Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 11:40 AM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
First off you aren't asking a question. Your question is an answer to what you believe.

The rest of your post is irrelevant.

It would be much more honest for you to say, that you think black people cry racism.

This belief informs your understanding of discussion of racial discrimination against black Americans.

Many people believe that black Americans cry racism to gain an advantage(lol) or whatever myth people want to believe.

Lack of success due to interests?(lol)

The NAACP is a big organization with many chapters and many members are you sure you know the official NAACP position on black Americans in science?(lol)

Here is a hint their position and their efforts are a lot more complicated than racism keeps black students out of science programs.
The US has undergone a transition from heavy racism to less (but not none) racism in the current era. How hard is it to follow that there are those that will see racism behind many actions due to history....and be wrong? And by comparison there are those that have blinders on to it's continued presence both directly and indirectly.

Lots of grey in-between.

The only difference between us is that you seem to think that all claims of racism are valid and you are trying to paint my skepticism over SOME claims as a strawman that I think all claims are just illegitimate whining.

I merely bring up the asian thing because I find it extremely ironic that you dismissed their prevalence as being where their interests lay (Which I completely agree with fyi) when that is a wholely unacceptable defense in any legal venue and there are a host of lawsuits brought all the time based solely on the "numbers" not being "balanced".

If you wish to defend lawsuits against magnet schools for having "too many asians" then so be it. (lol)

Old 04-30-2013, 12:04 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Since I do not follow football to the point where I don't even watch the superbowl, I can't really assess. But I am convinced that in the NBA at times the shoe has been on the other foot. I remember hearing Michael Jordan complain once that he knew white players who couldn't get a fair shot in the NBA because they were not the right skin tone.

I also think that in the 80's, Red Auerbach pursued a deliberate strategy of seeking out white players who tended to be undervalued. He wound up with 3 white starters (Bird, McHale, Ainge) at a time when the league was probably 80% or more black. I remember that there were a lot of murmurs back then that the Celtics were team KKK or something (even though the coach was black) but in fact it was the other way around. Auerbach was just taking advantage of the fact that other teams were undervaluing players based on skin-tone--in other words practicing a subtle form of racism.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:14 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The US has undergone a transition from heavy racism to less (but not none) racism in the current era. How hard is it to follow that there are those that will see racism behind many actions due to history....and be wrong? And by comparison there are those that have blinders on to it's continued presence both directly and indirectly.

Lots of grey in-between.

The only difference between us is that you seem to think that all claims of racism are valid and you are trying to paint my skepticism over SOME claims as a strawman that I think all claims are just illegitimate whining.

I merely bring up the asian thing because I find it extremely ironic that you dismissed their prevalence as being where their interests lay (Which I completely agree with fyi) when that is a wholely unacceptable defense in any legal venue and there are a host of lawsuits brought all the time based solely on the "numbers" not being "balanced".

If you wish to defend lawsuits against magnet schools for having "too many asians" then so be it. (lol)
Irrelevant, I don't care about your fantasy beliefs that black Americans see racism everywhere.

I wrote nothing about interests. I have no idea what Asians are interested in doing.

I wrote if more Asians play football and make the argument that they face racial discrimination, then I am sure those questions will be asked.

Black people DO play football, black quarterbacks DO exist, black students DO go to American schools. And some Americans do ask those questions.

You don't see the difference?

It is the difference between speculation and reality.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:43 PM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Irrelevant, I don't care about your fantasy beliefs that black Americans see racism everywhere.
At this point you are just trying to repeat your tired little strawman to avoid an honest discussion of the topic.

Is that you Kanye?

Old 04-30-2013, 01:48 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Just asking here, where is the love for a white cornerback, running back, receiver, defensive end, etc? These types of threads are BS, in the NFL it does not matter what color you are it's all about winning and money.
Eric Fisher is the #1 first round draft pick, and he is a white offensive tackle.

Watch, someone will probally say that it is racist to have picked him over Geno Smith, regardless of the needs of the Kansas City Chiefs.

Someone will say that the Chiefs name is racist as well.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:52 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,629 times
"OMG, I'm black and I signed a multi-million dollar contract to play in the NFL!!!! Whaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! Poor me, I'm black!!!!!"

Old 04-30-2013, 03:14 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
At this point you are just trying to repeat your tired little strawman to avoid an honest discussion of the topic.

Is that you Kanye?
Honest discussion? LOL, irrelevant, either make your point or not, this is all that matters.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:46 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Yes, it's true.

I'll be sure to shed a few tears for Geno Smith the next time I hit the tanning salon and pay Obama's white's only tax.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:56 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
That game just shows how bad UT sucked.

He looked great up until then, but went down hill in a hurry after that.
I can't disagree with you on that, but it was Austin, not Smith who ran over UT.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:16 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
I love Geno Smith's attitude and am very much looking forward to seeing him play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies