Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 09:57 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Arizona has acquired many transplants over the past 20 years or so, and I would fathom to guess that it attracted many middle class African American families that placed more emphasis on education. Combined with the fact that Arizona probably lacked any sort "ghettofied" historical Black population probably explains the statistics.

In general, upward mobility for many Hispanics and African Americans is harder than other demographic groups. They have to overcome negative social environments, discrimination/racism, and cultural isolation from the majority among other things. The members of more successful minority groups usually overcome their minority factor by having tight knit communities, strong support networks, and placing a premium on education.
That is one thing to consider. There are many middle class Black families who have left California for Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 05:21 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,114 times
Need Arizona's black middle class to become popular cult rue.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Because school districts are so different within the same state, let alone different states, it is very difficult to draw any conclusions just off of raw graduation rates.

Just perusing the numbers, I did detect what I see as somewhat of a pattern, States with lower numbers of black male students tended to be the states with better graduation rates.

Nearly all the states with a larger number of black male students seemed to have lower graduation rates.
Colorado has a low number of blacks, percentage-wise, and a low black grad rate plus a large black-white gap of 19%. Nebraska has a low number of blacks and a huge disparity, 42% (not 43% as in the article); Iowa has a low number of blacks and an even larger disparity, 49%!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Ever been to Iowa or Nebraska? The blackest thing in those states is probably the pavement!
Omaha has a large black community on the north side of town. About 13% of Omaha's population is black.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:43 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Colorado has a low number of blacks, percentage-wise, and a low black grad rate plus a large black-white gap of 19%. Nebraska has a low number of blacks and a huge disparity, 42% (not 43% as in the article); Iowa has a low number of blacks and an even larger disparity, 49%!

Omaha has a large black community on the north side of town. About 13% of Omaha's population is black.
Colorado was sort of a shock to me when it came to Black high school graduation rates. Colorado also has one of the lowest White high school graduation rates. It is sort of shocking for me because I looked up some statistics about income. Colorado has a relatively high median family income for African-Americans.

Nebraska, sadly and in some ways might be surprising, has alot of bad statistics for Blacks. Nebraska has one of the poorest Black populations in the USA. Omaha has a high child poverty rate among Blacks, with 6 out of 10 Black children living in poverty. Nebraska also has the 4th highest Black murder victimization rate in the USA(25.58 murders per 100,000). Iowa has a relatively poor Black population as well.

Omaha has a longstanding Black community. Malcolm X was born in Omaha. There is also a Black newspaper there called the Omaha Star.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:05 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantiqua View Post
You're gonna use two celebs as a representative for the majority of black americans? that's incredibly silly
You can't read.

I said that I had no scientific sampling, and that my hunch was just that...a frickin' hunch.

Go play somewhere.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Need Arizona's black middle class to become popular cult rue.
Yea, because the only middle class blacks in America live here In Arizona.
SMH...the ludicrousness never ends.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:22 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea, because the only middle class blacks in America live here In Arizona.
SMH...the ludicrousness never ends.
Stop making yourself look like a fool.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantiqua View Post
Youre brain dead. You used two celebs as a representative that black americans are racially mixed. Which makes you an idiot. They are not the average
Ummmm...everyone on Earth knows that African Americans are racially mixed.

We were quibbling about percentages. DUUUUUUHH!

Periods go at the end of sentences BTW (since you want to dispense education advice in message boxes).

Now enough of me arguing with eee-qua children. Move on.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:18 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
You think you're white now?
dumb question.

did I say we were white? is everyone who did not immigrate directly from west Africa white? "white" is really a made up thing anyways. society determines who is "white" not science.

Last edited by Californian34; 05-05-2013 at 09:57 PM..

Old 05-05-2013, 09:23 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The vast majority of Black Americans have at least 80% West African DNA. The race mixing in the USA was not as high as people think.
that is still less than a west African who is 100% isn't it? if the average African American has 20% non black African dna isn't that like having a non black grandparent? I'm not denying my blackness or my African ancestry. The other black poster and I were just trying to point out that there is a difference, however slight, between west Africans and people of African descent in the Americas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies