Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 07:29 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Edward, I totally agree with you. The man was on the downside of a not-so-stellar career anyway and any team that would pick him up would be for publicity more then anything else. This why he did not come out when he got drafted. Griner has this luxury simply because she is that good and will be the number one draft pick in a league that is full of lesbians to begin with.
The guy was an NBA player. How many people have that honor?

Are you trying to downplay his accomplishments? Do you play sports?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 08:50 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Jason Collins honoured with courage award from leading gay-straight alliance organisation GLSEN.
Jason’s actions also send another clear message to young people that sexual orientation can no longer be the standard to unfairly judge an athlete’s ability or potential.

Jason joins the ranks of trailblazers like Martina Navratilova, Greg Louganis, Wade Davis and Brittney Griner.

We have witnessed another obstacle overcome in sports.
After collins made his 'trailblazing' announcement, I can hardly keep track of active players who've followed his lead. The ones I can think of are... ummm... errrr... uhhh.... ????

Old 05-23-2013, 11:33 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
After collins made his 'trailblazing' announcement, I can hardly keep track of active players who've followed his lead. The ones I can think of are... ummm... errrr... uhhh.... ????
It gave courage to Out hunky Robbie Rodgers to possibly return to Pro Soccer and maybe his trailblazing announcement last Winter led Jason Collins to become true in who he is.

Robbie Rogers May Return to Pro Soccer | The Bilerico Project

Old 05-23-2013, 01:24 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,297,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I think you've got it backwards. Words like yours and the rest of the old and dying breed (signs of senility are already rampant) of bigots will be looked back on by future generations the same way we felt watching those people argue against abolition, miscegenation, the women's vote, etc. in movies, tv and film.

80%+.... that's the percent of under-30s that are NOT on your side. That's a demographic trend you cannot run away from, no matter how deep your build your prepper shelter.
It should be duly noted that the average age of an athlete in all four of our major sports is under 30, and pro sports is a microcosm of the general population.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:54 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
The guy was an NBA player. How many people have that honor?

Are you trying to downplay his accomplishments? Do you play sports?

I did not play pro sports, but I do recognize game when I see it. Look at his lifetime stats, and his contract was coming to an end now do you really think that another team would have picked him up anyway? How many years did he play and why did he decide to come out near the end of his career?

What was the point that he is trying to make at this late date?

Old 05-26-2013, 05:04 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
collins is noble ? You have a low standard. Gutsy might fit if he'd been himself 3, 6, 9 years ago when he was an active player with his career in front of him. Now he's a guy who went from a relatively obscure basketball player to a media darling. The lesson he taught young gay athletes is if they try hard enough, they too can hide their gayness.
Perhaps you don't know what it is like to be "Gay" and a "black Athlete" at the same time! Are you really this dumb?

Old 05-26-2013, 05:11 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,820 times
Quote:

Will this ruin pro sports?
So, when can I expect pro sports to ruined? All I have on TV today is sports, sports, sports, and I hate it.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:28 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Perhaps you don't know what it is like to be "Gay" and a "black Athlete" at the same time! Are you really this dumb?
Black athletes have it so horrible? I guess somebody should tell Darrell Revis his 16 million a year is pocket change I mean if only he were white.................

Look at these poor souls in the NBA too........

1. Kobe Bryant $27,849,000 2. Brandon Roy $21,459,805 3. Dirk Nowitzki $20,907,128 4. Gilbert Arenas $20,807,922 5. Amare Stoudemire $19,948,799 6. Joe Johnson $19,752,645 7. Carmelo Anthony $19,450,000 8. Dwight Howard $19,261,200 9. Pau Gasol $19,000,000 10. Elton Brand $18,160,354

Old 05-26-2013, 10:25 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,218,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Veteran NBA Center Jason Collins:

The floodgates will now be opened. One can only wonder where this will lead. Will this diminish the stature of professional athletes? Will straight children now look to gay men as role models? What happens when players on opposite sides of the ball are married to each other? We have brothers facing each other now, but husbands and "wives"?
The floodgates will be opened? Do you expect there are tons of gay athletes in the big three sports? If that were the case, wouldn't their "gayness" diminish the quality of the game whether or not the public knows about it?

There are surely a hand-full of gay professional athletes out there who will eventually come out, but the vast majority are straight and I assume the public and players will, for the most part, go on their merry way.

I'm sorry, but this is a stupid question.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:30 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I did not play pro sports, but I do recognize game when I see it. Look at his lifetime stats, and his contract was coming to an end now do you really think that another team would have picked him up anyway? How many years did he play and why did he decide to come out near the end of his career?

What was the point that he is trying to make at this late date?
His point must be that if you try hard enough, you too can hide that you're gay as a pro athlete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies