Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2013, 06:43 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I don't like your use of the word "locked". But I would agree that women would probably spend a lot more time with their children in the absence of public schools. I'm sorry that women hate spending time with their children so much, that they just want to pawn them off on the government for free daycare.

You know, because being a mother is obviously no fun.
Yup, exactly the attitude I was expecting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 07:09 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Yup, exactly the attitude I was expecting.
What else would you expect. You said you didn't want to be at home teaching your kid, you wanted to be out doing something you actually want to be doing.

Like what? Getting your nails done? Watching the matinee?

To me, there is nothing wrong with a woman who wants to work, and sort of needs daycare assistance so that she can work. That is understandable. It is also understandable to want someone who is trained as a teacher, to be the one teaching your kid, because you think they'll do a better job.

But a woman who just doesn't want to be bothered with having to teach her kid how to do math, because she finds it to be boring. That just sounds like a bad parent to me. And I advise any woman with that kind of attitude, to never have children, or give them up for adoption. Because you're a loser.

I mean, what do you do with your kids before they are old enough to go to school? Keep them in daycare all the time? I know a lot of people who don't even work, and who will send their kids off to daycare. I know parents who can't wait for their kids to be old enough to go to school, so they can get free daycare.

Its really disgusting. Keep your legs together, whores.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:31 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
When I was a kid the absolute last thing I wanted was to be stuck at home with my parents.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:45 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Well, if we really look at the people actually running this country. They are overwhelmingly the product of private schools, not public schools. Public schools aren't there to train future leaders. They are there to train the future workers. Future leaders are taught in elite private schools.

This article talks about private and public schools. Of course, in Britain they tend to call them by a different name.

Britain still being run by a private school elite, study shows | Mail Online
The reason why those who run countries come from elite schools, is not because private schools are somehow superior to public schools in their curriculum. Sure, they might have a few classes that public schools might lack - rowing, Chinese, I don't know. Still, the reason private school elite run our countries is because they are the elite. They have more money to run for office, they run in the same circles as other elites who could propel them upwards and with whom they can network. Not because they learned statistics better in private school, or memorized a few more lines of Shakespeare and Chaucer.

In fact, there is an excellent book, The Log Cabin Myth, by Edward Pessen, which points out that the majority of U.S. presidents (despite the "anybody can make it in America" dream) have come from the upper classes. Here's an excerpt from a review of the book:

Quote:
Except for Millard Fillmore, Andrew Johnson and Richard Nixon, Presidents have been better off and of ''higher status'' than the majority of the American people, according to Mr. Pessen. He says only seven of our 39 Presidents have come from the lower middle class or below, even though roughly 87 percent of the population today belongs to those classes. Why, then, have Americans clung so tenaciously to a log cabin myth? Because, Mr. Pessen says, it strengthens our self-image as an egalitarian people. IN SHORT - NONFICTION - NYTimes.com
So no, it's not because they can conjugate verbs better (look at the near-illiterate and very wealthy George W Bush), nor because they can do quadratic equations with their eyes closed. It's because they are wealthy and wealth has an upper edge, and their parents send them to private schools for the simple reason that networking with other wealthy, the wealth is better kept "in house," so to speak, and they're correct.

So, homeschooling, which provides almost 0 networking, is hardly going to help attain the sort of edge that the wealthy who go to private schools have.

Except for Millard Fillmore, Andrew Johnson and Richard Nixon, Presidents have been better off and of ''higher status'' than the majority of the American people, according to Mr. Pessen. He says only seven of our 39 Presidents have come from the lower middle class or below, even though roughly 87 percent of the population today belongs to those classes. Why, then, have Americans clung so tenaciously to a log cabin myth? Because, Mr. Pessen says, it strengthens our self-image as an egalitarian people.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:52 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
When I was a kid the absolute last thing I wanted was to be stuck at home with my parents.
I think home schooling is the worst form of bullying on innocent defenseless children.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:56 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
What else would you expect. You said you didn't want to be at home teaching your kid, you wanted to be out doing something you actually want to be doing.

Like what? Getting your nails done? Watching the matinee?

To me, there is nothing wrong with a woman who wants to work, and sort of needs daycare assistance so that she can work. That is understandable. It is also understandable to want someone who is trained as a teacher, to be the one teaching your kid, because you think they'll do a better job.

But a woman who just doesn't want to be bothered with having to teach her kid how to do math, because she finds it to be boring. That just sounds like a bad parent to me. And I advise any woman with that kind of attitude, to never have children, or give them up for adoption. Because you're a loser.

I mean, what do you do with your kids before they are old enough to go to school? Keep them in daycare all the time? I know a lot of people who don't even work, and who will send their kids off to daycare. I know parents who can't wait for their kids to be old enough to go to school, so they can get free daycare.

Its really disgusting. Keep your legs together, whores.
I'm horrified, and also really hopeful that you don't intend to inflict yourself on a spouse or children.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:17 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I'm horrified, and also really hopeful that you don't intend to inflict yourself on a spouse or children.
Yay misogyny. I knew it was in there! The "keeping your legs together" comment was really the icing on the cake. 100% Class.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Yeah, but I didn't want to be at school either. I wanted to be hanging out with my friends, playing games, riding my bike, going exploring, going to the park, etc.

I mean, I remember very clearly counting the days till summer vacation, and not being happy because the summer never lasted as long as I wanted it to. I also remember loving Christmas vacation.

With that said, I do understand that a lot of kids sort of look forward to going back to school, usually "to see their friends". But I'll be honest with you, I didn't really have any more friends at school than I had at home. Because all of my friends lived in my neighborhood, and we hung out with each other all the time anyway.

I mean, maybe I was just lucky because where I lived, there were a lot of kids my age. My nieces and nephews for instance, there was like twenty kids around my nieces and nephews ages that came by the house to play. I remember having a trampoline in our backyard, and there would be like 5-10 kids on it all the time. We had a swimming pool, it wasn't even that big, like an 18 foot easyset pool. And there would be like 10 kids in it most days in the summer.

My mother was really nice though, and the neighborhood kids all loved her.

We had this shaved ice maker, and my mother would buy the snow-cone flavoring in bulk, because its really cheap in bulk(we just took milk-jugs, and the flavoring is literally almost half sugar, a small amount of flavor, and water). Instead of like $2 snow-cones, you could literally make snowcones for a few cents. We always had like a thousand little plastic cups that everyone would make snow-cones with.

My mother also loved to bake, and she would get over-ripe bananas really cheap from one of the local stores. And she would make literally hundreds of banana bread muffins, and give them away the neighbors.

My mother loved the lake, and we would usually go to the lake about three to five times a year. My grandfather owned some land at the lake, so the whole family would meet there on memorial day, the fourth of July, and labor day. Then we would usually go down a couple other times a year.

My grandfather had a pontoon boat and a little ski boat. And I would bring my friends from home to the lake with me, and we would go out on my grandfathers boat and go skiing. Then go wandering around in the woods.

My mother was also a very intelligent woman. And she spent a lot of time with me. I don't think I am any better off whatsoever because I went to public school. I think I could have just as easily learned the basic subjects just as easily outside of public school. And what school did teach me, wasn't necessarily a good thing. I mean, it seems like most of what you learn in school, is to be superficial and shallow, in the hopes of being popular. It makes you constantly feel insecure, as there are countless people always competing with you for some social hierarchy, which is completely absent in the real world. All while teaching you that some people are just *******s who want to pick on smaller people. And until they turn 18 and can go to jail/prison, no one is going to do much about them. These "tough guys" are gloried and idolized. But in the real world, being a tough guy is actually destructive and disliked.

Basically, you get out of school with messed up priorities, and a totally distorted view of the world. You generally don't shake off this horrible immature, shallow view of the world till your mid 20's. When finally you realize that you need to actually be responsible for yourself, that many other people are lazy and irresponsible, they bum off you all the time and steal your crap, leaving messes all over the place, and get you in trouble. When you finally realize the behavior of young people is annoying, you do finally grow up.

With that said, I do remember a lot of good things about school. But most of what I remember about school, was that there were good looking women there. And when I was a young man, I spent most of my time thinking about women. And once you get out of school, it isn't nearly as easy to be around prospective girls your age.

Outside of going to a club/bar, where its mostly slutty women. Your only real opportunity to be around women, is either through work or through friends or maybe a neighbor. Other than that, you could do some internet dating, or go to church.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
It's because they are wealthy and wealth has an upper edge, and their parents send them to private schools for the simple reason that networking with other wealthy, the wealth is better kept "in house," so to speak, and they're correct.

So, homeschooling, which provides almost 0 networking, is hardly going to help attain the sort of edge that the wealthy who go to private schools have.
I'll generally agree with the fact that private schools, and going to places like Harvard or Yale certainly make it easier to network with people who have money and power, enabling you better access to wealth and power. But I think you underplay the role that the kind of education you get can have in building a persons character.

For instance, bad behavior, people being bullies, being lazy, or being disrespectful to adults is far less likely to occur in homeschool and private school environments than public schools. Public schools tend to be the breeding grounds of bad behavior, violence, and immorality.

Furthermore, people who homeschool their children spend far more time with their children. And I don't know if you know much about human psychology. But parents spending time with their children is incredibly important.

Lastly, I'm not overly concerned with high incomes. I am concerned about quality of life.

The question I have is, do you think children who are homeschooled tend to be more happy than people who go to public school? Do you think people who are homeschooled tend to have better behavior and morals than people who go to public school? Do you think kids who are homeschooled tend to have a better skillset in regards to reading, writing, arithmetic, history, science, etc? Do you think homeschooled kids tend to be harder working, with better study skills, and in general a higher level of personal responsibility than public school kids?

Ultimately, the real basis for how I feel about homeschool. Is that I think people and society in general, would be a far better place if kids were homeschooled. Public schools too often end up being the places that kids learn bad behavior, irresponsibility, laziness, violence. Many people end up with personality disorders and are very insecure, because of the sort of shallow nature of public schools. I have read many times that psychologically, you should never send a child away from their home without their parents, until they are like seven or eight years old. That kids who are younger than seven, are not able to adjust well to being without a sense of security, and that it can psychologically set them back.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:16 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,398,261 times
Default Eye of Sauron...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
No, but you're telling me that kids through 18 should only interact with their mom, unless it's some scheduled interaction under the supervision of a mom.
NO ! I NEVER said that, you are assuming, again. But even if that were so, what do you care ? Geeezzzzz !

Please give up your personal liberties...because I DO NOT like your choices !! You can start with your username.

Other than that, I don't really give a **** ! He he he.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies