Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 09:54 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose532 View Post
There is so much that I wish to communicate, but I fear that you may not understand. I do not wish to offend but it is a different culture, you do not understand things from your prism. It is not a matter of equality, it is a matter of recognising the different roles occupied by men and women. Why do you view mothers and homekeepers as less worthy? Please think about your words.

There is no question that men and women are different, and also by nature have different roles. However; that doesn't mean that I consider my wife more inferior than me. Nor would I treat her as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 09:54 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
These are all excellent questions. I am a white American man married to a Japanese woman and we have two children. I don't see my own family as especially noble or furthering social progress. I am happy that society is tolerant enough to accept us, even here in Japan, and that my children have the advantage of being bilingual and able to function well in either society. But I don't look forward to some future where there are no meaningful distinctions between American and Japanese people.
hey, I know a guy like you. he is/was in the navy when we were in Yokosuka. he's from west Va and married a Japanese girl and took on Japanese culture full on. I think it's kind of cool, but in reality, culturally, his kids really are Japanese with a white father.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:56 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
There is so much that I wish to communicate, but I fear that you may not understand. I do not wish to offend but it is a different culture, you do not understand things from your prism. It is not a matter of equality, it is a matter of recognising the different roles occupied by men and women. Why do you view mothers and homekeepers as less worthy? Please think about your words.
It's not that mothers and homekeepers are less worthy. It's that those roles are only one dimension in a woman's life. A woman isn't just a mother. A woman isn't just a homekeeper. A woman reads books and has interests and hobbies, she has dreams and goals and aspirations. To limit her ability to achieve her goals by confining her to just two primary roles in a society doesn't just cheat the woman, it cheats the society as well. Women can be great writers, great scientists, great rulers. But if they are taught that these roles are beyond them, that they aren't capable, then we all lose out on greatness that goes unfulfilled.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:02 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite_limit View Post
The kids will look neither like the mother or the father

The parents won't be able to share their experiences growing up in their cultures because they never faced the same issues as a brown individual. The kids will get a mixture of black and white culture but ultimately neither.

IMO, it's just a watering down of cultures. Our differences make us special. Why would everyone want to be the same short, brown asian with dark features?

American media likes to spread the mentality that mixed race is superior. That one isn't enough and adding another is always better (typical mass consumption mindset). This is the mentality of people that are lost and seeking somewhere to belong. American culture as a whole is like the Buffet. You get a little taste of everything but at the end of the day it's just a watered down version of everything else in the World.
no, I've had too many biracial friends to buy into this. my black and Filipino friends have retained much of both cultures and are just as much Filipino as they are black. the reason white/black mixed people in this country seem to not retain either culture is because black and white Americans are part of the same culture. there is no way to be black or white in this country, but people don't understand this and let the color of their skin dictate how they are supposed to act. don't tell me that a regular working class white man in KY has anything in common with a Kennedy who grew up wealthy in a totally different world. In America, there really is just class and skin color, there is no white culture or black culture, just American culture.

as far as the Sudanese woman, if she lives in Australia then here kids were not going to get the full effects of Sudanese culture even if she married another person from Sudan. look at the children of African immigrants here in the US.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:04 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
Quote:
What about the role of ethnicity, traditions and customs, won't this be lost?
Their traditions/customs from both parents can still be taught. It's not like they would be slaves and all of it was stripped from them.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:11 AM

252 posts, read 258,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
The answer is simple. Race is an irrelevant characteristic. It means nothing. You have no intrinsic value based on your race. Your race is not a good thing or a bad thing.

Therefore, a society can be viewed as more enlightened and rational to the degree that it discounts race as a criteria in social interactions. Backward countries dwell on race and keeping others at a distance. Forward countries stop caring about race as time goes on so that interracial marriage becomes as meaningless as race itself.

One of the reasons America is the best country in the world is it has broken away from backward ideas of tradition and culture where people hide in the perceived safety of collectivism.

To the degree that a country ignores race in social relationships, it demonstrates Reason. To the degree that it remains insular and fears racial mixing, it demonstrates Mysticism.

Also, what people vote on is not related to what is rational and right. If a society votes to ban interracial marriage, they are an objectively wrong and backward society that has chosen darkness (anti-reason). The Islamic societies of the Middle East are a good example of those that purposely choose darkness, fear, collectivism, and irrationality.
Stopped reading at "why America is the best country in the world"

You need to get yourself a passport

Old 05-01-2013, 10:18 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite_limit View Post
Stopped reading at "why America is the best country in the world"

You need to get yourself a passport
I'm pretty sure you didn't.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:20 AM

252 posts, read 258,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I'm pretty sure you didn't.
USA isn't even the best nation on its own continent.

Laughable nationalism

Old 05-01-2013, 10:21 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
I do not believe men and women are equal. I believe men and women have distinct roles, one is not better than the other, but there are clear differences. It is human nature to have your own opinion, but someone has to make the final decision, especially in regards to very important family matters. Who should that person be? In my family it is my husband. Does this mean that I am controlled, no. It means that I see my husband as the guardian. I am sorry if this is not communicated well. I know this topic can be controversial because Western women believe there are no differences between men and women.
The beauty of America is one may choose their role freely. Many women will accept their husband's role as dominant. Others will not. But all may live as they wish without condemnation or disapproval from the "ethnic herd".

Old 05-01-2013, 10:22 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,475,445 times
Quote:
I do not believe men and women are equal. I believe men and women have distinct roles, one is not better than the other, but there are clear differences. It is human nature to have your own opinion, but someone has to make the final decision, especially in regards to very important family matters. Who should that person be? In my family it is my husband. Does this mean that I am controlled, no. It means that I see my husband as the guardian. I am sorry if this is not communicated well. I know this topic can be controversial because Western women believe there are no differences between men and women.
I can only assume that you would be on board if he decides to start bedding another woman. You know, important family decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies