Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 02:49 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Christianity and the Murder Rate

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...m-and-religion

I'm on my phone so excuse the lack of a works cited page.

Add to the fact that America is vastly Christian, and the incarceration rate for Christians is much higher than Muslims or atheists, and it's a pretty clear conclusion.

I'd love to see facts proving otherwise.
Yeah, that first link seems kind of whacky to me. The second one is unconvincing.
The fact the America is vastly Christian seems only to do with numbers, i.e. there are more of them, so that doesn't equate to a clear conclusion at all.

I just did a cursory search on Christian terrorism in the U.S. A lot of religious based sites, and liberal sites that defend Islam is about all I could come up with this quick. So I'll do some research. I think the jury is still out on this issue, though.

BTW, not a Christian, although I was brought up as one. Religion just doesn't float my boat, although I'm interested in it from a secular point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 03:46 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Just wondering why so many liberals hate socially conservative Christians. Yet at the same time don't feel the same way towards Muslims,who want to murder gays and believe we should follow Sharia law.
If you are trying to make a case for your argument you might want to rethink your strategy a bit.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:59 PM

353 posts, read 395,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
And talk about a war on women! I think the mullahs give instructions on how to beat wives without bruises and other marks showing.
Actually, Islam doesn't condone beating women at all. There are however certain Arab cultures that do condone beating women, therefore, people tend to believe it's the Islamic faith and not the specific group culture.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:04 PM

353 posts, read 395,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Actually, there's a big variety of beliefs about gay marriage within Christian denominations, ranging from ordaining gay ministers and marrying gay couples to believing that they're all going to burn in hell. Christianity isn't one unified group on lots of issues, and it never has been. Sometimes I think the only thing we all have in common is Jesus, and even then there seems to be a big difference between groups on how his gospel is interpreted and lived.
I agree there are certainly different denominations, but overwhelmingly most Christians believe that homosexuality, adultery, fornication, murder, etc are grave sins.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:08 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Do you honestly think that New York is 100% liberal?
New York is the largest conservative city in the country. Find another city with more Romney voters! The percentage might be small within the city, but it being the largest city makes for many Republicans.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:54 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary20852 View Post
Actually, Islam doesn't condone beating women at all.
Uuhhh... you need to brush up on your Qur'an there, Mary.

Surat An-Nisā' 4:34

Quote:
Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great.

Shakir Translation

Old 04-30-2013, 05:55 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary20852 View Post
homosexuality, adultery, fornication, murder, etc are grave sins.
One of these things seems a tad out of place, ya think?

Old 04-30-2013, 05:57 PM

37,181 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Just wondering why so many liberals hate socially conservative Christians. Yet at the same time don't feel the same way towards Muslims,who want to murder gays and believe we should follow Sharia law.
Don't look now, but those two fundie groups are entirely interchangeable, and have the same goals...

Old 04-30-2013, 06:03 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
They share the same vision. A world without Christians and Capitalism. That's all there is to it.
Translated.it will become a poor hell on earth.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:55 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
New York is the largest conservative city in the country. Find another city with more Romney voters! The percentage might be small within the city, but it being the largest city makes for many Republicans.
New York is the largest liberal city too because it is the largest city in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies