Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 06:42 PM

11 posts, read 12,628 times

Advertisements

My grandfather is 82 and was born in August 1930, he is Irish, Sicilian, Dutch, German, Spanish(Spain), English and Portuguese descent, he had a tough life and grew up with a very strict father who beat him but my grandfather claimed it was tough love and he's happy he didn't grow up like a "pansy", he grew up in The Bronx in the 30s and 40s, he was a tall(6 foot 2 1/2 barefoot which is very tall today and back then was abnormally tall), athletic and very good looking guy(he modeled), he had deep golden brown tans, great facial structure, strong jawline, high cheekbones, full lips, very thick wavy medium brown hair and very bright pale ice blue eyes with his now all white hair that still light up a room and it is the first thing he is complimented on today... He was drafted into the US Army in 1951 and old pictures show him with a short black recruit who he jokingly called "jimmy the cricket", he was never a racist, my father told me he stuck up for blacks and was in fist fights over it as a kid, but my grandfather is a Conservative and devout Catholic, he calls Obama the n-word and still says "colored", he grew up in a different time I know. He said he wouldn't like if a female in his family dated a black male. He has had cancer since 2000 and is now a widower, he got more sick around 2010 but is still around, he is now very thin and a few weeks ago he was in the hospital and was heavily sedated, he woke up bugging out about a man in his room speaking Chinese, he called up one of his daughters telling her to "get the ch*nk out of my room!". He calmed down in a few minutes I guess coming off of the drugs, I know this may be from his past war experiences.

One of his grandsons(he has 10 grandchildren) is bisexual, my grandfather can tell by his very feminine voice and my grandfather sometimes grins and looks at one of his sons when he talks but never says anything.

It really makes me sick.. I am 16 and I am very liberal, I don't like racists, homophobes, etc... What can I do to change him before he dies. One time he did defend a black female nurse against an uppity doctor who scolded her for not watching him, he said to the doctor "no she is doing a good job, its a tough job, my wife was a nurse, i respect them".. He then said "west indians are better looking than most n..gro women, they must have white or something else in them", then to top it off said to my cousin who he knows is g-y or whatever "she has a nice rack eh? what? you don't like that? whats the matter with you?" which really upset me he later apologized.

Its funny because I look back on old pictures of him with his Puerto Rican girlfriend in the early 50s showing my grandfather as a tall muscular newly returned GI sitting outside of a 50s style diner, he looked very happy, he eventually married my now deceased grandmother who was very beautiful and of mostly Italian and English descent(he seemed to like women who could tan like him).

Old 05-04-2013, 06:46 PM

56 posts, read 92,340 times
Sounds a lot like my father, I see nothing wrong with a man who served his country in war when called, worked his entire life and raised his family. Most from that generation are not politically correct, but most people would prefer people to be "real" and upfront rather than the smiling in your face - talk behind your back coward type. They may seem fragile and weak today, but back in the day they weren't the ones to mess with.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:50 PM

44 posts, read 59,456 times
His racism is rather "soft" considering the time he grew up in..

Old 05-04-2013, 06:51 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Give the man a break. 82 year old racist "homophobes" ain't hurting nobody.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:52 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenLibChik View Post
My grandfather is 82 and was born in August 1930, he is Irish, Sicilian, Dutch, German, Spanish(Spain), English and Portuguese descent, he had a tough life and grew up with a very strict father who beat him but my grandfather claimed it was tough love and he's happy he didn't grow up like a "pansy", he grew up in The Bronx in the 30s and 40s, he was a tall(6 foot 2 1/2 barefoot which is very tall today and back then was abnormally tall), athletic and very good looking guy(he modeled), he had deep golden brown tans, great facial structure, strong jawline, high cheekbones, full lips, very thick wavy medium brown hair and very bright pale ice blue eyes with his now all white hair that still light up a room and it is the first thing he is complimented on today... He was drafted into the US Army in 1951 and old pictures show him with a short black recruit who he jokingly called "jimmy the cricket", he was never a racist, my father told me he stuck up for blacks and was in fist fights over it as a kid, but my grandfather is a Conservative and devout Catholic, he calls Obama the n-word and still says "colored", he grew up in a different time I know. He said he wouldn't like if a female in his family dated a black male. He has had cancer since 2000 and is now a widower, he got more sick around 2010 but is still around, he is now very thin and a few weeks ago he was in the hospital and was heavily sedated, he woke up bugging out about a man in his room speaking Chinese, he called up one of his daughters telling her to "get the ch*nk out of my room!". He calmed down in a few minutes I guess coming off of the drugs, I know this may be from his past war experiences.

One of his grandsons(he has 10 grandchildren) is bisexual, my grandfather can tell by his very feminine voice and my grandfather sometimes grins and looks at one of his sons when he talks but never says anything.

It really makes me sick.. I am 16 and I am very liberal, I don't like racists, homophobes, etc... What can I do to change him before he dies. One time he did defend a black female nurse against an uppity doctor who scolded her for not watching him, he said to the doctor "no she is doing a good job, its a tough job, my wife was a nurse, i respect them".. He then said "west indians are better looking than most n..gro women, they must have white or something else in them", then to top it off said to my cousin who he knows is g-y or whatever "she has a nice rack eh? what? you don't like that? whats the matter with you?" which really upset me he later apologized.

Its funny because I look back on old pictures of him with his Puerto Rican girlfriend in the early 50s showing my grandfather as a tall muscular newly returned GI sitting outside of a 50s style diner, he looked very happy, he eventually married my now deceased grandmother who was very beautiful and of mostly Italian and English descent(he seemed to like women who could tan like him).
You're 16 and have been dumbed downed by the liberal education system. Just keep quiet and show your grandfather the respect he deserves.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:52 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeekerBot View Post
Sounds a lot like my father, I see nothing wrong with a man who served his country in war when called, worked his entire life and raised his family. Most from that generation are not politically correct, but most people would prefer people to be "real" and upfront rather than the smiling in your face - talk behind your back coward type. They may seem fragile and weak today, but back in the day they weren't the ones to mess with.
What does "not politically correct" mean? Should it be OK for him to be racist, sexist and homophobic because he fought in a war?

Old 05-04-2013, 06:54 PM

1,127 posts, read 904,360 times
Why is my grandfather turning racist and homophobic?

He's not turning, he is and probably has been for most of his life and at 82 years old, it's extremely unlikely he will change.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:02 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
Really?

Old 05-04-2013, 07:05 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:
It really makes me sick.. I am 16 and I am very liberal, I don't like racists, homophobes, etc... What can I do to change him before he dies
Why do you want to change him back before he dies? You can't anyway. If he's becoming senile, he won't remember new things, but his long-term memory will remain good.
I'd just leave him alone. It's not like he's running for office.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:08 PM

1,127 posts, read 904,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Why do you want to change him back before he dies? You can't anyway. If he's becoming senile, he won't remember new things, but his long-term memory will remain good.
I'd just leave him alone. It's not like he's running for office.
Yeah, my advice for the teen, love him and cherish him,for better or for worse, he's your grandpa.

Politics is not worth ruining your relationship with your loved ones. Accept him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies