Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 10:14 AM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
You'd have to take the entire box of Midol to damage yourself...you couldn't "OD" the student body on something that is essentially ibuprofen and a diuretic in the same pill. Nice try though.

Personally I think the rules against bringing OTC painkillers to school is dumb. A lot of zero tolerance rules are dumb.

However, this kid clearly knew what the rules were and he broke them. Whether he had malicious intentions or not is irrelevant. It is irresponsible stewardship of a firearm to do what he did. I think the punishment is somewhat harsh, but again...he knew what the rules were. It's time for him to grow up and be a man. If you're going to carry guns around in your car like a big boy, you have to be able to take your big boy medicine.
You get it. Zero tolerance rules are dumb. They really are.

And I'm a flaming liberal - so it's got nothing to do with loving guns and everything to do with looking at situations and treating them on their individual merit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 10:15 AM

39,857 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
You'd have to take the entire box of Midol to damage yourself...you couldn't "OD" the student body on something that is essentially ibuprofen and a diuretic in the same pill. Nice try though.

Personally I think the rules against bringing OTC painkillers to school is dumb. A lot of zero tolerance rules are dumb.

However, this kid clearly knew what the rules were and he broke them. Whether he had malicious intentions or not is irrelevant. It is irresponsible stewardship of a firearm to do what he did. I think the punishment is somewhat harsh, but again...he knew what the rules were. It's time for him to grow up and be a man. If you're going to carry guns around in your car like a big boy, you have to be able to take your big boy medicine.

If I was this kid's mother, I'd make sure to take his shotgun away as punishment until he can demonstrate that he can be responsible with it.

The principle is the same in both cases...the person involved broke "zero tolerance" rules. No intent is involved either way and neither placed anyone in any danger. There is no "irresponsible stewardship" to have a firearm locked in the trunk of a car. It's no less secure than when locked in a house. Now, if he had it visible in a gun rack in the back of a pickup truck, I might agree with you, when it can be readily stolen by breaking a window.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:17 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The principle is the same in both cases...the person involved broke "zero tolerance" rules. No intent is involved either way and neither placed anyone in any danger. There is no "irresponsible stewardship" to have a firearm locked in the trunk of a car. It's no less secure than when locked in a house. Now, if he had it visible in a gun rack in the back of a pickup truck, I might agree with you.
We'll have to agree to disagree.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:19 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
That's hardly a legitimate comparison. You can't shoot up a school with Midol.
Zero tolerance is zero tolerance, right?

So how about a knife?

This nation is retarded. When someone cant have an aspirin in school, (or a gun in their car), but kids can self prescribe themself the morning after pill..

Old 05-02-2013, 10:26 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Poor guy. In my day, first, it wouldn't have been an issue since 1/4 of the students had shotguns in the back of their car during hunting season. If anything, I'd have ended up talking guns and hunting with the principal, or going hunting with him after school. We had a rifle club with a range in the school basement, where we shot .22 target rifles a couple times a week. And that was in New York state! These "zero tolerance" policies that are supposed to "stop violence" are just idiotic. Here's a clue...the kid that's going to shoot up the school...isn't the one that realizes he made a simple mistake and just wants to correct it and abide by the rules. Administrators want to apply "one size fits all" solutions that require no thinking or judgement.
You have gotten to the crux of the problem, no discretion with these stupid zero tolerance polices that Congress forced on all 50 states, by threatening to withold funding.
Today is a story about a 16 year old science experiment, an accident, and now she's facing a felony and expulsion.
A five year old tells a classmate she'll shoot her with her Hello Kitty gun that blows soap bubbles, and is said to have made a terrorist threat.
Are we insane?

Teen Girl Expelled, Charged With a Felony After Science Experiment Goes Awry

Quote:
Zero-tolerance policies in schools began in 1994 after Congress required states to adopt laws that guaranteed one-year expulsions for students who brought firearms to school. In order for states to receive federal funding, leaders had to adopt these laws. All 50 states did so.

Earlier this year, a 5-year-old Pennsylvania girl was suspended from kindergarten after she told another girl she was going to shoot her with a Hello Kitty toy gun that blows soapy bubbles. School officials told the girl’s parents she made a 'terrorist threat.'
You cannot treat all humans the same, every crime, every person is different. Same applies to the 3 strikes law, and mandatory sentencing. We are unique individuals, not faceless globs of a collective.
The feds have to stop dictating policy to the states, and the states need to start resisting this sort of blackmail on behalf of their citizens.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:34 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
You have gotten to the crux of the problem, no discretion with these stupid zero tolerance polices that Congress forced on all 50 states, by threatening to withold funding.
Today is a story about a 16 year old science experiment, an accident, and now she's facing a felony and expulsion.
A five year old tells a classmate she'll shoot her with her Hello Kitty gun that blows soap bubbles, and is said to have made a terrorist threat.
Are we insane?

Teen Girl Expelled, Charged With a Felony After Science Experiment Goes Awry

You cannot treat all humans the same, every crime, every person is different. Same applies to the 3 strikes law, and mandatory sentencing. We are unique individuals, not faceless globs of a collective.
The feds have to stop dictating policy to the states, and the states need to start resisting this sort of blackmail on behalf of their citizens.

I agree.

It used to be that parents trusted that the principal of the school would keep order and use wise judgment. Heck, it was not uncommon for parents to go by the principal's house to talk about an issue with their child (I doubt my principal enjoyed, during his leisure time, seeing my mother on his doorstep every week or two).

Now, it appears that principals have no leeway. They can only enforce policies set by higher-ups (school boards up to Federal government). I have also long been opposed to the 'three strikes you're out' laws. I feel that judges (usually elected on the state/county level) should 'judge' each case: a strange concept nowadays.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:15 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I agree.

It used to be that parents trusted that the principal of the school would keep order and use wise judgment. Heck, it was not uncommon for parents to go by the principal's house to talk about an issue with their child (I doubt my principal enjoyed, during his leisure time, seeing my mother on his doorstep every week or two).

Now, it appears that principals have no leeway. They can only enforce policies set by higher-ups (school boards up to Federal government). I have also long been opposed to the 'three strikes you're out' laws. I feel that judges (usually elected on the state/county level) should 'judge' each case: a strange concept nowadays.
I agree. This nation is getting crazier and more stupid by the day. Glad I don't have kids. Doubt I could handle the stress.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:18 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
It is YOU who needs to get a clue.

Did he take the gun out of the car?

Did he load it?

Did he wave it around?

Did he "show it off' to his buddies?

Did he make ANY threatening gestures wit it?

He realized it was thee AND CLOSED THE TRUNK. How is that anywhere related to Sandy Hook?

he called his mother to come and get it. How does that relate to Sandy Hook?

Talk about stretching!

Yo need to get a grip!
Do you know the law in this jurisdiction? Do you know if it is illegal to have a gun on school property even if the person isn't loading it, waving it around, showing it off to his buddies, or making threatening gestures?

If not you comment is really pointless.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:30 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
You are so freaking ridiculous! Did you know you can get a hunting license at like age 12 or something and carry a shotgun down the street at that age? Did you even know this at all before running your yap?
all your examples have nothing to do with the topic...taking a gun to school.

what does having a hunting licence at 12 have to do with taking a gun to school?

What does walking down the street with a shotgun have to do with taking a gun to shcool?

You seem to have been unable to understand that my comments were based on the topic...not to your knowlege of every situtation in which a minor child is allowed to carry or possess a firearm.

I hope I was able to help you clear up your confusion.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:37 AM

39,857 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
all your examples have nothing to do with the topic...taking a gun to school.

what does having a hunting licence at 12 have to do with taking a gun to school?

What does walking down the street with a shotgun have to do with taking a gun to shcool?

You seem to have been unable to understand that my comments were based on the topic...not to your knowlege of every situtation in which a minor child is allowed to carry or possess a firearm.

I hope I was able to help you clear up your confusion.
Who "took a gun to school"? The OP links to a kid that had a gun LOCKED IN THE TRUNK OF HIS CAR, that was simply in a school parking lot. But of course that doesn't fit the hyperbole now, does it?

Had he been parked across the street from the school, on non-school property, he'd have been perfectly legal. How does parking in the school lot make it "oh so dangereous" all of a sudden? "Zero tolerance" provides an excuse for administrators to avoid thinking.

It's no difference than the Midol example someone used earlier, or asprin for that matter. "Zero tolerance" allows no independant thought or leeway. If this kid gets expelled, so should someone that brings those items to school. Or like I said, if the school has a "zero tolerance" policy for cell phone use during the day, a kid that forgets to turn their phone off should face the same penalty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies