind blows and a young guy can get an erection. Friction does its job no matter what or who you're having sex with.

Thankfully this guy called it off and didn't enter into a sham marriage. Everyone deserves to be in a relationship with a partner that desires them wholly - gay or straight.

Ironically though, crack geniuses such as yourself demand gay people do EXACTLY what Jason Collins did ---- and then apparently get pissed off when you find out that they did it.

We already know you have ZERO moral consistency, so it's not surprising.... looks like you just keep moving the ball so you can continue to be outraged.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:18 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Veteran NBA Center Jason Collins:

The floodgates will now be opened. One can only wonder where this will lead. Will this diminish the stature of professional athletes? Will straight children now look to gay men as role models? What happens when players on opposite sides of the ball are married to each other? We have brothers facing each other now, but husbands and "wives"?
It's life.

That's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies