Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 06:12 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have always been RGIII fans, as he is the type of athlete that kids should aspire to- intelligent with great academics and humility.

In a recent call by the left to abandon the "Redskins" team name, RGIII has brought up "tyranny of political correctness" and how it compels people to make decisions through fear.

RGIII: Americans ‘Held Hostage By The Tyranny Of Political Correctness’ « CBS DC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 06:31 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
My wife and I have always been RGIII fans, as he is the type of athlete that kids should aspire to- intelligent with great academics and humility.

In a recent call by the left to abandon the "Redskins" team name, RGIII has brought up "tyranny of political correctness" and how it compels people to make decisions through fear.

RGIII: Americans ‘Held Hostage By The Tyranny Of Political Correctness’ « CBS DC

I am a conservative and I think the name "redskin" is offensive.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:37 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post

Lighten up

Read "Farenheit 451" when Montague asks the librarian how things started to unravel.

I am "offended" by very little. The US has become so prissy and easily "offended" that it encourges people to wear thier emotions on their shirt sleeves and conditions them to whine.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:28 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,545,487 times
Quote:

RG3 better be careful...

Toe the line or pay the price.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:36 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
I am offended by people who are offended.

i offend myself?

Old 05-01-2013, 08:50 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
grow some skin. RGlll is right, we are being pounded by the policitally correct crowd to the point where everything is offensive. dont like the color red? call it something else. dont like being called fat? call your self calorically challenged. dont like beign called short, now you are vertically challenged. and while i agree that there are parts of our language that can be softened, there is a point where everyone becomes a victim, and it needs to stop.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:53 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
I might support the effort to change the Redskins name IF... sports guys STOP wearing pink shoes. I realize the difference as well as the meaning or intent of each but I am so offended by the color pink that I'll just stop watching a game and go about my real life instead.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:55 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I am offended by people who are offended.

i offend myself?

That's offensive.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:02 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,305 times
Quote:

Political correctness is about people not being able to have reasonable discussions about not really controversial issues because somebody might interpret it to be offensive.

Political correctness is not about defending actually racist terms. Potatoes aside, the "Redskins" have no interest in honoring Native American heritage and a lot of people find the term offensive.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:42 AM

1,137 posts, read 971,847 times
Quote:
Perhaps you should get out more.

Words are simply that...just a word. People who are offended by words and attach some sort of symbolism to them tend to have more serious mental issues that they should be focusing on.

Weak minds are something we would all be better off without.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies