Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 03:44 PM

29,818 posts, read 24,898,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Many of our plants are in regions adding jobs at a brisk pace. That affects FMV. Nashville, for instance, grew jobs at a 3.9% annual clip in 2012, faster than all other metros with 1 million or more population.
If I were a business man, I would be building plants in the areas with the highest concentration of $8-$10/hr workers as well. If I were a skilled worker who could count without the aid of fingers and toes, I would either move north, or stay there. Regardless if RTW offers the right to choose, it's pretty clear that RTW states almost always offer lower wages for comparable positions.

Sorry, but around these parts, we like our living wages. RTW simply translates into RTW - for less. If companies got rid of the silly bonuses and outrageous perks for various white collar staff, there would be plenty left over to sell products at an affordable price while paying every work at least a living wage. The south is simply trying to emulate the plantation social structure. Enjoy your slave wage laborers "massa". Just wish you didn't require the government's help keeping them fed and warm at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 04:40 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,731,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier of FORTRAN View Post
But you can't compartmentalize many of the benefits of unionization to union members, e.g. improved working conditions. RTW is still a pretty reliable way of cranking up the free rider problem.
I just looked up free rider and found this:

In a labor union, free riding occurs if an employee pays no union dues or agency shop fees, but benefits from union representation.

Great term!

Benefiting from union representation without paying for the representation.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:26 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
"The percentage of workers belonging to a union (or "density") in the United States peaked in 1954 at almost 35%"

and is now 6% private sector. Yes, they must be doing something right. (sar)

source: Labor unions in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-08-2013, 04:38 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
"The percentage of workers belonging to a union (or "density") in the United States peaked in 1954 at almost 35%"

and is now 6% private sector. Yes, they must be doing something right. (sar)

source: Labor unions in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's largely because the sector of the economy that was most heavily unionized in the 1950s was manufacturing. The share of manufacturing jobs in the economy has been declining because of outsourcing, increased use of technology, and RTW laws, which has resulted in a decline in the number of private sector union jobs.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:19 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Are you that insecure about your ability that you think that without union support your labor isn't valued?

I am glad that I was instilled with the self confidence of knowing that I don't need someone to negotiate my worth for me.

It's not about insecurity or self confidence.....seriously, are you kidding. It's about being paid what you are worth and not being taken advantage of. You may have a big voice but a lot don't. So how's your health insurance btw How was your voice in that discussion

Old 04-25-2016, 08:02 AM

2,657 posts, read 1,374,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
We have had decades of government turning their back on illegal immigration to the point that we are full of low skilled workers willing to work for low wages.

Blame government inefficiency, not business.
Don't blame business, blame government? Seriously? Blame falls squarely on the shoulders if business. Business provides the jobs that are the lure for illegal immigration. And it pressures government to be lax on enforcement. Start arresting execs of companies, including those of the Fortune 500 variety, that hire illegals or allow contractors to and our illegal immigration issues will get fixed so fast your head will spin.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:07 AM

2,657 posts, read 1,374,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
If I were a business man, I would be building plants in the areas with the highest concentration of $8-$10/hr workers as well. If I were a skilled worker who could count without the aid of fingers and toes, I would either move north, or stay there. Regardless if RTW offers the right to choose, it's pretty clear that RTW states almost always offer lower wages for comparable positions.

Sorry, but around these parts, we like our living wages. RTW simply translates into RTW - for less. If companies got rid of the silly bonuses and outrageous perks for various white collar staff, there would be plenty left over to sell products at an affordable price while paying every work at least a living wage. The south is simply trying to emulate the plantation social structure. Enjoy your slave wage laborers "massa". Just wish you didn't require the government's help keeping them fed and warm at night.
The South has always been characterized by exploitation of it's lower classes...dating back to colonial times. RTW is just the latest tactic for doing that.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:11 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
The South has always been characterized by exploitation of it's lower classes...dating back to colonial times. RTW is just the latest tactic for doing that.
You would think that after a hundred years or so of being treated like slaves they would have learned something wouldn't you?

"Stupid" get's passed down generationally I guess.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:14 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale
Are you that insecure about your ability that you think that without union support your labor isn't valued?

I am glad that I was instilled with the self confidence of knowing that I don't need someone to negotiate my worth for me.
That's like a serial killers saying "stop me before I kill again -- and if you don't, the deaths are on you."

On the topic itself, we have over a century of history to see the effect of unions on wages. Before unions, employers held wages low and there was little that workers could do about it without being organized. Then, workers organized and forced wages higher. In recent decades, we see that because of the lower levels of union members, wages have either stagnated or fell.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
considering the effects on wages of internationalization on wages and benefits it is apparent to me that we need to organize the rest of the workers in this country and in the rest of the world. We need the ONE BIG UNION! We need the INTERNATIONAL WORKERS OF THE WORLD! We need it NOW!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies