Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 08:18 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,273,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
I am always surprised with how quick people in the United States label all Latinos as one race. The government doesn't do it but the people do as is represented in the media.

I am shocked by this because upon my many travels to Latin America, not once did I hear anyone consider Latinos a "race" of people. People down there categorized themselves as either; mixed (Amerindian/Spanish), white, black or other. But in the United States, all Hispanic people are tought of as Latino.

Why is this? Do Americans really think that Andy Garcia and George Lopez are the same? One is white, the other is clearly more Amerindian looking. Sammy Sosa and Dominicans look totally different from Argentineans. White Cubans can and do look as American as any other White American. Afro-Latinos from Cuba and Puerto Rico can look as black as a Jamaican or African American. Why are they seen as so different?

Why is there such confusion over Latinos in the US?
Race is a fantasy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 08:22 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,139,880 times
Quote:
Humans are a species not a race. So stop with the race doesn't matter thing. It's real but its importance shouldn't be stressed.

We're actually a subspecies; there are other subspecies of Homo sapiens e.g. Homo sapiens idaltu and, according to some taxonomists, Homo sapiens neanderthalensis. Some taxonomists place Neanderthals in their own species of the genus Homo, e.g. Homo neanderthalensis.

/stepping off incredibly pedantic soapbox

Old 04-30-2013, 08:24 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,714,501 times
Quote:
I am always surprised with how quick people in the United States label all Latinos as one race. The government doesn't do it but the people do as is represented in the media.

I am shocked by this because upon my many travels to Latin America, not once did I hear anyone consider Latinos a "race" of people. People down there categorized themselves as either; mixed (Amerindian/Spanish), white, black or other. But in the United States, all Hispanic people are tought of as Latino.

Why is this? Do Americans really think that Andy Garcia and George Lopez are the same? One is white, the other is clearly more Amerindian looking. Sammy Sosa and Dominicans look totally different from Argentineans. White Cubans can and do look as American as any other White American. Afro-Latinos from Cuba and Puerto Rico can look as black as a Jamaican or African American. Why are they seen as so different?

The idea of disparate Spanish speakers constituting a unified quasi-race is promoted by Latino interest groups in America. The largest such group actually calls itself "La Raza."

Old 04-30-2013, 08:28 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,916,982 times
I'm the "other white" meat...

Old 04-30-2013, 08:55 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,552,829 times
Quote:

I don't know, you've done a good job of explaining things.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Um no, you are wrong white and Asian are races. African is a nationality, however. Black would be a race.
African is NOT a nationality, being that there are more than 50 countries on the continent. South African is a nationality, but of course that refers only to those from one country in Africa.

And Asian is not a race; you may be able to split it between East Asian and South Asian.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:59 AM

62,606 posts, read 28,790,915 times
Quote:
Humans are a species not a race. So stop with the race doesn't matter thing. It's real but its importance shouldn't be stressed.
There are different races among the human species. It's about a mix of genetics. Dogs are dogs but there are different breeds among them just to use an analogy.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:07 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,214,150 times
Well the government has White and non-Hispanic White so pick one or the other.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:09 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,832,382 times
Quote:
Um no, you are wrong white and Asian are races...
It is actually Caucasoid, Negroid, and Mongoloid...

Quote:
...African is a nationality, however...
Africa is a continent, but Sarah Palin got that wrong too...

Quote:
...Black would be a race.
See above...

Old 04-30-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well the government has White and non-Hispanic White so pick one or the other.
Only in a limited context. The Census asks people if they are White, Black, Asian or a couple of other choices; then in another question they ask if the person is Hispanic. They emphasize that Hispanic persons can be of any race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies