Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 04:10 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,020,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Horse pucky!

You got seat belt laws down there? Speed limits? Soda size restrictions ?

We've got Universal health care, the sole differentiating article.

You've got cradle to grave, multi-generational welfare, EBT cards, Free cel-phones,.
TSA grope searches, TSA stop and search abilities on your major Highways WITHOUT either probable cause OR a warrant, Homeland Security flying drones over your neighbourhoods and you presume to think of us as either a "nanny" state or less free while craving protection.

You've got the FBI, CIA, BATF, Homeland Security, TSA and plethora of other agencies all created to make you feel more secure and protected. How's that working for ya?

Canada has the RCMP and an organization called CSIS - That's it!

It ain't us all buying up guns and ammunition in some irrational fear of the end of days or my own government coming to impede my rights.

You folks talk a good game but after all is said and done you're behaving like a bunch of scared school kids all afraid of your own shadows. That ain't what I call FREE!

I'll take our Charter of Rights and Freedoms over your Constitution (that's proven to be only worth what an appointed group of justices make it to be anyway and otherwise ignored or abrogated for decades) any old day of the week.

SHEEESH!
Exactly, the US is one of the worst police states in the world today. Americans are just a bunch of sheep brainwashed into believing that they actually have freedom. I suspect that most Americans who believe that the US is a more free nation have probably never even stepped foot out side the US.

I have traveled extensively in three countries. The US, Canada, and Japan. Both the Canadian and Japanese customs and immigration agents treated me better and with more respect then the "Gestapo" police do in my own country.

To get into Japan, I simply had to show them my passport. They stamped it and sent me on my way. Never even searched my bags. To get into Canada, I had to answer three of four questions, and they sent me on my way with out even searching my bags.

I have been stopped and interrogated more then that by American cops. I have had my car and myself searched without probable cause, in total violation of the US Constitution. In the US, there are all kinds of internal police check points, where the police check your papers. No where else has this happened since Nazi Germany. Today you can drive all over Europe and never run into such a check point.

So tell me again, that we have so freaking much freedom in this country.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 04:44 AM

29,209 posts, read 22,333,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I'm quite sure the Canadians don't think they are "less free" than U.S. citizens.
Although there a LOT of them who spend a LOT of time in Northwestern Montana!
One has to wonder why?
Probably because they live in E. Alberta. Montana is closer to E. Alberta than the Canadian Rockies are, and they come for the mountains, timber and lakes.

I've spent a lot of time in Canada, and they most definitely feel more free there than we do, and Canadians are not as grim as we are.
They also can't understand why, in their view, we persist in making our lives harder than necessary.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:48 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,359,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
A pretty self-explanatory thread. This was inspired by my fiancee, who is a Canadian citizen. We were discussing the political views of many American conservatives and she mentioned that many may feel that Canadians exchange their "freedoms". What do you think?
Nope, I grew up in the PNW and often went to Canada and actually would like to live there, but I don't make enough $ nor do I have a wanted profession.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:55 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,712,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Horse pucky!

You got seat belt laws down there? Speed limits? Soda size restrictions ?

We've got Universal health care, the sole differentiating article.

You've got cradle to grave, multi-generational welfare, EBT cards, Free cel-phones,.
TSA grope searches, TSA stop and search abilities on your major Highways WITHOUT either probable cause OR a warrant, Homeland Security flying drones over your neighbourhoods and you presume to think of us as either a "nanny" state or less free while craving protection.

You've got the FBI, CIA, BATF, Homeland Security, TSA and plethora of other agencies all created to make you feel more secure and protected. How's that working for ya?

Canada has the RCMP and an organization called CSIS - That's it!

It ain't us all buying up guns and ammunition in some irrational fear of the end of days or my own government coming to impede my rights.

You folks talk a good game but after all is said and done you're behaving like a bunch of scared school kids all afraid of your own shadows. That ain't what I call FREE!

I'll take our Charter of Rights and Freedoms over your Constitution (that's proven to be only worth what an appointed group of justices make it to be anyway and otherwise ignored or abrogated for decades) any old day of the week.

SHEEESH!

What, Canada doesn't have welfare? Canada doesn't have police?

If you think Canada is so damn free, try opening an English-speaking-only business in Montreal and see how "free" that is.

The difference here is that you know all this obscure, irrelevant stuff about America (many of which are local laws), while nobody in America knows about Canada. We just don't pay attention. But google "Canada Nanny state" and you'll get a ton of these stupid little laws, just like you get in America.

http://www.thestar.com/yourtoronto/e..._ball_ban.html
http://www.vancouversun.com/life/gho...539/story.html
http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/09...-canada-panel/

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2012...nny_state.html

Mississaugua city council has either passed or decided to consider bans on privately bred cats and dogs, access to tanning salons for minors, shark fin products, excessive bird feeders on residential property and the sale of art supplies to minors that could be used for graffiti.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:14 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,639,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
That's really offensive. We hold our Charter of Rights and Freedoms very dear. What gives you the right to say it's "just a notion"? No, we don't have a constitution, as you know it. We also don't have Republicans.
What gives me the right?

We have a constitution that guarantees me the right to say anything I want, even if it offends somebody. In Canada, however, if I wanted to say something hateful about gays, or Jews, or some other group (not that I want to) I could be prosecuted for it.

As for the nature of your constitution, here's what Wikipedia says. Are they wrong?

The Constitution of Canada is the supreme law in Canada; the country's constitution is an amalgamation of codified acts and uncodified traditions and conventions. It is one of the oldest working constitutions in the world, with a basis in the Magna Carta.[1] The constitution outlines Canada's system of government, as well as the civil rights of all Canadian citizens and those in Canada. Interpretation of the Constitution is called Canadian constitutional law.
Constitution of Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-03-2013, 05:19 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,639,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
In any case, it's far more than a "notion". How rude!
You're welcome to call me rude if you want, but the documents you people are referring to are apparently a part of the constitution. You might as well tell me that the Bill of Rights is the United States Constitution.

If your constitution as you officially define it includes an agglomeration of unwritten and uncodified concepts and traditions I'm going to continue to call it more a notion than a constitution.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:23 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,938,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Canadians are used to high taxes, over regulation and living in a nanny state.

A lot of what they have in place would never work in the US.
With that "nanny state" comes MORE freedoms. Canadians are free from not going bankrupt from medical debt because they lack insurance. They are free from being destitute because they lost their job.

In America, we have the illusion of freedom while we are really less free from pitfalls of society.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:32 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,938,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Why their taxes are so high. Has to pay for that "free" health care.

Why a lot of Canadians go south for medical treatment rather than wait in line for a procedure.
First, a lot of Canadians do not go south for treatment. That is a myth. A few do who have unique diseases which are better treated in a specialized facility for that disease. With only 25 million people, it doesn't make sense to have such a center. It's the same as someone in Wyoming flying to NY or Boston to be treated in a special cancer center.

Second, their health care costs are half of what the U.S. government pays per person and theirs covers everyone.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:15 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,032,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
We think if you want to live like Canadians then go live there.
LOL Nah Canada's too cold! Try Australia- Tropical climate, much more free and better cared for than the $tate$. Way better place to live

Old 05-03-2013, 07:19 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,770,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I'm quite sure the Canadians don't think they are "less free" than U.S. citizens.
Although there a LOT of them who spend a LOT of time in Northwestern Montana!
One has to wonder why?
Glacier NP and tourism economy? I remember as a kid growing up there that you could pay with either American or Canadian currency, and I always thought it was awesome when I got change back that had a Canadian quarter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies