Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 06:00 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
There was never a time when the U.S. was controlled exclusively by straight WASP males, that's a myth and typically intellectually lazy thinking (par for this forum). Even as far back as the 18th and 19th century there were Catholics, Jews, German, French, Irish power brokers in politics and business. Not all of them were straight. Women have always had a huge influence, for example in the Abolitionist, Temperance, Sufferage and Progressive campaigns.
Were things better in the past? Overall, probably not. I'm reminded of that when I have dental work done with the benefit of anesthesia etc.
Have white males made things better for everyone today? You bet they have, and more than anyone else. The inventions and innovations are too numerous to list them all.
Instead of whining about alleged oppression, how about being thankful for your car, computer, electricity, television, indoor plumbing, internet, phone, medical technology, engineering, clean water, abundant food etc.
Thank Edison, Ford, Marconi, Pasteur and all the other white male doers and achievers whose contributions are available to all races and think for a moment where you would be without them.
You should also thank Charles R. Drew, a Black man. His research and work on blood plasma helped save alot of lives of the Allied forces during WWII.

You have George Washington Carver, who found a multitude of uses for the peanut, not to mention helping to spur an agricultural revolution in the South.

Percy L. Julian. He was a pioneer in the medical industry. He was the first person to sythesize physostigmine. His work laid the foundation for the production of cortisone.

Leonidas Berry, pioneer of the gastroscope.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:01 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
I'm a WASP but the first person of whom I think whenever someone starts whining about how things were soooo much better in the "good old days" is Emmit Till. So the answer is NO.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:35 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I'm a WASP but the first person of whom I think whenever someone starts whining about how things were soooo much better in the "good old days" is Emmit Till.
Odd. Have you ever wondered why that is?

Old 05-04-2013, 02:03 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,227,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Wasn't the country a better place when we ran this country?
Racist.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:18 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It wasn't good for Blacks under White apartheid rule. Blacks basically lived under a dictatorship during apartheid era South Africa.
So, they gave control to a group who ruined the whole country economically, rather than just change the laws to allow blacks to participate. Makes sense to me.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've seen that sentiment frequently on City-Data this past year--that black people were really better off in the 1950s. It must be a popular new thing to say amongst a certain set.

I have yet to see one black person say that they were better off in the 1950s, however.
No one said blacks were better off, but history proves blacks were making steady progress. The welfare programs that were passed with good intentions were way over the top and allowed many to take a free ride and no incentive to do better. The only thing it should have allowed for is to give all a free education and provide income while attending school. This alone would have provided the much needed education to succeed and provide for future generations. Instead, all it has done is educated many of how to take advantage of the system.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:29 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,168,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Wasn't the country a better place when we ran this country?
Whatever it was it isn't now. Since most of our population growth now rests with mexican immigrants I believe you can expect a third world environment for the future of this part of the planet.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There are people sitting there, pretending that they know what is best for people like me. Deep down, the "Blacks had it better in the 50s" catch phrase is just a way to cover up one's own feelings. I think some people know the 50s weren't that good for Black people. Some people want a time when Blacks were expected to "know their place".
I think we all need to ''know our place"

Old 05-04-2013, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOS0311 View Post
That they procured from the unpaid labor of others...

Oh to live in voluntary ignorance...
Yea, white laborers worked for slave wages in unsafe conditions, I knew you would get it!

Old 05-04-2013, 05:59 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,168,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Yea, white laborers worked for slave wages in unsafe conditions, I knew you would get it!
I'd settle for white folks, all folks for that matter just being able to work.

Gallup Daily: U.S. Employment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies