Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 02:13 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,260,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
And just think, in a few years Venezuala, like Cuba, can be a market for European tourists to indulge in the sex trade with an underage female for $2 a night.
Not with the oil reserves they've got.

Chavez is just an oil sheikh with a bad shirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 02:16 PM

13,378 posts, read 28,633,742 times
Quote:
And just think, in a few years Venezuala, like Cuba, can be a market for European tourists to indulge in the sex trade with an underage female for $2 a night.

If not already!!

Old 11-01-2007, 02:21 PM

13,378 posts, read 28,633,742 times
And lets not forget the celebraties..Belafonte, Naomi Campbell now has jumped on the bandwagon a few others

What do you want to bet they were well shielded from seeing the slums in Caracas??
Do you think they got a tour??

Old 11-01-2007, 02:27 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,157,625 times
Quote:
If they try real hard they can match the illegal sex trade of Israel.

Israel's Sex Trade Escalating, 3,000-5,000 Women Smuggled Into Country In Last Four Years - CBS News
Israel Sex (http://www.israelnewsagency.com/sexisrael69690531.html - broken link)
Israel's sex trade | www.somethingjewish.co.uk
BBC News | MIDDLE EAST | Israeli sex trade under fire
TABLE OF CONTENTS (http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:JCd-eo1NpY8J:web.amnesty.org/aidoc/aidoc_pdf.nsf/Index/MDE150172000ENGLISH/%24File/MDE1501700.pdf+israeli+sex+trade&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd= 8&gl=us - broken link)

One could go on for hours adding links to this...

Old 11-01-2007, 02:27 PM

2,971 posts, read 2,248,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
And lets not forget the celebraties..Belafonte, Naomi Campbell now has jumped on the bandwagon a few others

Yes, who else? Let's see Sean Penn. Any other highly educated, high-minded celebrity thinkers?

Old 11-01-2007, 02:28 PM

3,080 posts, read 11,039,801 times
Today's events have totally reversed my opinion of Hugo Chavez. Until today, I was of a somewhat favorable opinion of him and his administration, but I did have questions about his curtailment of free speech.

Still, I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt when he talked about biased news corporations.

But today:
- Supermodel Naomi Campbell met with and praised Chavez. Not a nobel prize winner. Not a political scientist. Not a head of state. Not someone renoun for their intelligence or awareness. Rather, someone who's fame is predicated solely on skin-deep external appearances and popularity based on looking pretty.
- Tens of thousands of student protestors were gassed, firehosed, and shot with rubber bullets while rallying against constitutional reforms that would allow Chavez to remain in power indefinitely.

Something is very rotten here. Where is the independant press? What's really going on in Venezuala?

Old 11-01-2007, 02:43 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,157,625 times
Quote:

What do you want to bet they were well shielded from seeing the slums in Caracas??
Back when I lived there, during the reign of Carlos Perez, Los Barios was even worse than it is today. Venezuela was ran by a group of lily white oligarchs who treated their citizens in the most brutal of fashions. However since Perez was kissing the backside of Washington, he was given a pass on his human rights transgressions.

As I have previously stated, Chavez is no ray of sunshine but he has been elected three times by the poorest people in his country. They even managed to save him from a coup attempt by the military which it is still speculated at what level of US involvement there was.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:06 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,260,371 times
Hitler was elected by huge majorities, also.

I know many Venezuelans. Some here in the US, some who have returned to Venezuela.

To a person, they loathe Chavez. He has destroed their country's basic civil liberties, strangled free speech and the media, and eliminated his oppostion through threats, blackmail, and bribery.

He is a textbook bully and megalomaniac who is headed for ruin. Unfortunately, his people will be forced to suffer for his abuses for many years to come.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:30 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,989,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
And thank goodness I could never be a democratic with my hand stretched out saying what can the government do for me. Take care of me. . .
Save me from the tarrists, the quairs n the alayguls.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:41 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,147,945 times
Quote:

Guess what...you don't have to go thousands of miles away to see slums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies