Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 06:36 PM

138 posts, read 154,659 times

Advertisements

Why are Interracial Relationships viewed as social progression and a positive thing in the U.S. and in other Western Nations? In my home country, it's important for people to marry within their ethnic group and definitely within the same race. Although there is no crime for marrying another person of a different race, it's just not thought of as social progression or something noble and great.

Why do people see interracial relationships as a step in the right direction? Is it not a good thing for people to maintain their culture, heritage, customs and language? I watched the below video and I like the couple, but she is Sudanese and he is Australian. They are so different culturally. Their children will not have any traditional Sudanese values and will not look like either of them. Can someone please explain why this is a good thing?

I apologize if some may be offended, this is not intended to offend. I am just trying to understand the Western culture and customs better.

Truth Or Dare couple challenge - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 06:40 PM

Is it not better to just marry people that are from your race and background? I don't understand.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:49 PM

Another thing, many Western nations seem to create refugees with all of the wars. Would the Sudanese girl be in the West or in Sudan, without all of the wars?

I am hoping for good dialogue.

Last edited by Rose532; 04-30-2013 at 06:57 PM..

Old 04-30-2013, 07:05 PM

353 posts, read 395,341 times
If the interracial relationship is consensual, I do not see a problem.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary20852 View Post
If the interracial relationship is consensual, I do not see a problem.
What about the role of ethnicity, traditions and customs, won't this be lost?

Old 04-30-2013, 07:09 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
It's neither a "good" thing nor a "bad" thing, to most of us - it's just a thing. If you limit yourself to people within your own culture, especially if you happen to be of a minority (like myself), it simply doesn't leave you with enough choices in dating. I've actually been to your home country, and know from my observations there is less diversity in Turkey vs USA. So of course it's easier to find somebody of like culture/background, which isn't always the case here. I personally choose my partners based on their personality etc, and couldn't care less if they happen to have a different skin color or heritage. Why should that matter? And why can't a child have TWO (or more) cultures to celebrate and represent?

I don't see why this is a problem, unless somebody is forcing you to date outside of your race.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:11 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,733 times
It's considered progressive because it means that young people looking for love aren't confining themselves to their own ethnic and religious groups. It's progressive because they able to connect with and love someone from a different culture. So they're not picking someone just because they happen to share the same skin color or religious background.

The couple can share both of their cultural heritages with their children. As for the children looking like them, I'm not sure why that matters.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:11 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose532 View Post
Why would it be lost? You can raise children with a multicultural heritage, celebrating ALL aspects of their backgrounds. Ask any American of their heritage, and you'll almost always get an answer like "I'm Irish, Italian, French, with both Jewish and Catholic beliefs on either side" - or something along those lines. Are those individual identities lost, simply because they are shared with others? I don't think so.

My niece & nephew have a Slavic-Jewish mother, and an Irish/English-"Christian" father... they know what they are, celebrate a variety of holidays and traditions, and visually look like a little of each. They don't seem to have a problem with that, and certainly haven't lost either of their cultural sides.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:13 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,733 times
Quote:
All couples choose the traditions, customs and values they want to pass down to their children. These may or may not exactly match those of the ethnic group they belong to. When you create a new family, you get to choose your own traditions.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:13 PM

445 posts, read 864,689 times
Quote:
Why are Interracial Relationships viewed as social progression and a positive thing in the U.S. and in other Western Nations? In my home country, it's important for people to marry within their ethnic group and definitely within the same race. Although there is no crime for marrying another person of a different race, it's just not thought of as social progression or something noble and great.

Why do people see interracial relationships as a step in the right direction? Is it not a good thing for people to maintain their culture, heritage, customs and language? I watched the below video and I like the couple, but she is Sudanese and he is Australian. They are so different culturally. Their children will not have any traditional Sudanese values and will not look like either of them. Can someone please explain why this is a good thing?

I apologize if some may be offended, this is not intended to offend. I am just trying to understand the Western culture and customs better.

Truth Or Dare couple challenge - YouTube
What do you like about them that's so easily diminished because they are of different ethnic backgrounds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies