Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2013, 06:12 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
For all the above reasons, I would consider Canada any day as a place to live...over the US. I have many Canadian friends, they are all happy to live there. That is Somthing you can't say about their neibor to the south.
I had the chance years ago to move, wish now I had done it.
My friends are all happy here in the USA. You should move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 09:02 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Show me where they normalize for demographics and I'll believe you.
You need to be more clear as to what bothers you about " best Places" titles.? " Normalize" ? Are you saying some of the polls are misleading because there are some demographics left out ?, or too much information put in ? I am not sure where your gripe IS.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:30 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
You , meaning you are Canadian, living in Canada and not Florida and Arizona ? ( then there are the Canadian Snowbirds )..... I know more Canadians that have moved to the US, ( mostly by marring a US citizen ) than the other way around. I am not talking about down and outers ether, these are or will be captains of industry.
Canada on the other hand is very restrictive when it comes to US citizens living there. They once had the " Senior Citizen program of ownership, ( not sure what it was officially called ) , but today thats gone. In order to move North you must have a special talent, thats needed in the country you wish to move. All of the Commonwealth Countries are that way. Most laws between the US and Canada are reciprocal. There are exceptions, but few.

So, I do not understand what the Proff. from Org. is saying and just how he comes to this "free flow pf people across the border". For personal reasons I at one time was almost banned from Canada, and I was only passing through on the way to Alaska.... I wound up with temp. citizenship via a 30 day visa, 500 dollars later....now that paper is framed on my office wall .
There are a lot of workers in Canada that work for multi National Corporations that may be headquartered in the US.I wonder if thisd is what you are talking about ?

Old 06-01-2013, 08:35 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
You , meaning you are Canadian, living in Canada and not Florida and Arizona ? ( then there are the Canadian Snowbirds )..... I know more Canadians that have moved to the US, ( mostly by marring a US citizen ) than the other way around. I am not talking about down and outers ether, these are or will be captains of industry.
Canada on the other hand is very restrictive when it comes to US citizens living there. They once had the " Senior Citizen program of ownership, ( not sure what it was officially called ) , but today thats gone. In order to move North you must have a special talent, thats needed in the country you wish to move. All of the Commonwealth Countries are that way. Most laws between the US and Canada are reciprocal. There are exceptions, but few.

So, I do not understand what the Proff. from Org. is saying and just how he comes to this "free flow pf people across the border". For personal reasons I at one time was almost banned from Canada, and I was only passing through on the way to Alaska.... I wound up with temp. citizenship via a 30 day visa, 500 dollars later....now that paper is framed on my office wall .
There are a lot of workers in Canada that work for multi National Corporations that may be headquartered in the US.I wonder if thisd is what you are talking about ?
I was just funn'n with Roadking with that post. Folks have got to understand that when someone says "if you're not happy here< move out" as a response to a post of complaint they are merely confirming one aspect of why others get frustrated.

I spend 6 months of every year (the cold months) in the U.S. We've done this starting prior to our retirement and to date have spent winters in Texas in places like Mercedes, McAllen and Rockport. California in SanDiego, Arizona in Yuma for six winters in a row and now back in Florida where we purchased a home in 2009.

You can be barred from crossing the 49th in either direction through something as minor as an arrest when taking part in protest march in the 60's if you have not done the proper paperwork. A DUI is also reason enough along with the fact that a border agent in either country just doesn't like the "cut-of-your-jib" this is normal for ANY border crossing anywhere on the planet.

All of these threads comparing our countries based on freedoms etc., are for the most part pointless as I have never been unduly prevented from enjoying my lifestyle in either country. I have never felt discriminated against by either country my entire adult life.

Having travelled considerably over the years worldwide I conclude that BOTH the U.S. AND Canada offer it's citizens an unparalleled amount of general freedom to obtain life enjoyment.

These threads bring the worst out of us by demanding we respond to what is considered either an insult or just a simple slight and when one considers the origin might be from someone who has never left their home town, well, it beggars the imagination to come up with a worse way to foster camaraderie between the two countries.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:36 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:

I was just funn'n with Roadking with that post. Folks have got to understand that when someone says "if you're not happy here< move out" as a response to a post of complaint they are merely confirming one aspect of why others get frustrated.

I spend 6 months of every year (the cold months) in the U.S. We've done this starting prior to our retirement and to date have spent winters in Texas in places like Mercedes, McAllen and Rockport. California in SanDiego, Arizona in Yuma for six winters in a row and now back in Florida where we purchased a home in 2009.

You can be barred from crossing the 49th in either direction through something as minor as an arrest when taking part in protest march in the 60's if you have not done the proper paperwork. A DUI is also reason enough along with the fact that a border agent in either country just doesn't like the "cut-of-your-jib". This is normal for ANY border crossing anywhere on the planet.

All of these threads comparing our countries based on freedoms etc., are for the most part pointless as I have never been unduly prevented from enjoying my lifestyle in either country. I have never felt discriminated against by either country my entire adult life.

Having travelled considerably over the years worldwide I conclude that BOTH the U.S. AND Canada offer it's citizens an unparalleled amount of general freedom to obtain life enjoyment.

These threads bring the worst out of us by demanding we respond to what is considered either an insult or just a simple slight and when one considers the origin might be from someone who has never left their home town, well, it beggars the imagination to come up with a worse way to foster camaraderie between the two countries.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:55 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,074,443 times
We must not forget that a lot of freedoms we claim US have, only exist in some states. As a conservative I don't see US and Canada to be that different if you compare the more liberal states.

You are not allowed to wear a gun for self protection in New York or California either. Maybe in theory, but not in practice.
Taxes are not lower
I consider the Canadian justice system to be superior as it is less influenced by money.
It is not easier to deal with the regulation if you open a business in those states
And both California, New York and Canada has rent control.
And New York just implemented the soda ban
Also, I consider the freedom to marry a gay man, a freedom. And I don't consider US public subsidized health care model to be any better than just an ordinary public model. What is the point with having private health care if we have to pay the same anyway.

One huge benefit with the US, is that states have more freedom to implement the laws they like. Hence, if you don't like laws in one state, then you can move to another. While I don't consider New York or California to be any more free than Canada. I do consider Texas to be more free than Canada.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:08 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
We must not forget that a lot of freedoms we claim US have, only exist in some states. As a conservative I don't see US and Canada to be that different if you compare the more liberal states.

You are not allowed to wear a gun for self protection in New York or California either. Maybe in theory, but not in practice.
Taxes are not lower
I consider the Canadian justice system to be superior as it is less influenced by money.
It is not easier to deal with the regulation if you open a business in those states
And both California, New York and Canada has rent control.
And New York just implemented the soda ban
Also, I consider the freedom to marry a gay man, a freedom. And I don't consider US public subsidized health care model to be any better than just an ordinary public model. What is the point with having private health care if we have to pay the same anyway.

One huge benefit with the US, is that states have more freedom to implement the laws they like. Hence, if you don't like laws in one state, then you can move to another. While I don't consider New York or California to be any more free than Canada. I do consider Texas to be more free than Canada.
Canada doesn't have rent control.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:19 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,074,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Canada doesn't have rent control.
Actually Canada do have rent control
Map: Every rental in Toronto, and if it’s protected by rent control | canada.com

All properties built before 1991 is subjected to rent control.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:21 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Harrier sang "O Canada" last week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies