Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 06:44 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why do non-unionized people whine at the benefits union personnel have?
I was not whining.

I was pointing out a fact that many union supporters have such low self esteem that they feel that their labor is worth minimum wage, so they need someone to fight for them.

BTW....the highest paid people I know are non-union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 06:45 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,311,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I was not whining.

I was pointing out a fact that many union supporters have such low self esteem that they feel that their labor is worth minimum wage, so they need someone to fight for them.
Can you provide evidence to support your 'fact'?

Old 04-30-2013, 06:48 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineComedy View Post
Can you provide evidence to support your 'fact'?
EVERY pro-union person I know say the same thing....."If not for unions, they would pay us minimum wage with no benefits!"

That's enough evidence for me.

Perhaps your labor IS worthy of only minimum wage and no benefits? Your employer doesn't owe it to you to pay you based on your need.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:52 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,311,428 times
Quote:
Perhaps your labor IS worthy of only minimum wage and no benefits? Your employer doesn't owe it to you to pay you based on your need.
Are you referring to me specifically? Do you anything about me specifically? Are you speaking from a position of ignorance or knowledge?

Old 04-30-2013, 06:53 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Are you that insecure about your ability that you think that without union support your labor isn't valued?

I am glad that I was instilled with the self confidence of knowing that I don't need someone to negotiate my worth for me.
There's a lot more to it than wages but I think you know that.

I make good money (IBEW member) working for a public utility. I wouldn't be here if not for the money. I would probably be running my own business building/remodeling houses which is my real passion. But the wages and benefits are great as is the pension so I do the building work on the side.

The union just is, I didn't start it but I pay the dues. For me it's great and I would not want to be in the job I'm in and not be protected. I've seen this company lay off really good managers just because they didn't kiss enough butt. I've seen them send out lay off notices the day before Thanksgiving in email to their non union people.

They haven't laid off a union person in 80 years. Pension is guaranteed. For me that's worth $68 a month.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:57 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I don't know what others think, I doubt they are thinking along the same lines as you, but I doubt even you would put up with working in a physically intensive job for 14 hours with enough pay to buy several loaves of bread, crappy shoes and low quality clothes while living in a high rise roach motel. This country did not become the great country that it is today on Mexican or Chinese wages, that much I do know
Take a look at your calendar. Is today April 30, 1930?

Old 04-30-2013, 06:59 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineComedy View Post
Don't buy a car from GM.
How is this an issue?
I paid into their unions by way of my taxes, that are taken from me without choice.

That's the issue.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:06 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why do non-unionized people whine at the benefits union personnel have?
class warfare.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:26 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
There's a lot more to it than wages but I think you know that.

I make good money (IBEW member) working for a public utility. I wouldn't be here if not for the money. I would probably be running my own business building/remodeling houses which is my real passion. But the wages and benefits are great as is the pension so I do the building work on the side.

The union just is, I didn't start it but I pay the dues. For me it's great and I would not want to be in the job I'm in and not be protected. I've seen this company lay off really good managers just because they didn't kiss enough butt. I've seen them send out lay off notices the day before Thanksgiving in email to their non union people.

They haven't laid off a union person in 80 years. Pension is guaranteed. For me that's worth $68 a month.
That is pretty disgusting. You mean to say that the company is so inefficient that people can sit around doing less than they should and not have to worry about being laid off? In what universe will that produce a high-quality product?

Unions reward their members at the expense of society as a whole.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:29 AM

64 posts, read 133,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
They haven't laid off a union person in 80 years.
Exactly why I have a problem with most unions. Employees who do not have a good work ethic and do not contribute to the success of the company (or public entity) will still be protected. And don't try to tell me that you don't have those type of folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies