Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 09:27 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,269,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slasher11 View Post

You're a sick, arrogant, multi-culturalist bent on ethnic and cultural genocide and karma will rear its ugly head one day and strike you down.
Wow Marc, I guess he told you, huh? Bet you're crushed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 09:30 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,237,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose532 View Post
This post is very stereotypical. My family believes highly in education. I have travelled all over the world. I am not sure why you believe that I am from a regressive culture? I do not think it is regressive, but rather a good thing to respect one's husband and to value his opinion and for him to show respect and kindness towards his wife. Also, I do not think it is regressive, but rather a good thing for women to show modesty with clothing and such.
That is YOU. Other people may feel differently, and THEY get to choose how to live their lives.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:30 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,928,043 times
Quote:
This post is very stereotypical. My family believes highly in education. I have travelled all over the world. I am not sure why you believe that I am from a regressive culture? I do not think it is regressive, but rather a good thing to respect one's husband and to value his opinion and for him to show respect and kindness towards his wife. Also, I do not think it is regressive, but rather a good thing for women to show modesty with clothing and such.
I know many women who agree with you. I had a friend who was very proud that her parents, in their 40 years of marriage, had never had an argument. Because her parents believed that it was a good thing to respect the husband, to value his opinion, to empower him to make all the decisions. He showed respect and kindness towards his wife by treating her as a child, who couldn't handle money, who needed to be protected, who needed to be guided. This was a part of their religion, fundamentalist Baptists.

If, as a woman, you are happy and satisfied with this kind of life, then you should absolutely be free to live such a life. But others around the world do think it is regressive, because it relegates women to second-class status. They aren't treated as adults, because the ability to make adult decisions is taken away from them. I don't believe that my judgment is less than a man's judgment simply because I have a uterus.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slasher11 View Post
Wrong. Countries with economic prosperity will always feature diversity.

Your sick utopia that you've drug western society into since world war 2 has rotted the west from the inside out and the economy which draws people to it is failing.

Maybe one day soon the west will fall just as Rome did and the diversity (code for ethnic and cultural genocide) that it features will cease to exist as people flock to the new land of genocide. Asia. Or China to be more exact.

But the Chinese are smarter than the knuckle dragging baboons of the west. They won't adhere to the self destructive ideas conceived by the weak, moron that is the western man that you identify yourself as being.

The western world will fall just as all great empires do. And I look forward to that day.
You do realize that China is actually very ethnically diverse, and that it is having to deal with the problems of discrimination in the same way that the United States has done?

Old 05-01-2013, 09:33 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,649,036 times
Quote:

I don't think it is regressive to respect my Husband nor to value his opinion as long as we are on equal footing. I simply cannot understand how a man who respects ( and trusts) his Wife would expect Her to dress a certain way. I am an individual and my Husband should have chosen me for who I am not who my culture or He expects me to be.

I dress modestly but it is my choice. I can tell you that if Hubby suddenly started to tell me I should wear something longer or more covering (or in fact shorter and less covering) he would have to be prepared for quite a tongue-lashing from me and a very cold sofa to sleep on...

The point is that trust and respect go hand in hand. Without trust there is no relationship IMO.

I appreciate the cultural differences but I do think you are selling yourself and other women short personally. Real men welcome strong independent women. And no I do not mean harridans who rule the roost. I mean women who can stand up to them, women who will share the responsibilities of the household and are their intellectual and social equals.

We have plenty of cavemen in the West too. Believe me it has taken a long time to get to a bit more sex equality but the struggle is not yet over. Like Democracy it takes a long time to get there. Men will not happily relinquish their power and patriarchal attitudes and sometimes you have to take that power back.

A woman's will does not have to be subjugated and I would disagree with you that is is easier for a woman to bend. Women are not physically as strong but mentally and intellectually we are not any weaker than the men.

What you mean is that in your culture, men have always had the upper hand and women have somehow allowed them to. As women in the West did until a hundred years or less.

But at some point all women will realise that we are stronger together than when we are dismissed as being the homekeepers and Mothers.

We have more to offer and any man worth his salt will proudly take his place at the same level as his wife.... Not feeling diminished or challenged but strengthened and supported.

I certainly hope that as a woman I am more than a cook, cleaner, womb or general housekeeper....

Old 05-01-2013, 09:37 AM

138 posts, read 155,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Yes, but do you believe a woman is her husband's equal? Do you believe a wife should have her own opinions, and if they differ from her husband's, she should act on her own beliefs even if they go against his? If not, then yes, you are living in a regressive culture, no matter how "kind" a husband deigns to be to his wife.
I do not believe men and women are equal. I believe men and women have distinct roles, one is not better than the other, but there are clear differences. It is human nature to have your own opinion, but someone has to make the final decision, especially in regards to very important family matters. Who should that person be? In my family it is my husband. Does this mean that I am controlled, no. It means that I see my husband as the guardian. I am sorry if this is not communicated well. I know this topic can be controversial because Western women believe there are no differences between men and women.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:46 AM

138 posts, read 155,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I don't think it is regressive to respect my Husband nor to value his opinion as long as we are on equal footing. I simply cannot understand how a man who respects ( and trusts) his Wife would expect Her to dress a certain way. I am an individual and my Husband should have chosen me for who I am not who my culture or He expects me to be.

I dress modestly but it is my choice. I can tell you that if Hubby suddenly started to tell me I should wear something longer or more covering (or in fact shorter and less covering) he would have to be prepared for quite a tongue-lashing from me and a very cold sofa to sleep on...

The point is that trust and respect go hand in hand. Without trust there is no relationship IMO.

I appreciate the cultural differences but I do think you are selling yourself and other women short personally. Real men welcome strong independent women. And no I do not mean harridans who rule the roost. I mean women who can stand up to them, women who will share the responsibilities of the household and are their intellectual and social equals.

We have plenty of cavemen in the West too. Believe me it has taken a long time to get to a bit more sex equality but the struggle is not yet over. Like Democracy it takes a long time to get there. Men will not happily relinquish their power and patriarchal attitudes and sometimes you have to take that power back.

A woman's will does not have to be subjugated and I would disagree with you that is is easier for a woman to bend. Women are not physically as strong but mentally and intellectually we are not any weaker than the men.

What you mean is that in your culture, men have always had the upper hand and women have somehow allowed them to. As women in the West did until a hundred years or less.

But at some point all women will realise that we are stronger together than when we are dismissed as being the homekeepers and Mothers.

We have more to offer and any man worth his salt will proudly take his place at the same level as his wife.... Not feeling diminished or challenged but strengthened and supported.

I certainly hope that as a woman I am more than a cook, cleaner, womb or general housekeeper....
There is so much that I wish to communicate, but I fear that you may not understand. I do not wish to offend but it is a different culture, you do not understand things from your prism. It is not a matter of equality, it is a matter of recognising the different roles occupied by men and women. Why do you view mothers and homekeepers as less worthy? Please think about your words.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:46 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,780,555 times
I flew half way around the planet to find the love of my life. My happiness is more important than what the cultural impact maybe on my children. As it turns out having two distinct cultures for my children to discover is an opportunity and learning experience.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I do not believe men and women are equal. I believe men and women have distinct roles, one is not better than the other, but there are clear differences. It is human nature to have your own opinion, but someone has to make the final decision, especially in regards to very important family matters. Who should that person be? In my family it is my husband. Does this mean that I am controlled, no. It means that I see my husband as the guardian. I am sorry if this is not communicated well. I know this topic can be controversial because Western women believe there are no differences between men and women.
I think that Western women understand that there are benefits and there are costs to every kind of relationship. In the West, women can choose the kind of marriage where their husband is the guardian. There are many such marriages. And clearly you understand the benefits of such a marriage, where the woman doesn't have the stress of being the decision-maker. She can put her energies to other things besides worrying about the family's finances and other important considerations. But it comes at a cost, too. Because it requires that the woman joins with her husband in assuming that she is not capable of making such decisions, that she is not as intelligent or shrewd or thoughtful as her husband.

To have a marriage where the husband isn't the guardian makes the assumption that both the husband and the wife are equally able to assume these burdens, of dealing with the outside world. It demands that a woman understand that outside world, understand the obligations that she and her husband are accepting when they enter into contracts and do business with that outside world. It creates more stress on the woman, takes her away from the house and the children, which are costs. But it allows her an autonomy as well, that can help her fulfill all of her potential, that let her pursue her individual interests. What she offers her husband and children in this relationship is a more complete person, someone who is more fully expressed as an individual. And that is a benefit.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:52 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,269,460 times
Quote:
There is so much that I wish to communicate, but I fear that you may not understand. I do not wish to offend but it is a different culture, you do not understand things from your prism. It is not a matter of equality, it is a matter of recognising the different roles occupied by men and women. Why do you view mothers and homekeepers as less worthy? Please think about your words.
We don't view mothers and homemakers as less worthy. And we do recognize that people have different roles. In our culture, roles are not defined by genitalia.

Further, in our culture we (finally) recognize that all roles are equal. No role is subservient to another. We like to work together in our relationships. It is not necessary to for one person to control another to recognize different roles in those relationships.

You actually seem to know exactly how we in the US view interracial relationships. Why are you asking this question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies