Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 10:19 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,777,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I have 2. How about you?
I have 1 here, and one is due in July.

Is it not reasonable to have a child and pay off a student loan simultaneously?

Quote:
He was a trust fund baby, something that was none of his doing. Why should he be congratulated for being born wealthy?
Why should he be villified for being wealthy? He created his wealth on his own, albiet with some assistance in life from his father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 10:23 AM

29,210 posts, read 22,341,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
They did. It wasn't like they were a starving, struggling couple with no help from family. Both Mitt and Ann came from wealthy parentage.
Yup. Mitt's trust fund was plenty large enough for Mitt and Ann to live large while going to school. Mitt's a cheapskate, though, and lived below his family's standard of living until he was all graduated up.

Cheap' is relative. They never had to decide which bills needed to be paid first, and they never had to worry about paying for the family car- they always drove a new Rambler for as long as his father owned American Motors. Living downscale for Mitt is the life most of us live for all our lives.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:24 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,966,236 times
Quote:
I have 2. How about you?

He was a trust fund baby, something that was none of his doing. Why should he be congratulated for being born wealthy?
Romney made his own way in the world. He donated his inheritance.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:26 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,966,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yup. Mitt's trust fund was plenty large enough for Mitt and Ann to live large while going to school. Mitt's a cheapskate, though, and lived below his family's standard of living until he was all graduated up.

Cheap' is relative. They never had to decide which bills needed to be paid first, and they never had to worry about paying for the family car- they always drove a new Rambler for as long as his father owned American Motors. Living downscale for Mitt is the life most of us live for all our lives.
I can find no evidence that the Romney's lived off of a trust fund.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:31 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,777,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
In the late 1970's, university professors weren't making $100,000 a year. They probably could not afford to buy a house like Romney's for cash outright, and many wouldn't have been able to afford the mortgage on such a house.

106 Winn St, Belmont, MA 02478 - Zillow

I don't hate rich people, at all. I'm pointing out that the Romneys weren't living a meager existence. Many college students live in basement apartments. I lived in an attic apartment and in a basement apartment when I was in college. I also worked two jobs on top of going to school full-time. I respect that Mr Romney wasn't living high on the hog when he was at school, and that he is an astute businessman. I respect Mr Romney's faith, and I respect that he and his wife raised a family they can be proud of. But that doesn't mean that we cannot acknowledge that Mr Romney was born with many advantages, and that his wealth has insulated him from a lot of the issues that average Americans must face.

From your link:
Year Built:1935
Last Sold:Aug 1978 for $81,000

80 grand for a house in '78 is what I'd consider reasonable. It's current value of 750K is outragous, IMO.

As far as living in a basement apartment, if you don't consider that living a meger existance, what DO you consider a meger existance? Cardboard box in the alley?

No doubt being born to wealthy parents makes you more privileged, but doesn't mean it removes your ability to empathize with the plight of the common man.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:33 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,859,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Where did he obtain the stocks that he and Ann lived off of when he was at BYU? He was born with advantages that most of us do not have. That's the simple truth. It doesn't make him a bad person. He seems like a very good person, as a matter of fact. He has morals and values. His work with the Olympics. The fact that he didn't accept a salary for being governor. The fact that he wanted to serve his country as President of the United States. These things demonstrate that he is a good person. He doesn't have to have been a poor man to be a good man. But he never was poor. He never lived a meager existence. And there's nothing wrong with pointing that out.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:35 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,334,920 times
Quote:
He and his wife lived off the proceeds of a stock portfolio. Fact-Checking Ann and Mitt Romney's Hardknock Early Years - Elspeth Reeve - The Atlantic Wire

Old 05-03-2013, 10:37 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,903,542 times
Quote:
Romney made his own way in the world. He donated his inheritance.
No, he donated the EQUIVALENT of his inheritance 30 years after he got it. You'll notice he sure as hell invested and made a lot of money off of that inheritance. How do you think he got the money to start bain capital in the 1980's so soon after he graduated?

Old 05-03-2013, 10:40 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,334,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
From your link:

80 grand for a house in '78 is what I'd consider reasonable. It's current value of 750K is outragous, IMO.

As far as living in a basement apartment, if you don't consider that living a meger existance, what DO you consider a meger existance? Cardboard box in the alley?

No doubt being born to wealthy parents makes you more privileged, but doesn't mean it removes your ability to empathize with the plight of the common man.
You seriously believe that Mitt Romney "empathizes with the plight of the common man"?

Old 05-03-2013, 10:45 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,859,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
From your link:

I consider it a meager existence when you have to choose between food and utility bills. I consider it a meager existence when you have to go to the landlord and explain that your car needed new brakes, so you're going to be late with the rent this month. I consider it a meager existence when the car breaks down and you end up walking six miles to work the next day. I consider it a meager existence when, at the end of the week, when you've paid all the bills and bought the groceries, you realize you don't have any money left to pay for gas for the car. I consider it a meager existence when you're sick, but you don't even entertain the idea of going to the doctor, because you can't afford it. I consider it a meager existence that when you go to the dentist for an abscess, you choose to have the tooth taken out, because you can't afford a root canal.

Last week I was working in my yard, and the little girls across the street came over to play with my dog. They casually mentioned that their electricity had gone out, and they were living without power for the weekend. Their mother didn't have the money to pay the electric bill. They don't have TV because their mother can't afford to pay for cable. Their yard hasn't been mowed for a month because their grandfather brings his mower over to do it, and he's been sick. They are barely scraping by. That's a meager existence.

Being born to wealthy parents makes you more privileged, because it comes with a set of advantages. Certainly it doesn't remove your ability to empathize, but it also means that you make a host of assumptions about life, and those assumptions don't always apply. It's great that Mr Romney found a way to fund his education without student loans. But you can't assume that everyone can do this because he did. He did it because he sold off shares of stock. How many high school kids have substantial stock portfolios that can be liquidated and pay for undergraduate and graduate school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies