Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2013, 10:35 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times

Advertisements

Canada is among the best places in the world to live, according to a new quality of life measure from a leading international organization that compared rich industrialized nations.

The "Better Life Index" from the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development launched Tuesday finds Canada among the leaders in most of the 24 indicators measured, everything from hard data dealing with jobs and income, to perceptions of something the OECD calls "life satisfaction."

- Calculate your own formula for 'A Better Life' with the OECD's interactive tool
The index is scheduled to be released Tuesday but the data was on the OECD website Monday Canada places 3rd

The Paris-based organization does not give an overall ranking, but if all the indicators are added up and given equal weighting, Canada would come in third behind Australia and Sweden.

Ironically, Australians don't see themselves so blessed. On the life satisfaction measure, Australians gave themselves a 7.2 out of 10, while Canadians were at 7.4. Residents of Switzerland topped the indicator with a 7.8.

"Canada performs exceptionally well in measures of well-being, as shown by the fact that it ranks among the top countries in a large number of topics in the Better Life Index," the organization says in its profile of the country.
- Click here to read the OECD's complete report on Canada's quality of life

"In general, Canadians are more satisfied with their lives than the OECD average, with 82 per cent of people saying they have more positive experiences in an average day than negative ones."

Canada's high ranking comes about because it scores inside the Top 10 in most of the major ones and above average overall among the 36 advanced countries studied.

Canada did rank first in a couple of minor sub-indicators. For example, with 2.6 rooms per person, Canadians are on average the best housed by that measure, and they are also among the safest, reporting the fewest assaults.

Two thirds trust their government
Perhaps surprising, Canadians also appear to trust their governments more than many others. According to the OECD, 67 per cent say they trust their political institutions, well above the 36-country average of 56 per cent.
However, when it comes to voting, Canadians fell well below the OECD average of 72 per cent with a record of only 61 per cent.

On more mainstream criteria, Canada ranked in the Top 10 in terms of household disposable income, wealth, educational attainment, self-reported health — although the 81-year life expectancy is middle of the pack.

Canadians also did well in terms of work-life balance, working an average of 1,702 hours a year, less than the OECD average of 1,776.

Overall, the OECD comparison is more flattering to Canadians than the recent Human Development Index from the United Nations, which had Canada slipping to number 11 in 2012.
Income disparity a problem

The OECD measure appears more broad-based, with 11 major categories of well-being measured, as opposed the UN's three — health, education and living standard.

Both, however, include subjective elements that have given rise to skepticism about their usefulness for public policy. While many of the OECD indicators are based on hard data, such as incomes, employment rates and life expectancy, it also includes self-reporting evaluations of such subjective criteria as life satisfaction, state of personal health and water quality.

While mostly positive, the OECD analysis of Canada is not all glowing. It points out that despite a high income level, Canada also has a high level of income disparity.

As well, Canada gets a below average score on job security, with 11 per cent of employees working on a "contract" of six months or less, slightly higher than the OECD average of 10 per cent.

Source: Canada picked among best places to live - News - MSN CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 10:45 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
Were not #1 we are #3

Old 05-28-2013, 02:16 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Horse pucky!

You got seat belt laws down there? Speed limits? Soda size restrictions ?

We've got Universal health care, the sole differentiating article.

You've got cradle to grave, multi-generational welfare, EBT cards, Free cel-phones,.
TSA grope searches, TSA stop and search abilities on your major Highways WITHOUT either probable cause OR a warrant, Homeland Security flying drones over your neighbourhoods and you presume to think of us as either a "nanny" state or less free while craving protection.

You've got the FBI, CIA, BATF, Homeland Security, TSA and plethora of other agencies all created to make you feel more secure and protected. How's that working for ya?

Canada has the RCMP and an organization called CSIS - That's it!

It ain't us all buying up guns and ammunition in some irrational fear of the end of days or my own government coming to impede my rights.

You folks talk a good game but after all is said and done you're behaving like a bunch of scared school kids all afraid of your own shadows. That ain't what I call FREE!

I'll take our Charter of Rights and Freedoms over your Constitution (that's proven to be only worth what an appointed group of justices make it to be anyway and otherwise ignored or abrogated for decades) any old day of the week.

SHEEESH!
You nailed it. It's almost comical how my fellow American brothers and sisters think we are so free. The US has turned into a Police State and it's getting worse every year. I refuse to talk politics with anyone I know because the only argument they can provide is from one standpoint. Liberal vs Conservative. Republican vs Democrat. Too blind and brainwashed to see that the bipartisan system is screwing everyone. That things aren’t black and white. Everyone here is taught to believe one or two ways. And they never see that both sides are stealing their freedoms. Our politicians are bought and paid for by large corporations. Laws get passed that snatch away our freedom. Meanwhile, you have this large population of middle class or what used to be middle class wanting to think and act like the upper class. They back laws and politicians that clearly help or want to help the rich at the expense of those who are not. We are inundated with materialism and consumerism to distract us from what is really going on. It's infuriating to see and for those with our eyes open, it’s frustrating because you feel so helpless. Nothing has value anymore because everyone has thin skin and laws must be put in place so that everyone is entitled to everything. Everyone gets a trophy! Laziness is rewarded. College Education in the US used to mean something. Not anymore! Just the latest avenue to turn a potential US worker into an indentured servant. And most can’t see it. Land of the free? No, not any more. I’m scared to think what this country will look like in 15-20 years. 10 different government agencies that can kick in your door at any time. If they mess up? Oh well. "sorry". Want to build something on YOUR land? Better be up to code or they’ll make you tear it down! Want to own a certain plant that grows naturally on this earth? Well the ATF and FBI will be glad to kick your door in and violate whatever constitutional rights you have to make an example of you. Can’t afford an attorney? No problem, we’ll appoint the Public Defender who’s in bed with the DA. You’ll be railroaded by the system free of charge. Our government continues to p*ss on the constintution and nothing is being done. No, they'd rather bicker over who can get married or what a woman can do with her body. Let's not fight over real issues, let's fight over what your neighbor can do behind closed doors that does not concern you!

One long rant and I barely hit the tip of the iceberg!

Old 05-28-2013, 05:05 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
For all the above reasons, I would consider Canada any day as a place to live...over the US. I have many Canadian friends, they are all happy to live there. That is Somthing you can't say about their neibor to the south.
I had the chance years ago to move, wish now I had done it.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:03 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,514,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
For all the above reasons, I would consider Canada any day as a place to live...over the US. I have many Canadian friends, they are all happy to live there. That is Somthing you can't say about their neibor to the south.
I had the chance years ago to move, wish now I had done it.
Do you consider any portion of America to be superior or closer to a Canadian ideal than others?

Old 05-30-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
Do you consider any portion of America to be superior or closer to a Canadian ideal than others?
That is a loaded question, first We are all residents of America, North America. people wise the most in common will be those areas directly in the north and south geography , Makes for a common bound due to similar lifestyles, IE; Midwest, Western Mountains, and the West Coast. In the East it's less pronounced because of Quebec and its French culture

To answer your question directly, on the merits of those living simular lifestyles, I would have to say the Midwest/ Great Plains. This vast farming/ ranching country shares a lot in common north and south of the border.. When it comes to alternate lifestyles, Liberals, Ocean, its hard to separate , say Seattle people from those in Vancouver. Of coarse, living is a border town or city wall always share likes, from same jobs and same weather, its best example Detroit/Windsor and Buffalo / Niagara Falls .

Taking a long hard look at the two Country's, its obvious that we share the longest lightly protected border in the world. I know many Farmers who's farms in ND extend into MB and SK. and vice verse.The Native Americans who have lived in these areas all across the two country landscape for a very long time consider themselves as citizens of North America....to them there is no stikin border !

Old 05-30-2013, 04:33 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,514,833 times
I would much agree with that. Sask, Alberta, and of Manitoba remind me of a lot of some portions of the US. I haven't been to either Seattle or Vancouver yet, but indeed I think one would be pressed to find anything too discernible. As someone who grew up on the border in metro Detroit, I can attest to what you say of Windsor/Detroit. There is a good bit of mixing to the point where it feels more similar than it does different. This seems rather logical, as culture swapping often happens a la gene flow, especially since borders are more or less arbitrary and the world itself does not necessarily conform around them.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:46 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Canada is among the best places in the world to live, according to a new quality of life measure from a leading international organization that compared rich industrialized nations.
These surveys are about as useless as a Popsicle salesman in an Eskimo village.

They totally ignore the demographics of various countries. They in no way reflect reality.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
These surveys are about as useless as a Popsicle salesman in an Eskimo village.

They totally ignore the demographics of various countries. They in no way reflect reality.
O but they do.....if everyone wanted to live in the same place it would quickly become a very crowded place!

Old 05-31-2013, 06:11 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
O but they do.....if everyone wanted to live in the same place it would quickly become a very crowded place!
Show me where they normalize for demographics and I'll believe you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies