Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 10:10 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
That is why I get indignant about this. My personal feeling is that some people want Blacks out of NYC, or look at Black people as an unwanted people. It is disturbing to me, as a Black man who lives in this nation.
I would say there are probably some developers who would like to have blacks out of Manhattan because they can turn Harlem in a minute to "Upper Midtown". I don't think that would apply to BedStuy or the Bronx though. And I doubt they would use the cops to accomplish that when it is much easier to use other methods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 10:12 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
Appalling. The NYPD made the same amount of seizures stopping only 435,000 white people as they did stopping 2.3 Million black people in the in the same 8 years. Stop and frisk is obviously a way of harassing people of color in NYC.
I think it's more a way to stop crime before it happens, and it appears to be working very well. NYC is the safest it's ever been.

Perhaps Chicago should implement s&f then maybe so many yutes wouldn't be shot and killed every day.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:59 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
I did not follow that thread and I am not aware of how the Boston police reacted after the bombing. but that was a totally different circumstance. there was an emergency and the bombing suspects were still at large.
So when there's a suspect at large one has no rights then? Got it.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:05 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I think it's more a way to stop crime before it happens, and it appears to be working very well. NYC is the safest it's ever been.

Perhaps Chicago should implement s&f then maybe so many yutes wouldn't be shot and killed every day.
Actually, this is the way I see it. I am a law-abiding citizen. I have also been a crime victim. If a police officer were to randomly stop and frisk me, without have a good reason, I am going to have a problem. It violates my rights. If I haven't proven myself personally to be a threat, then I should not be subjected to search and seizure. The method you are suggest might suggest that you are for violating certain rights.

What is ironic is that some of the very people who favor stop and frisk are very pro-gun rights.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:05 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
And how many we're guilty?

Old 05-01-2013, 11:11 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I would think that stopping and friskig has to be under reasonable suspicion long estblished in court rulings and of course the established right to police safety in fisking those stopped for weapons. Now most times drugs are not revealed by a frisk and that requires a search then based on probable cause. Right to frisk for safety long established does not allow a search unless probable cause is established.Probale cause is the same as that which would cause a judge to issue a serch warrnt but of course that is not avilable in s stop ebcause of the nature.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:28 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I would think that stopping and friskig has to be under reasonable suspicion long estblished in court rulings and of course the established right to police safety in fisking those stopped for weapons. Now most times drugs are not revealed by a frisk and that requires a search then based on probable cause. Right to frisk for safety long established does not allow a search unless probable cause is established.Probale cause is the same as that which would cause a judge to issue a serch warrnt but of course that is not avilable in s stop ebcause of the nature.
There has to be probable cause. However, there are many who view being Black as a probable cause, and the argument being used is "well, Blacks commit most of the crimes". I look at it is "if this individual has not presented himself as a probable threat, then said person should not be searched".

Old 05-01-2013, 11:48 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,044,731 times
Its Bloomberg's city and everyone else is just living in it.

This is the same Bloomberg that literally bribed his way into a 3rd term in a 2 term city.

Watch out Chicago, cause quite a few of your neighbors owes Bloomie a favor or two.

"New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg won a major fight in his push to pass gun-control legislation on Tuesday as the candidate that his super PAC endorsed won the Democratic special election primary to replace disgraced former Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. in Illinois' 2nd congressional district.

Independence USA PAC spent more than $2.2 million in the race, likely more than all the candidates spent combined."

Old 05-01-2013, 12:23 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I never knew that about Giuliani. I knew he was tough on crime, but that was as far as I knew.
Yep. This only lightly touches on the criticisms of Giuliani but is worth the read. NYers were fed up with the crime etc. and he won elections on that topic.

Rudy Giuliani - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Amadou Diallo - gunned down pre 9-11....firestorm of protest.

Quote:
Those arrested in the daily protests at the entrance of One Police Plaza included former NYPD officers, former mayor David Dinkins, Congressmen Charlie Rangel and Gregory Meeks, Rev. Al Sharpton, Rev. Jesse Jackson, New York State Assemblyman Ruben Diaz Jr., activist actress Susan Sarandon, more than a dozen rabbis and other clergy, and numerous federal, state, and local politicians
Amadou Diallo shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sean Bell - gunned down during bloomberg era....VASTLY less protest and no cries of "facist" etc. like were directed at Giuliani.
Sean Bell shooting incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All of the detectives involved in shooting Bell....acquitted...again no firestorm of protest like for Diallo. (Sharpton lead one)

Why?

Note the political affiliation of the Diallo protestors....they must have been busy after bell got killed. (I tip my hat to Sharpton for being consistent)

Last edited by Mathguy; 05-01-2013 at 12:33 PM..

Old 05-01-2013, 12:27 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Would you say more blacks a searched just because they are targeted because they are black ? Whites are searched because they are suspicious I would say.

Therfore it makes sense that they would find more on whites. It doesn't mean that were more dangerous or break the law more, it meana that violating a races rights by targeting them probably doesn't work.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies