Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 10:41 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
What are you talking about????

The charter IS our constitution, PERIOD, end of story. This charter makes every single Canadian one hundred times more free from harrassment by the STATE than an American.

When was the last time you ever heard of a Canadian being arrested for lying to the police? I don't ever recall a case. It's an everyday occurence in the USA. Can you recall any Canadians being taken in for questioning without being arrested? If a cop told me I had to come with him I'd tell him to F off and arrest me, then I'd sue his azz off for false arrest.

Our constitution does one thing the US constitution is supposed to do but DOES NOT in practise. It puts the rights of the individual above any and all rights of the state.
Ummmm, yeah. I was addressing THIS guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough
I am far from an American conservative, and I don't have a position on whether Canadians "exchange their freedoms", but I do think that in certain respects they are less free than Americans.

First, they don't have a constitution (I know they think they do, but since it's not a document I would call it more of a notion than a constitution) and they don't have the same level of protection of freedom of speech that we do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 10:52 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
What are you talking about????

The charter IS our constitution, PERIOD, end of story. This charter makes every single Canadian one hundred times more free from harrassment by the STATE than an American.
I think, technically, the Charter of Rights and Freedoms is IN the Constitution of Canada.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I think, technically, the Charter of Rights and Freedoms is IN the Constitution of Canada.
In any case, it's far more than a "notion". How rude!

Old 05-02-2013, 11:47 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,063 times
LOL. How would you even get the idea that it is just a notion? Because it's not called, "The Constitution"? Doesn't make any sense.

As someone else already said, our Constitution isn't even enforced much of the time. And then we have judges arbitrarily changing the interpretations of it...and they weren't even democratically elected.

Anyway, I'm not Canadian, but I see no significant difference in basic rights and freedoms. At least the ones I care about. I don't need a right to spout off hate speech or own an assault weapon. Also, I don't think the government would be spying on me for being in a pacifist group and labeling me as a terrorist in Canada. Unlike the US. And then...they wouldn't have the right to detain me indefinitely after labeling me a terrorist for being in said pacifist group!

Also, they have the Trailer Park Boys and The Weakerthans (who gave me my C-D name). I'd already be living in BC if they would take me! But alas...

On an unrelated note...I used to take calls for a Canadian business. Everyone was soooo nice. Unlike the Americans I took calls from when doing customer service for American companies. Except the people in Alberta for some reason. A lot of rednecks who were really rude up in that province....

Last edited by soanchorless; 05-02-2013 at 11:57 PM..

Old 05-02-2013, 11:58 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
In any case, it's far more than a "notion". How rude!
I agree wholeheartedly, weltz. I was just being an ass. lol

Is this the proof that guy wants? I don't know if he feels like doing some reading, or not.

The Canadian Constitution

^^ is that considered a "document"? lol

Maybe some basic, short form visuals? These should help...because they are on "paper"

I don't know who's signature is in blue there on this one, but Diefenbaker's in down there.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:37 AM

510 posts, read 430,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
And why a lot of Americans go north for prescription drugs rather than pay 5 or 10 times as much for the same exact meds.
Strangely enough this is also why American drugs are so expensive, since we're the only ones paying the full development cost of those drugs.

This also reminds me of how Canada and every other Western nation gets free national defense courtesy the American taxpayer's wallet.

And of course Canada is objectively less free for the simple reason that unlike America you get hauled before a court and fined if you say something unkind about Muslims in Canada.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:40 AM

Oooh, it looks all official-like!
Bet that guy Jack thought it was written on birch bark. In beaver blood and poutine gravy.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:
This also reminds me of how Canada and every other Western nation gets free national defense courtesy the American taxpayer's wallet
Oh, baloney! You're not magnanimously defending Canadians; you're only defending yourselves. You don't want to see Russia from your house.
In North Dakota.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:50 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i'm not tremendously familiar with Canadian law, but as i understand it, canada, aus, nz, and the uk all have a different concept of "Freedom" than the United States.

in the U.S. we view freedom as the freedom to do what we want without government interference. Freedom has a downside -- it means the government doesn't step in and mediate as often if you screw up, or if you have a run of bad luck, or any sort of disadvantage or misfortune. That's the inherent price of freedom.

what people from Canada / Aus / NZ / UK seem to call "freedom," in my view, is actually "protection." The word "Freedom" is often used to refer to the government enabling people to live "free from something", like socialized healthcare is "freedom from worry."
Rubbish! I almost got a fine in the US for not crossing a street at the crossing.I couldn't believe a cop was telling me how to cross a street and almost told him to get a life. Lucky I didn't, as my co-workers said I would be on the ground and handcuffed in double quick time.

People in NZ, are just as free to get health insurance, as people in the US. So I think that little theory doesn't hold much water.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:59 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
It is amazing, what one can learn from reading city data forum. I had no idea that "kinder eggs" even existed, much less that they are "banned" in the U.S. Thanks for enlightening me!
You're missing out. The chocolate alone is far better than anything found in the candy aisle of the grocery store. While there is a candy similar to the Kinder egg, it's chocolate is terrible compared to kinder eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies